PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The Cheaters' Bracket

It is becoming more and more remarkable to me that the premier event of the college basketball season includes two programs which represent nearly all that is wrong and corrupt about college basketball. I know the coaches managed to distance themselves to some degree from the particulars, but Calhoun and Calipari between them (and UK as an institution) have hit the daily double, the exacta, the trifecta and megabucks of corruption:

[ul][li]Fraudulent test scores[/li]
[li]Payments to players[/li]
[li]Payments to recruits[/li]
[li]Involvement with agents[/li][/ul]

I mean, is anyone focusing on this? It should be half of CBS’s presentation.

WHEN WE ARE TALKING CORRUPTION IN COLLEGE SPORTS, THE THINGS THESE TWO PROGRAMS HAVE DONE ARE WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Tim, I just think that most people don’t care. My guess that of fans for a given school, the non-alums REALLY don’t care, and the alums are probably a mixed bag.

My eyeball test on the issue is that nobody wants to be vigilant and suspicious when their team is doing well (and to be fair, that does result in a presumption of innocence, which isn’t the worst thing in the world).

So Cal and Cal cheated. The universities did their bit by crafting sternly worded memos, so you can’t conclude that nobody is taking this seriously. To think you can ever stamp this stuff out is silly, so I suggest that the schools who don’t want any part of this, form their own league. Unfortunately, most schools, including PSU, are willing to put up with the corruption because of the high revenue that the TV networks help provide.

If you want to root for pure student-athletes, follow the club sports teams. As long as you’re watching D-1 intercollegiate athletics, assume that it’s semi-professional (they ARE getting paid many thousands of dollars each year, just in the form of goods and services).

I don’t disagree, 2011, but this Final Four just strikes me more than seeing USC get to continue to play.

In fact, if you are on Facebook, let’s see whether this can go viral: http://www.facebook.com/pages/UConn-and-Kentucky-The-Cheaters-Bracket/165132806874138

PSUClass2011,

I agree that the big two intercollegiate sports are becoming anything but amateur. But the issue comes when you have programs/coaches who are trying to play by the rules and those that clearly don’t. UConn/Calhoun and Kentucky/Calipari clearly don’t and it is a crock a crap that these teams are being put up on a pedestal and celebrated for doing what they are doing. It makes me ill, just like the rest of the people who have been told all their lives to play by the rules or else.

There’s a reason why Joe Paterno is looked upon by the sports world as a throwback and one-of-a-kind or last-of-his-kind. Because it seems that he’s one of the few who look to do things by the book and won’t settle for anything less. He is everything that is good about college sports as it should be, while Cal and Cal are everything bad.

I attended a dinner years ago headlining John Feinstein, after he wrote his book about the Patriot League. He contrasted them to the Dukes of the world who’s kids were all headed (or thought they were headed) to the NBA and how refreshing it was to cover kids who were actually students first. I thought about PSU (this was back in the Crispin/et al days) and how I could look with pride that I thought my Alma Mater hasn’t succumed to the pressure.

Of course, we haven’t been to too many final 4’s either.

OT but Feinstein is very underrated as a sports writer. I’ve loved everything of his that I’ve been able to read.

OK, maybe this should be in the Movies thread or maybe a poll.
The movie “Blue Chips” - docu-drama or fantasy?.

I say, the names were changed to protect the guilty. The scenes were based on actual events. :slight_smile:

I find it funny that Calipari is in UMass’ Hall of Fame. He did good things there, but cheated…

There's a reason why Joe Paterno is looked upon by the sports world as a throwback and one-of-a-kind or last-of-his-kind. Because it seems that he's one of the few who look to do things by the book and won't settle for anything less. He is everything that is good about college sports as it should be, while Cal and Cal are everything bad.

It’s easy enough to say this because they have never been caught, but I don’t doubt for a second that PSU has broken some rules and gotten away with it in the last 30 years at some point. Not for a second.

The idea of a student-athlete is a farce in the age of billion dollar television contracts, it’s time we adapted in my humble opinion. For every Butler there are 10 Kentuckys, and 10 more schools that would gladly be Kentucky if they could. It’s ALL about the dollar signs and you can’t have it both ways - either your sports are televised and mean something (basketball/football) or you get them clean and insignificant (women’s lacrosse).

So do we just sit around and cry about it… because it’s not going away, you can penalize USC but you can’t take away the joy their fans experienced during that run under Carroll… or should we change our philosophy on what college sports are to be?

I vote for the latter, personally. It’s like the MPAA and RIAA who want to keep fighting a battle they can’t win, hoping to turn the clocks back to a time when their business model made sense. You can’t go back - you can only move forward, and it’s time the NCAA and fans got out in front of this thing instead of playing an impossible game of catch-up.

Illini-

I don’t let it bother me because I just don’t let it surprise me anymore. There never as a “golden age” of big-time college athletics where students were icons of amateurism. To be honest, I won’t even expect real amateurism until television is out of the picture, and we all know how soon that will happen.

The issue is that the NBA and NFL have somehow convinced colleges to serve as their minor league systems with the colleges being only too happy to oblige. To my knowledge, payments to student-athletes in NCAA hockey and baseball isn’t an issue, because if the athletes want to be paid, they have the option of joining the minor leagues.

It would be easy for the NBA to create a stand-alone minor league, since basketball only needs a gym for a facility. A minor league NFL would be much harder because of the high fixed costs of a stadium.

There’s one thing that ties the “Cheaters’ Bracket” with the other bracket…

…they’re both overseen by the NCAA.

It’s kind of like in the movies when a guy finds out his girl is cheating on him with someone else. Who does the guy get mad at usually? The other guy. Not the girl.

Kinda hard to get mad at the Cals of the world when it’s the NCAA we all should focus our ire at.

Until the NCAA really penalizes these guys, it’s all futile.

It’s easy enough to say this because they have never been caught, but I don’t doubt for a second that PSU has broken some rules and gotten away with it in the last 30 years at some point. Not for a second.

The idea of a student-athlete is a farce in the age of billion dollar television contracts, it’s time we adapted in my humble opinion. For every Butler there are 10 Kentuckys, and 10 more schools that would gladly be Kentucky if they could. It’s ALL about the dollar signs and you can’t have it both ways - either your sports are televised and mean something (basketball/football) or you get them clean and insignificant (women’s lacrosse).

So do we just sit around and cry about it… because it’s not going away, you can penalize USC but you can’t take away the joy their fans experienced during that run under Carroll… or should we change our philosophy on what college sports are to be?

I vote for the latter, personally. It’s like the MPAA and RIAA who want to keep fighting a battle they can’t win, hoping to turn the clocks back to a time when their business model made sense. You can’t go back - you can only move forward, and it’s time the NCAA and fans got out in front of this thing instead of playing an impossible game of catch-up. [/quote]

+1

I think I’ll skip this one. Follow up to come in the movies thread.

Watching this movie, I’m sure :slight_smile:

Cheaters - Movie Trailer

[quote=“PSUClassof2011, post:10, topic:2298”]Illini-

The issue is that the NBA and NFL have somehow convinced colleges to serve as their minor league systems with the colleges being only too happy to oblige. To my knowledge, payments to student-athletes in NCAA hockey and baseball isn’t an issue, because if the athletes want to be paid, they have the option of joining the minor leagues.

It would be easy for the NBA to create a stand-alone minor league, since basketball only needs a gym for a facility. A minor league NFL would be much harder because of the high fixed costs of a stadium.[/quote]

These are very good points. I don’t think many objective observers recognize how valuable big-time college sports are for the NBA and the the NFL.

I saw Source Code. Pretty doggone good.

I saw it also. And I disagree. :wink:

(well, kind of.)

It was entertaining enough, but disappointing. I had high hopes after Moon, this felt like a bad remake of Deja Vu… which wasn’t great either.

I saw Source Code. Pretty doggone good.

I saw it also. And I disagree. :wink:

(well, kind of.)

It was entertaining enough, but disappointing. I had high hopes after Moon, this felt like a bad remake of Deja Vu… which wasn’t great either.

Kind of crappy scifi, but entertaining.

A good college buddy of my brother’s co-wrote Deja Vu, got several million for the screenplay.

Wow, that’s pretty awesome.

Both movies had ideas I liked, but sci-fi can be such a tease when it’s not executed the way you want as a viewer. I’ve talked to several other friends who saw it and they all liked it more than me, so maybe I’m just being snobby about it. Definitely worth seeing, just not sure I jive with the 88/100 it’s got on RT right now.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:19, topic:2298”]Wow, that’s pretty awesome.

Both movies had ideas I liked, but sci-fi can be such a tease when it’s not executed the way you want as a viewer. I’ve talked to several other friends who saw it and they all liked it more than me, so maybe I’m just being snobby about it. Definitely worth seeing, just not sure I jive with the 88/100 it’s got on RT right now.[/quote]

Yeah, without going all spoiler on Source Code, there was a kind of a multiverse thing going on that didn’t get explained well. But the story was a nice Hollywood melodrama.