PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The Cuse

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-syracuse_basketball_investigation_drug_violation_030512

Remember what Gomer Pyle used to say…“Surprise…Surprise.” :wink:

Oh man do I hope he goes down. Couldn’t happen to a better person >:(

From the article…

“I don’t know anything about it,” Boeheim said. “I would not comment on anything like that. Good luck with your story.”

Asked if he had any knowledge of an NCAA investigation, Boeheim again declined comment.

“Obviously, I’m not going to talk about anything at all,” he said.

Wow, this dude never knows ANYTHING about what’s going on in his program !!!

I’m sure those tests will NOT be revealled. After all, he would want to protect his players’ privacy. What a great guy. College basketball needs more coaches like him. After all, he’s winning !!! :-\ :-X

I am going to try and be polite in saying this. I do not like Jim Boeheim. He is a world class ass.

Can’t they blame everything on the asst. coach who has fired?? :-\

[quote=“Skeeza, post:4, topic:3150”]From the article…

I’m sure those tests will NOT be revealled. After all, he would want to protect his players’ privacy. What a great guy. College basketball needs more coaches like him. After all, he’s winning !!! :-\ :-X[/quote]At what point do we hear the phrase “lack of institutuional control”?

From the article....
“I don’t know anything about it,” Boeheim said. “I would not comment on anything like that. Good luck with your story.”

Asked if he had any knowledge of an NCAA investigation, Boeheim again declined comment.

“Obviously, I’m not going to talk about anything at all,” he said.

I’m sure those tests will NOT be revealled. After all, he would want to protect his players’ privacy. What a great guy. College basketball needs more coaches like him. After all, he’s winning !!! :-\ :-X

At what point do we hear the phrase “lack of institutuional control”?

Right after his first losing season.

I used to call Boeheim “Boo Hoo Boeheim” because he was always whining. I think I will start calling him Jim “Sgt Shultz” Boeheim because his famous quote is “I KNOW NOTHING, NOTHING!”

From a recent Sports Illustrated story:

“The truth is: I like the players, but I like the game,” Boeheim says. “I like to see our players mature and get better. I want them all to graduate. Scoop graduated. But I mean, I like the game. That’s why I’m in it.”

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7649441/syracuse-reports-possible-drug-policy-violations-ncaa

Can you self report after you have been reported. This is like telling your father you hit the garage after he sees you hit the garage with his Lexus.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:11, topic:3150”]http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7649441/syracuse-reports-possible-drug-policy-violations-ncaa

Can you self report after you have been reported. This is like telling your father you hit the garage after he sees you hit the garage with his Lexus.[/quote]
Wait a minute… How can they self-report when Boeheim says “I don’t know anything about it”? :o

Maybe this is part of their defense that there is not a “lack of institutional control”, when it’s actually the institution hiding the results. It’s part of their ‘control’, they just didn’t tell the coach. :wink:

[url=http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7649441/syracuse-reports-possible-drug-policy-violations-ncaa]http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7649441/syracuse-reports-possible-drug-policy-violations-ncaa[/url]

Can you self report after you have been reported. This is like telling your father you hit the garage after he sees you hit the garage with his Lexus.

Wait a minute… How can they self-report when Boeheim says “I don’t know anything about it”? :o

Maybe this is part of their defense that there is not a “lack of institutional control”, when it’s actually the institution hiding the results. It’s part of their ‘control’, they just didn’t tell the coach. :wink:

Well he didn’t know about it until the Yahoo reporters told him, then Syracuse got out in front of it before ESPN picked up the story. Oh I forgot ESPN doesn’t report Syracuse’s transgressions.

ESPN is reporting it. There really isn’t all that much to report on the reporting front. YahooSports is kind of already leading that charge.

But Boeheim is as dirty as they come and if it takes a collection of potheads to take him down I am all for it(even though I don’t really think it is that horrible). I just want him to melt like the dirty witch he is.

This story will get bigger. Boeheim knows nothing. Pretty sad indictment upon him.

Not to dampin the hate. But this is stupid.

Syracuse on its own and unpromted, made a drug policy that was it self a violation of NCAA regs. Nevertheless they set up the policy with a strange AD exemption up till the 5th offense. Even the 4th offense could be appealed to AD for leniency. Just stupid policy as the NCAA would tag you with lack of institutional control for approval of the appeal.

Better to set up small survivable (Ticketing) punishments that are consented to by the coaches that escalate with no appeal than what they did. Its sounds like it was written by an overboard administrator who was disgusted at the casual drug culture and wanted it stopped at all levels. The AD then backdoored an exemption because the coaches all felt that this was too extreme and interfered with their job.

If a player was using drugs to the point of not academically qualifying or “could not play” then Boeheim would have taken care of it another way. Drug abuse is usually the symptom of another issue with a kid. Those problems manifest them selves pretty quickly these days and most coaches still remember Len Bias.

If the administrator did not like the culture then change the culture with new coaches willing to enforce it. Don’t set up policies that the AD can just waive. The policy itself seems to be a violation of NCAA rules with these selective appeals.

So now they are looking a UConn style penalty on a policy that they did not even have to set up.

Stupid

[quote=“charnold, post:15, topic:3150”]Not to dampin the hate. But this is stupid.

Syracuse on its own and unpromted, made a drug policy that was it self a violation of NCAA regs. Nevertheless they set up the policy with a strange AD exemption up till the 5th offense. Even the 4th offense could be appealed to AD for leniency. Just stupid policy as the NCAA would tag you with lack of institutional control for approval of the appeal.

Better to set up small survivable (Ticketing) punishments that are consented to by the coaches that escalate with no appeal than what they did. Its sounds like it was written by an overboard administrator who was disgusted at the casual drug culture and wanted it stopped at all levels. The AD then backdoored an exemption because the coaches all felt that this was too extreme and interfered with their job.

If a player was using drugs to the point of not academically qualifying or “could not play” then Boeheim would have taken care of it another way. Drug abuse is usually the symptom of another issue with a kid. Those problems manifest them selves pretty quickly these days and most coaches still remember Len Bias.

If the administrator did not like the culture then change the culture with new coaches willing to enforce it. Don’t set up policies that the AD can just waive. The policy itself seems to be a violation of NCAA rules with these selective appeals.

So now they are looking a UConn style penalty on a policy that they did not even have to set up.

Stupid[/quote]

I don’t think that drug testing and drug policies are very uncommon in college athletics.

Actually, if I were to guess, I would say that it’s far far more prevelant that colleges do.

I was referring to fact that a drug policy is not required by the NCAA. Only that you enforce that drug policy should you, as a school, choose to have one. The enforcement measures, testing, occurrence counting is all up to you to define as you wish but you have to enforce the rules that you set forth. An appeals structure will by definition result in a failure of institutional control if an appeal is ever held over (therefor you are not following your own rules). That is what is so stupid about it. Why have an appeals structure at all?

NCAA drug testing link:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Health+and+Safety/Drug+Testing/Drug+Testing+Landing+Page

10.2 KNOW LEDGE OF USE OF BANNE D DRUGS
A member institution’s athletics department staff members or others employed by the intercollegiate athletics
program who have knowledge of a student-athlete’s use at any time of a substance on the list of banned drugs,
as set forth in Bylaw 31.2.3.4, shall follow institutional procedures dealing with drug abuse or shall be subject to
disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in Bylaw 19.5.2.2.

18.4.1.5 Ineligibility for Use of Banned Drugs. A student-athlete who, as a result of a drug test administered
by the NCAA, is found to have used a substance on the list of banned drug classes, as set forth in Bylaw
31.2.3.4, shall be declared ineligible for further participation in postseason and regular-season competition in
accordance with the ineligibility provisions in Bylaw 18.4.1.5.1. The certifying institution may appeal to the
Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for restoration of the student-athlete’s eligibility if the institution
concludes that circumstances warrant restoration.

[quote=“Tom, post:19, topic:3150”]10.2 KNOW LEDGE OF USE OF BANNE D DRUGS
A member institution’s athletics department staff members or others employed by the intercollegiate athletics
program who have knowledge of a student-athlete’s use at any time of a substance on the list of banned drugs,
as set forth in Bylaw 31.2.3.4, shall follow institutional procedures dealing with drug abuse or shall be subject to
disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in Bylaw 19.5.2.2.

18.4.1.5 Ineligibility for Use of Banned Drugs. A student-athlete who, as a result of a drug test administered
by the NCAA
, is found to have used a substance on the list of banned drug classes, as set forth in Bylaw
31.2.3.4, shall be declared ineligible for further participation in postseason and regular-season competition in
accordance with the ineligibility provisions in Bylaw 18.4.1.5.1. The certifying institution may appeal to the
Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for restoration of the student-athlete’s eligibility if the institution
concludes that circumstances warrant restoration.[/quote]

Does the NCAA do any of thier own seasonal testing?

Does the test administered by Syracuse count as a test administered by the NCAA?

I think I had heard that the NCAA does testing around some championship games. Do they do any scheduled or random testing of athletes through the rest of the season?