PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The 13 Teams I Root for .... Et Tu?

The 13 Teams I Root For …

In my 47th year of being a college hoops fan. Began for me at age 14 when we got cable TV in ’65 and Big 5 games were shown on 7 on the dial. Was the time when 8 on the dial didn’t ever show anything ‘cept the big Indian profile … or an American flag … or a bullseye test pattern.

Became ( and remain … so there TJB!! ) a diehard ‘Nova fan in ’67 when Clarence Smith, from my high school and a baseball teammate , went to play there.

Transitioned from pro hoops ( Celtics ) to college hoops in 1971 a watershed year for my love of college hoops because of ‘Nova’s tournament run. Watched and read everything available during that tournament and picked up 2 more teams that I still root for and the start of a 3rd because of a funky name that I knew from St Gabe’s High School in Hazelton ( my birth place ) and recognized when I read about Fordham.
Have gravitated to teams primarily because of their style of play … or something weird like a player’s or coaches name . In some cases have moved from one team to another as the coach moved. Even picked up a team because I thought a coach I liked was now there … was 2 years before I realized it was a different ‘Stormin Norman’ … but didn’t matter because by then I was hooked

Here’s the chronological story of my ‘ 13”
1967 Villanova
My 1st … and I’ve never left … still have and still watch the 1985 Championship game and a host of others especially those of Kerry Kittles ( my all time favorite college player ) against UConn

1971 Marquette and Kansas … and almost Fordham
Marquette cuz they beat KY who I’ve always hated but can’t remember why
Kansas because of a funky player name( Jo Jo White )
Almost added Fordham ( but didn’t ) because of the coaches funky name … probably because they lost

1973 NC State
Color tv ( a wedding present ) and David Thompson … my gawd could he do things I had never ever seen before … and what great games I got to see … also my 1st ‘Stormin Norman’ coach ( Sloan in this case )
Especially loved Jim Valvano whose name I knew from his time at Bucknell

1974 Notre Dame
ND for 2 reasons … the funky coach’s name ( Digger Phelps ) that I knew from St Gabe’s HS games in Hazelton Pa ( and no longer at Fordham )
And they beat UCLA in one of the greatest basketball games I have ever watched … down 11 with less than 3 mins to go and no shot clock … didn’t hurt that I hated UCLA ;D

1975 Oregon
The Kamikaze Kids … WOW … talk about full court press defense … saw them play in the NIT … my 1st game at the Garden … had a weird coach … name of Dick Harter ;D

1978 Arkansas and Missouri
Arkansas because of the Triplets ( Moncrief, Delph and Brewer ) and what a magical run to the Final Four … and Eddie Sutton a guy I had followed from Creighton ( who I got hooked on because of Paul Silas in his 1st year as a Celtic )

Mizzou cuz I was watching my 1st ‘Border War” game between them and Kansas and the announcer kept calling the Mizzou coach Stormin Norman … hell I thought it was Norm Sloan the former NC State coach.
Started liking Mizzou and wasn’t for 2 years till I found out it was Stormin Norman Stewart not Sloan

1980 BC and St Johns
Nova joins the Big East … watch a lot games … just loved Dr. Tom Davis and Louie Carnesecca . How could you not like BC and St Johns … a Doctor and a guy in an argyle / plaid sweater for coaches … and what great games there were … seemed like every game you watched was outstanding

1982 Penn State
Puzzling that it took this long given I’m a '73 and odder still is what it took to make me a fan which was the Big East turning Penn State down when they asked to join.
Still not certain which 3 Big East teams voted no but am certain that at least 3 of them did.
Anyway it pissed me off and made me a ‘Nit fan forever and the only team that will make me root against Villanova ( happy now TJB ? )
1st great PSU memory was standing on the endline in Rec hall and not 5 ft away seeing Rashaan Carlton ( from my HS ) hitting the game winner in OT against MSU

1986 Iowa
Very simple … followed Dr Tom here from BC !!
Loved their style of play and love it now

1999 Gonzaga
Was watching ESPN late one night and the announcer started talking about the Zags and their players.
Guys named Richie Frahm, Matt Santangello, Zach Gourde, Axel Dench and Casey Calvary.
As he was saying the names I started laughing so hard tears came to my eyes.
To this day my alltime favorite name team.
And when I finally got watch one of their games and saw the faces with the names I was hooked. 3 of the guys ( Dench, Gourde and Santagello ) looked like they were 30 yrs old and mafia hitman and then you had Frahm who looked a little like a choirboy Hollywood type and then was Casey Calvary who reminded me of Bambi just bouncing all around the court … couldn’t hit the basket from 2 feet ( at that time ) but could just leap out of the gym.
Ross Travis reminds me so much of Calvary … mistake … mistake… clunk … clang and then out of nowhere BOOM a play so spectacular and so athletic that your jaw drops
Of course it didn’t hurt a bit when they made their Elite 8 run thru the tourney that year

There you have it … my 13 teams that I root for and have never left once I started. Been a few that have come and gone. These are my keepers … least for now ;D

Who are yours ?

1963-64: Penn State - my dorm counselor, Ron Avillion, was one of the players and two kids on my floor played freshmen ball.
1964-65: Penn State - went to my first NCAA game when PSU lost to Bill Bradley and Princeton at the Palestra (still one of the best PSU games I ever saw and maybe the best PSU team I ever saw)
1965-66: Penn State - first trip to Madison Square Garden as PSU lost to San Francisco in the NIT
1967-68: Penn State - lived with two of the players - Bill Young and Jim Linden

I’ll spare you the other 45 entries. By now you should get the idea. ;D

That was an enjoyable read. I won’t get as detailed, but I will tell you where the love comes from.

Grew up in the state of Indiana going to games in sold out high school gyms with 7-8,000 other diehards. Still go to Indiana State Finals every year. That was my indoctrination.

And then I became a full-blown addict in 1990…

First recollection of really watching the NCAA Tournament. My parents were both Ball State University grads. Majerus had recruited a heck of a squad, which he left to a guy named Dick Hunsaker. I was seven-years old and I stayed up way past my bedtime to watch Chandler Thompson, Paris McCurdy and the rest of the Cardinals go to the Sweet 16 and lose by two-points to eventual national champion UNLV.

From that point forward, I loved college hoops and watched as much as I could. One big problem. My family lived in the country and we didn’t have ESPN. So, I was left watching really only two teams regularly: Indiana and Purdue. For some reason, I liked the Hoosiers better.

My favorite childhood teams were the 91-92 and 92-93 Indiana teams. Went to the Final Four in '92 and lost a hearbreaker to Duke. Went into the '93 tournament as No. 1 in the country, but couldn’t overcome Alan Henderson’s knee injury and lost to Kansas in St. Louis. Loved the style of those teams. Cal Cheaney, Matt Nover, Greg Graham, Damon Bailey. I loved watching those teams…even cheered for them on that infamous night in Happy Valley in 1993. By the way, listened to that game on a radio since I still didn’t have ESPN.

I began to trend away from Indiana and started cheering more and more for the Nittany Lions shortly after that. I had always been a Penn State football fan for various reasons.

'95-96 was the game changer as the family got cable for the first time.

Two favorite teams that year (winter 1996 as I was an eighth-grader) were, please don’t ban me from that board, UConn and, of course, Penn State. The BJC was new. We were in the Top 25. That was awesome to watch 500 miles away from Happy Valley.

Oh, and the UConn thing…you’d have been a fan to if you’d had the circumstances I did. I was staring at a pile of homework that I hadn’t even touched. But, I noticed snow was falling heavily and much more was predicted. Sure enough, I found out on the radio that my school was off for the next day and I had the whole night to watch college basketball. That night, it was UConn and Villanova from Gampel. Ray Allen put on a show…scored about 35 against Kittles. I watched UConn the rest of that year and have been a Ray Allen fan ever since.

I’ve enjoyed a whole lot of teams and players since then, but those are the groups that really stand out in getting me started in this love affair with college basketball. I gave up all other hats if you will when I enrolled at Penn State the year after the Sweet 16 appearance. The triumvirate of recent successful PSU teams ('01, '09 and last year) have given me as much fun as any groups in all my basketball watching years. I was just reminiscing yesterday as I watched last year’s Big Ten semifinal win against Michigan State…the first time I watched the game sober. It was still just as fun!

Happy Holidays by the way. I’ll be in Nashville for 2nd and 3rd round games next week. Can’t wait.

I like this idea, but more along the lines of who you support in sports other than NCAA basketball. I mean…we are on a Penn State basketball board :wink:

When I was young and first getting into college basketball, PSU was not a very exciting team to root for (guess this could qualify as anytime really :wink: ) so I had an additional group of teams I really liked and I think it was mostly based on names of schools I liked (and probably uniforms to a lesser degree)…

I can’t recall them all but I know Georgetown, Villanova, Duke, and probably at least 2 others were all my ‘favorites’ for awhile. Then for a few years I became a big Virginia fan, for reasons I cannot recall. And I also bought into the Gonzaga bandwagon early into their rise and still root for them most years from the distant sidelines.

I have been a Butler supporter since the late 90’s, so the past few years have been fun in that sense. I like quite a few mid-majors really, although I could never get into Davidson or VCU the last few seasons.

I really enjoy a lot of smaller conferences in general, come to think of it. The CAA, WCC, Horizon, and MWC in particular are good fun with almost any matchup and I will typically root for schools from these conferences when they match up against anybody else.

I guess I like quite a few teams now that I think about it. I am just a fan of the sport really, like most here. I can remember running a tournament pool as early as 4th grade and getting permission to stay home to watch the opening rounds as early as jr high. Now I just take vacation days every year instead. :wink: I look forward to the days ahead when I no longer have to find other teams to cheer for in the tournament because my real team will still be playing in it.

I was born in Dayton and most of my extended family still lives there, so I’m a fan of Dayton and Wright State (where my parents both went to college and where they met).

I also worked on a political race in Western Kentucky where the candidate’s brother was the President of Murray State, so I got to see a bunch of Racers games while I was there. Seeing their run this season has been a lot of fun. They’ve got a great place to see a basketball game.

Being born, and living in the Lehigh Valley all of my life, I root for Lehigh. I really like the future of Brett Reed, their head coach. Think he’s done a great job there, and will get a job offer in a power conference sooner rather than later.

When I was a kid, I loved North Carolina, and even though my love for them has faded, I still will watch them and root for them. I’m just not invested when they lose. It’s just a shrug of the shoulders, and move on.

Butler. Does anyone even hate this scrappy group of underdogs?

Drexel. My dad got his Master’s Degree from there, and I’ve visited their law school. Impressive university, and I always root for them to succeed.

Washington. This one is fairly irrational. I’ve always enjoyed their play, and they work out well in my NCAA tournament pools.

Born in upstate NY and went to tons of St Bonaventure games until I moved to SC in '02. I remember Harry Moore, Tim Wynn, Shandu McNeil, Cyress Tate.

A bunch of my friends camped out all night to get 1st dibs on tickets to the UMass game when they were ranked #1 and had Marcus Camby. It was the same game he passed out in the locker before the game and didn’t dress.

Love A-10 hoops.

My first NCAA memories were listening to Duquesne games on the radio in the 60s. I think they also had a local TV contract for a while with Ned Twyman (his brother Jack was an NBA star) broadcasting. They were both from my local neighborhood.
Also in the 60’s our rabbit eared TV picked up a fuzzy Wheeling TV channel (sometimes) and I was able to watch Southern conference games. Davidson and WVU were almost always featured. Davidson had Fran Huckle and Mike Malloy. Loved Lefty Driesell. Followed Lefty thought out his career. Also heard him speak at a coaches clinic. WVU had a history of great guards. I think Fitz Williams was the star at the time.
Loved the PSU team in Ron Brown’s first season (71??) Ron was a wonderful wonderful player as a soph (before his weight gain.) A “Point Forward” before it’s time!!
Also during the late 60s and early 70s I continued to follow Duquesne. They filled the Civic Arena (about 15,000) for big games. I remember seeing UCLA with Wicks and Rowe play in The Steel Bowl at the Civic Arena. The Dukes were a top 5 or 10 most every year at that time. I had the opportunity to hoop with many Duquesne players time to time when I was home from PSU. I knew a couple of kids on the team. Major, the Nelsons, Zoft, M. Davis and Durham et al were very good players. Good experience for me to play with future NBA/ABA players.
After that I enjoyed college hoops for many many many years. A couple of favorites were Lefty’s Maryland teams, Arkansas’s 3 Basketeers (mentioned by a prior poster.) I liked Al McGuire in his early Marquette years. Before he got famous. Remember Al bringing his team to Rec Hall. Lee and Whitehead were the stars. I loved the 94-95 PSU team. What an electric wild atmosphere in the BJC(hard to believe, huh.)
NOW, I mostly follow PSU. The glamor has worn off the Big Dance for me! Big Time.

Growing up in Sunbury, Bucknell was the first choice as my family would go to a game every so often. In middle school, when I started following college basketball in general, Temple was my team. While I wasn’t a fan of Chaney in general, I did like how his teams played.

In high school, when it became clear that Penn State was going to be one of my college choices, I started following them. I went to a PSU exhibition game that was played at Danville High School, I think it was 87 or 88. Had a buddy who was a Frosh at PSU in 88-89 and I came up for a couple of games that year and have been hooked ever since.

So basically I’m a Penn State Hoops guy, with serious soft spots for Temple & Bucknell. This made for a bit of a tough time for our NCAA gmae last year, especially since Dunph was the one I wanted for our coach way back when.

Spent 10 of my first 12 years on the planet in northern NJ, not too far from Seton Hall…so I used to go see Bill Raftery’s teams at the old Walsh Gymnasium. Then in one of my basketball camps, several Seton Hall players visited and were really nice to us kids. noobd might know the names from back in the mid to late 70’s, though I do remember their point guard at the time, Greg Tynes, was really good with us kids. Went to see him play a few times the following year. Not surprising to see him become one of the all-time winningest coaches in NJ high school hoops.

I left NJ and moved to Philly area shortly after that, but still followed Seton Hall and the likes of Danny Calandrillo.

Picked up on Chaney’s Temple team once in Philly and rooted for them and Villanova. Of course, I loved the 1985 Nova team. Surprised me that a lot of my Penn State buddies I was watching the '85 title game with were rooting for Georgetown in that game.

Prior to that, I was enamored with Jimmy Valvano’s teams at NC State and their title run in 1983. Being the name dropper that I’m becoming, I had the absolute pleasure of working alongside Jimmy V at the 1991 Pan Am Games in Havana, Cuba. He was as advertised and then some. Even got to play some hoops with him down there, which is still one of the greatest thrills of my life. Every time I see Jimmy V’s ESPY speech, I break up. He was a very, very special person.

I loved PSU hoops during my time at University Park (1983-88), we just weren’t very good. So being the hoop junky that I was, I reached out to root for Temple/Nova, of course, and Len Bias and Maryland. Loved that team and loved Lenny Bias. Worked the 1986 NBA Draft and though I didn’t meet Lenny, my colleagues who did get to work with Bias during the draft were absolutely stunned silent when news came out about his death two days after he was picked second by the Celtics. That day remains very vivid in my memory bank.

I guess I just find the tragedies in sports, because my next team was none other than the Bo Kimble/ Hank Gathers Loyola-Marymount bunch that turned the NCAA’s upside down in 1988 and beyond. No, I didn’t know or play alongside either Kimble or Gathers, though they were from Philly. But to watch their games was an absolute hoot. Basketball traditionalists like myself would cringe, but for some reason, I just couldn’t take my eyes off of their games. Of course when Hank Gathers shockingly died and Bo Kimble put that team on his back, we were all glued to our sets. Kimble’s left-handed free throws in the tourney games of 1990 still remain as some of the greatest moments in NCAA tournament history.

Moved to Atlanta upon graduating from PSU and picked up on Georgia Tech hoops in a big way. Saw a lot of games with Kenny Anderson/Dennis Scott/Brian Oliver rocking and rolling in their march to the Final Four in 1990. Remained a fan of Georgia Tech throughout the 90’s and saw my share of some pretty decent ACC action.

In my continuing quest to drop names like my I-Phone drops calls…worked with Doug Collins for several years and used to hang out with his son Chris a lot when he was not in session at Duke. As much as I wasn’t really a fan of Duke, I rooted for Chris and his teams, especially when they lost to Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman and Arkansas in the 1994 title game.

I then met my wife and became what I am today…a better man:-) and a combination Penn State, Illinois hoop fan.

Maybe it’s the fact that college basketball has changed over time and become more of a business and a win-at-any-and-all-cost operation, but I find it hard to root for many teams beyond PSU and Illinois. I do like the occasional George Mason’s, Butler’s and VCU’s of the world, but it bugs me that these one-and-done factories can kind of rule the roost, while the others, whose main players are actually in school to try and get a degree, have to play catch-up. Just seems wrong, as I long for those days back in Walsh Gymnasium on the campus of Seton Hall.

Thanks for starting this thread, jlr.

I liked all the Big 5 teams except Villanova growing up, especially Penn (which I viewed as perennial underdogs what with its pesky admissions requirements, and which had just come off the Harter era). I always looked upon Rollie Massimino as a con man and a phony, which is I guess the way a lot of non-Penn Staters looked at Paterno. I find it extremely hard to root against Jay Wright and take no pleasure in the season they are having. Even if Villanova kids were born on second base and think they hit a triple. Wish it were happening to Rollie.

I loved Chaney at Cheyney and was a big fan the entire time he was at Temple. He should have been a character in “The Wire.” A cross between Jimmy McNulty and Bunny Colvin.

West Philly High had an unbelievable team when I was in high school, and I was a huge Gene Banks fan, so naturally I became a Duke fan. My mother got it worse (she loved Tinker Bell!) and still lives and dies with them.

I bought into our guys when I became a Penn Stater and have latched on to what we can - scrappy overachievers who are competitive against all odds. I know people are loving the way this team went at it (for good reason), but the fact is that we have had a ton of groups like this over the years. Likeable guys, overmatched by teams that routinely outrecruit us (whether in the A10 or Big 10), and fight till the end.

One of my favorite observations by a college coach about recruiting is that if you want to know what your team will look like in a few years, look at who you have now. Basically, the kinds of kids you have recruit like-minded kids. Hopefully we can add some incremental size, speed and skill to a mindset like our guys have always had.

Just skimming this thread, it reminds me of the classic “best sporting events you’ve ever been to” thread. Lots of great stuff in that one.

I grew up very close to Penn State, so naturally I have always been a PSU fan.

The only other team I follow at all (to the extent that I even follow them at all) is St. John’s. Went to school there for 3 semesters before transferring back home to Penn State. Their best player while I was there, Darryl Hill, once used my printer. Also, a good friend of mine roomed with one of the players, a 6’11" foreign gentleman by the name of Tomas Jasiulionis. And when I say I follow them, I mean I watch about 3 games a year and check up on their record and stats once a week or so.

Grew up in Delware County so no surprise I cut my teeth on the Big Five. Starting with Larry Cannon, Ken Durrett, Bernie Williams era. Before them - Hubie Marshall (is my memory failing). Followed by the Penn Teams of Corky Calhoon, Bilsky, Wohl and Bobby Morse. Loved that team. After that it was Villanova for a while (I now hold in contempt-my issue I know largely) with the teams including Ford, Inglesby, Porter and Hastings. Loved the run back in the early 70’s teams. Followed Villanova for the years until 75.

At the same time back in the 60’s followed Rutgers because my dad coached high School basketball at Eddystone against Bill Foster and they were good friends. My dad and I went to the Old Garden to see Bill coach several games the Bobby Lloyd, Jim Valvano, Bob? Greachen teams in the NIT. Bobby Lloyd sank somethin like 94-99 straight free throws at Rutgers. Rutgers I think lost in the finals or Semi’s that year to Southern Illinois who had a guard named Walt Frazier.

After that of course I followed Duke when Bill Foster brought them back to the limelight with the Gene Banks team. Those were fun times.

But since 1975 it’s been all PSU.

Hubie Marshall - Coatesville, PA!

1. I am 3rd Generation Penn Stater and grew up in PA (my grandfather actually played football for Joe during his first season in 1950), so I am naturally a die-hard PSU fan.

2. I moved up to Providence during basketball season this year and now pull for the Friars (I’ve been to two games at the Dunk and am considering season tickets next year, because their incoming recruiting class is SICK).

3. I really don’t know why, but I have always sorta liked Michigan State as my #2 B10 team in all sports.

4. Bucknell is not far from where I grew up, so I have been to a handful of BU games. If they happen to be on TV or in the NCAA tourney, I root for them.

5. My father attended Gonzaga for law school, so if Gonzaga happens to be on TV I root for them. However, I am not an “avid” fan of the Zags, Bucknell, or MSU like I am for PSU, and I can see my fanhood with Providence increasing.

There’s my 5.

1. PSU - Listening to my Blue Band CD reminds me more of Rec Hall then the Beav. That’s all you need to know.
    1a. Bucknell - Mom’s a grad, but they were never on TV when I was a kid. Went and got my Master’s there and have been to quite a few games since.
  2. Illini - my Big Brother started as a frosh in Champaign in 1980 when I was 11 yrs old. Been an Illlini fan and a big 10 fan since.

[quote=“jlr820, post:1, topic:3155”]The 13 Teams I Root For …

In my 47th year of being a college hoops fan. Began for me at age 14 when we got cable TV in ’65 and Big 5 games were shown on 7 on the dial. Was the time when 8 on the dial didn’t ever show anything ‘cept the big Indian profile … or an American flag … or a bullseye test pattern.

Became ( and remain … so there TJB!! ) a diehard ‘Nova fan in ’67 when Clarence Smith, from my high school and a baseball teammate , went to play there.

Transitioned from pro hoops ( Celtics ) to college hoops in 1971 a watershed year for my love of college hoops because of ‘Nova’s tournament run. Watched and read everything available during that tournament and picked up 2 more teams that I still root for and the start of a 3rd because of a funky name that I knew from St Gabe’s High School in Hazelton ( my birth place ) and recognized when I read about Fordham.
Have gravitated to teams primarily because of their style of play … or something weird like a player’s or coaches name . In some cases have moved from one team to another as the coach moved. Even picked up a team because I thought a coach I liked was now there … was 2 years before I realized it was a different ‘Stormin Norman’ … but didn’t matter because by then I was hooked

Here’s the chronological story of my ‘ 13”
1967 Villanova
My 1st … and I’ve never left … still have and still watch the 1985 Championship game and a host of others especially those of Kerry Kittles ( my all time favorite college player ) against UConn

1971 Marquette and Kansas … and almost Fordham
Marquette cuz they beat KY who I’ve always hated but can’t remember why
Kansas because of a funky player name( Jo Jo White )
Almost added Fordham ( but didn’t ) because of the coaches funky name … probably because they lost

1973 NC State
Color tv ( a wedding present ) and David Thompson … my gawd could he do things I had never ever seen before … and what great games I got to see … also my 1st ‘Stormin Norman’ coach ( Sloan in this case )
Especially loved Jim Valvano whose name I knew from his time at Bucknell

1974 Notre Dame
ND for 2 reasons … the funky coach’s name ( Digger Phelps ) that I knew from St Gabe’s HS games in Hazelton Pa ( and no longer at Fordham )
And they beat UCLA in one of the greatest basketball games I have ever watched … down 11 with less than 3 mins to go and no shot clock … didn’t hurt that I hated UCLA ;D

1975 Oregon
The Kamikaze Kids … WOW … talk about full court press defense … saw them play in the NIT … my 1st game at the Garden … had a weird coach … name of Dick Harter ;D

1978 Arkansas and Missouri
Arkansas because of the Triplets ( Moncrief, Delph and Brewer ) and what a magical run to the Final Four … and Eddie Sutton a guy I had followed from Creighton ( who I got hooked on because of Paul Silas in his 1st year as a Celtic )

Mizzou cuz I was watching my 1st ‘Border War” game between them and Kansas and the announcer kept calling the Mizzou coach Stormin Norman … hell I thought it was Norm Sloan the former NC State coach.
Started liking Mizzou and wasn’t for 2 years till I found out it was Stormin Norman Stewart not Sloan

1980 BC and St Johns
Nova joins the Big East … watch a lot games … just loved Dr. Tom Davis and Louie Carnesecca . How could you not like BC and St Johns … a Doctor and a guy in an argyle / plaid sweater for coaches … and what great games there were … seemed like every game you watched was outstanding

1982 Penn State
Puzzling that it took this long given I’m a '73 and odder still is what it took to make me a fan which was the Big East turning Penn State down when they asked to join.
Still not certain which 3 Big East teams voted no but am certain that at least 3 of them did.
Anyway it pissed me off and made me a ‘Nit fan forever and the only team that will make me root against Villanova ( happy now TJB ? )
1st great PSU memory was standing on the endline in Rec hall and not 5 ft away seeing Rashaan Carlton ( from my HS ) hitting the game winner in OT against MSU

1986 Iowa
Very simple … followed Dr Tom here from BC !!
Loved their style of play and love it now

1999 Gonzaga
Was watching ESPN late one night and the announcer started talking about the Zags and their players.
Guys named Richie Frahm, Matt Santangello, Zach Gourde, Axel Dench and Casey Calvary.
As he was saying the names I started laughing so hard tears came to my eyes.
To this day my alltime favorite name team.
And when I finally got watch one of their games and saw the faces with the names I was hooked. 3 of the guys ( Dench, Gourde and Santagello ) looked like they were 30 yrs old and mafia hitman and then you had Frahm who looked a little like a choirboy Hollywood type and then was Casey Calvary who reminded me of Bambi just bouncing all around the court … couldn’t hit the basket from 2 feet ( at that time ) but could just leap out of the gym.
Ross Travis reminds me so much of Calvary … mistake … mistake… clunk … clang and then out of nowhere BOOM a play so spectacular and so athletic that your jaw drops
Of course it didn’t hurt a bit when they made their Elite 8 run thru the tourney that year

There you have it … my 13 teams that I root for and have never left once I started. Been a few that have come and gone. These are my keepers … least for now ;D

Who are yours ?[/quote]
Enjoyed the read, and I too was in Rec Hall when Carlton won that final game of the season. Penn State 71-MSU 70 in regulation, no overtime. Having moved to Atlanta in 1985 that was the only Rec Hall game I saw from 85-86 team till they moved into the BJC.

Grew up in western NY, son of Syracuse parents. Attended many games at Carrier Dome and its predecessor (Manley Fieldhouse). Saw Magic Johnson play in Carrier Classic at Manley. He was a freshman. SU won game but he won tourney MVP.

Started at PSU in 1987. Lived in West amongst the PSU players and instantly became hooked on PSU hoops. Slept in Rec Hall a few times for NIT tickets. Was front row, center court when we played MD with Mustaf and Williams. Remember seeing Gary Williams walking down College Ave that afternoon with his arm around a girl that looked 20. Skeevy.

Went to 1991 tourney in Syracuse. That EMU game still haunts me. Would have played UNC in Sweet 16.

Subsequently attended UNC for grad school so they are my #2 team. Try to attend a game a year down there. Root for PSU when the two teams play (2001).

Best PSU memory was attending Big 10 tourney in 2001 when we beat MSU that Friday night. Felt like there were about 30 PSU fans there.

Been a PSU season ticket holder for about 4 years now and excited for our future.