PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

That really was sad

but for a BOT - no other outcome would have happened when put in that position. I don’t know why Joe dared them this afternoon to fire him (which he basically did)

I don’t get Spanier. I’m the most shocked by his inaction on this, and complete lack of any real statement since it broke

i hope they are damn sure that Bradley and Erickson didn’t know about anything.

My guess is Spanier got a lawyer, told him what he knew, and was advised to keep quiet.

Spanier was in an impossible position, largely of his own making. He misstepped with his completely tone deaf first response, and then it was pretty quickly clear that he had his own problems in the case and was not in a position to credibly speak for the university. We’re probably lucky he didn’t say anything in the last few days.

Then the board had to get its s— together, push aside the toadies and lackeys, and get a consensus for how to respond decisively.

I went back and read the Sandusky thread today, and it is already hard to remember how this percolated into our consciousness. It took a day or two for the enormity to hit us fully (not all of us), imagine if you think yourself and your colleagues pretty good people and you got hit with this directly.

No excuses, but this is not ordinary crisis management. This is the mother of all crises.

The gravity of the black hole of evil created by the (alleged) acts of Sandusky is going to draw in many people who either do not deserve to be included in this mess, or who do not deserve all the fallout that may come their way.

And this mess is just so repulsive that the stench of it is going to stick to any who are near to it, including those who try to clean it up. At this point in time no one can make a completely good decision about what to do next, any decision is going to have some ugliness sticking to it because this whole affair is a rotting cesspool.

I believe the best we can hope for is that someone can demonstrate how to walk through a slog of crap with dignity and poise, and that everyone then tries to follow their lead. In my book the players on the current team (especially the seniors) are candidates for that role. They have been drawn into the sphere of evil through no doing of their own. If they can come out Saturday and before the game respectfully display solidarity with the innocent victims, and afterwards turn their attention to the game and compete at a very high level with dignity and determination, then they may just show us all how to move through this in the best way possible.

[quote=“tjb, post:3, topic:2794”]Spanier was in an impossible position, largely of his own making. He misstepped with his completely tone deaf first response, and then it was pretty quickly clear that he had his own problems in the case and was not in a position to credibly speak for the university. We’re probably lucky he didn’t say anything in the last few days.

Then the board had to get its s— together, push aside the toadies and lackeys, and get a consensus for how to respond decisively.

I went back and read the Sandusky thread today, and it is already hard to remember how this percolated into our consciousness. It took a day or two for the enormity to hit us fully (not all of us), imagine if you think yourself and your colleagues pretty good people and you got hit with this directly.

No excuses, but this is not ordinary crisis management. This is the mother of all crises.[/quote]

Good points, Tim. The complete vaccuum of leadershp both in the athletic department and at the university level allowed this thing to sprial completely out of control. In limited hindsight, the BOT needed to put someone (anyone) out there in the public domain to get some control of the situation (heck, even if it was a PR firm) but a board that size just cannot move deciseivly enough in this kind of fast-moving situation. That’s part of what you hire a president to do!!

I’m still flabbergahsted by the fact that last night’s announcement was the first time ANYONE representing the university took questions from the press converning this whole thing.

[quote=“LarryH, post:4, topic:2794”]The gravity of the black hole of evil created by the (alleged) acts of Sandusky is going to draw in many people who either do not deserve to be included in this mess, or who do not deserve all the fallout that may come their way.And this mess is just so repulsive that the stench of it is going to stick to any who are near to it, including those who try to clean it up. At this point in time no one can make a completely good decision about what to do next, any decision is going to have some ugliness sticking to it because this whole affair is a rotting cesspool.

I believe the best we can hope for is that someone can demonstrate how to walk through a slog of crap with dignity and poise, and that everyone then tries to follow their lead. In my book the players on the current team (especially the seniors) are candidates for that role. They have been drawn into the sphere of evil through no doing of their own. If they can come out Saturday and before the game respectfully display solidarity with the innocent victims, and afterwards turn their attention to the game and compete at a very high level with dignity and determination, then they may just show us all how to move through this in the best way possible.[/quote]

LarryH, that is about the best line to sum up this situation that I have heard to date.

Jeff Nelson threw some poor football players in front of the bus earlier in the day for a conference call with the media. That really pissed me off.

I'm still flabbergahsted by the fact that last night's announcement was the first time ANYONE representing the university took questions from the press converning this whole thing.
Jeff Nelson threw some poor football players in front of the bus earlier in the day for a conference call with the media. That really pissed me off.
But they did great!!! On the contrary, that's one of the few things that made me proud during this entire catastrophe!

I'm still flabbergahsted by the fact that last night's announcement was the first time ANYONE representing the university took questions from the press converning this whole thing.

What doesn’t piss you off? ::slight_smile:

[quote="MarkH, post:5, topic:2794"]I'm still flabbergahsted by the fact that last night's announcement was the first time ANYONE representing the university took questions from the press converning this whole thing.[/quote] Jeff Nelson threw some poor football players in front of the bus earlier in the day for a conference call with the media. That really pissed me off.
But they did great!!! On the contrary, that's one of the few things that made me proud during this entire catastrophe!

Agreed…Astorino, Crawford, etc…which makes me think that these guys will now take the rest of this season in their own hands and possibly produce something great.