Thanks Andy Katz

Guess I’ve found somebody expecting big things from us:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4647328&name=katz_andy

Indiana
2008-09 record: 1-17 in the Big Ten, 6-25 overall

Reason for optimism: The carnage of the Kelvin Sampson era has finally subsided, and under the leadership of coach Tom Crean, the Hoosiers finally can begin to rebuild. Indiana adds an experienced transfer in former Georgetown guard Jeremiah Rivers, who will team with sophomore Verdell Jones III. The Hoosiers still will be one of the youngest teams in the Big Ten, but there is plenty of fight in this group.

What could happen: The Hoosiers could move past Iowa and Penn State to finish at least ninth in the Big Ten with possibly five wins in the league.

What’s likely to happen: The problem is the league may be the best it has been this decade. The Hoosiers draw tough road games at Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue and Minnesota. The only break is that Michigan State will visit Indiana, but the Hoosiers won’t make a return trip to East Lansing. Indiana probably won’t make the postseason, but it will show an improvement in the win-loss record in the league and be a peskier putout.

I can’t argue with Indiana’s improvement…but have a little hope man!

On top of that:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2009/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4647781

Games you can’t miss: I’m not saying we’re putting out thrillers every week, but no nod to the insanity that has been MSU-PSU the past two years? We’ve almost beat them 3 out of 4…thats a bit of rival action going on…just my weekly media vent…

I’m cobnfused. Is PSU mentioned anywhere in your post?

Not that I really agree that it’s a big shot to PSU, but NG did bold the section he’s talking about.

So, I guess this line was sarcasm?

“Guess I’ve found somebody expecting big things from us:”

[quote="LPcreation, post:3, topic:234"]Not that I really agree that it's a big shot to PSU, but NG did bold the section he's talking about.[/quote]

So, I guess this line was sarcasm?

“Guess I’ve found somebody expecting big things from us:”

I took it that way.

I really think all this press saying PSU is going to be so low in the standings is going to fuel this team. We will see tonight but I really think this team will be focused and out to prove a point all season.

ok ok…not my best post.lol…just tired of getting no respect, hope the team feels the same way

Well when you’re losing what we have in a league as stacked as the B10 is this year, it’s no surprise that we are picked to finish near the bottom. If an analyst came out preseason and said anything different, he would seem pretty crazy to much of the country. Why should he have hope? He’s not a PSU fan like we are.

Good points…but there does come a time when one has to take notice and realize that ED has done more with less in this league than most. And this year he would seem to have the pieces to run more of his style of play than in the past.

I really feel this PSU team will be a bit better than last year and they are getting some props from the people in the know. Yet the fact remains that you have nine really solid teams in the Big Ten (maybe ten, depending on how quick Crean can mold the young talent in Bloomington).

Heck, if I’m a Big Ten prognosticator living in Chicago or Indianapolis, I would probably put PSU to finish 8th or 9th just knowing what the other teams have returning and what teams like Illinois are adding.

Call it disrespect if you want, but I just see it as a league that is absolutely stacked this season.

Obviously, with the Coble news (expected to miss six to ten weeks), that should place PSU firmly into the top eight in the league. But then who knew that the Nits would be one Iowa win away from finishing second last season.

One thing that I feel you can’t quantify in all of this is the heart and toughness of Talor Battle. He has the ability to really set the league on its collective ear. A player like Talor can and will make all those around him better. I also see Evan Turner, Kalin Lucas and Manny Harris as being those types of difference makers with the ball in their hands and no one else in this league at this point.

Regardless of where they are picked to finish, this will probably go down as the most exciting season in the Big Ten in over 20 years. Since the days of the Flyin’ Illini and the Steve Fisher-led Michigan Wolverine title team.

I think they did that last year when he was B10 COTY. :slight_smile:

I agree with a lot of you post and I do think Talor is being underestimated but I still can’t see how people are expecting us to be a better team this year. We are going to be playing at least 4 guys that saw very little action and we’re counting on a few guys to average double digits that are pretty unproven at this level.

Honestly, I’m not sure who’s underestimating who…the Media underestimating Battle and all of the intangibles he brings, or our own fans underestimating Cornley and Pringle and how good those two really were.

I’d love it if we didn’t take a step back this year, but I don’t see how we can’t.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:9, topic:234"]Good points...but there does come a time when one has to take notice and realize that ED has done more with less in this league than most. And this year he would seem to have the pieces to run more of his style of play than in the past.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of you post and I do think Talor is being underestimated but I still can’t see how people are expecting us to be a better team this year. We are going to be playing at least 4 guys that saw very little action and we’re counting on a few guys to average double digits that are pretty unproven at this level.

Honestly, I’m not sure who’s underestimating who…the Media underestimating Battle and all of the intangibles he brings, or our own fans underestimating Cornley and Pringle and how good those two really were.

I’d love it if we didn’t take a step back this year, but I don’t see how we can’t.

I agree on all points LP but besides Cornley we had no proven scorers coming into last season. Battle showed glimpses of the player he has become and Pringle had a break-out season. Players step up that’s the nature of the game.

And I am being cautiously optimistic about this season.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:9, topic:234"]Good points...but there does come a time when one has to take notice and realize that ED has done more with less in this league than most. And this year he would seem to have the pieces to run more of his style of play than in the past.[/quote]

I agree on all points LP but besides Cornley we had no proven scorers coming into last season. Battle showed glimpses of the player he has become and Pringle had a break-out season. Players step up that’s the nature of the game.

And I am being cautiously optimistic about this season.

And guys tend to take a big step up from their first year to their second. Babb, Woodyard and Oliver should be better (although we have no way to know about Oliver) than last year. And so should Ott, now that he is acclimated to his new surroundings. I think Jones and Jackson let Cornley do more than he needed to do – and they both showed they had game when Cornley went down. I loved Cornley, Pringle and Morrissey as much as anyone. But, the biggest thing we’ll be missing from them is leadership and experience. I guess we’ll see over the next few months.

I’d add one other thing to that list, and it’s offense. In a close game, they were probably our #2, #3, and #4 scoring options. Last year, we could really burn teams if they tried to take Talor out of the games and make our other guys beat them. I think that Babb and Jones can certainly get to the point where they’ll step up and taking the scoring burden off of Talor, but I worry about how quickly that will happen.

Very good and fairly accurate post LP. There is no doubt that last year’s PSU team had tremendous chemistry with Battle/Pringle/Cornley on the floor. The talent I feel is there this year, but will that create the chemistry necessary to battle in the Big Ten?

[quote="mjg, post:12, topic:234"]I loved Cornley, Pringle and Morrissey as much as anyone. But, the biggest thing we'll be missing from them is leadership and experience. I guess we'll see over the next few months.[/quote]

I’d add one other thing to that list, and it’s offense. In a close game, they were probably our #2, #3, and #4 scoring options. Last year, we could really burn teams if they tried to take Talor out of the games and make our other guys beat them. I think that Babb and Jones can certainly get to the point where they’ll step up and taking the scoring burden off of Talor, but I worry about how quickly that will happen.

If you were worried before tonight’s game, you should be REALLY worried now.

Nobody showed any signs of being able to take some of the burden off of Talor’s shoulders.

[quote="mjg, post:12, topic:234"]I loved Cornley, Pringle and Morrissey as much as anyone. But, the biggest thing we'll be missing from them is leadership and experience. I guess we'll see over the next few months.[/quote]

If you were worried before tonight’s game, you should be REALLY worried now.

Nobody showed any signs of being able to take some of the burden off of Talor’s shoulders.

Agree…but we still have to play the season! Remember Popeye would say “I yam what I yam.” We all know PSU’s stature and talent in the grand scheme of BigTen11 and NCAA basketball. I won’t see the game until Monday. But I will be looking for solid hustling play. I noticed we only had 10 turnovers. This seems to be a good sign.

I posted in the post-game thread before I saw some of the observations here, but I agree. However, at this time last year, Andrew was hacking anyone any time he had to play D and Jamelle was wandering around the floor looking for a role and not getting the ball. The team really coalesced as the season progressed. Hope we see that kind of in-season improvement this year.

Ed’s teams seem to be slow starters through the years (relative to the competition). Don’t need to remind anyone about SELa, Stony Brook, and the Old Spice Classic (oops, just did). If you compare this year’s start to previous year’s starts, I’d say it was better than most. Not great, but better. Given the trend line in recent years to get better (even in the face of injuries like last year to Melle and 2 years ago to Geary), the future looks good.

Granted, foul trouble helped. But Ed played 11 guys in the first game, and not just junk minutes. Not only that, but all 11 players looked like they belonged on the basketball court. There’s a lot to work on, but one thing I noticed was that we didn’t have one of those embarrassing 4-5 minute stretches (or longer) where it looked like they just forgot how to play.

Also, I think Penn is going to be pretty good. They have some guys who can play, guys coming back from injuries, etc. They played a disciplined team game with some good passing and movement. Both teams stopped going inside as the game went on because of all the fouls. I think this win will look OK down the road.

[quote=“ronb89, post:18, topic:234”]Ed’s teams seem to be slow starters through the years (relative to the competition). Don’t need to remind anyone about SELa, Stony Brook, and the Old Spice Classic (oops, just did). If you compare this year’s start to previous year’s starts, I’d say it was better than most. Not great, but better. Given the trend line in recent years to get better (even in the face of injuries like last year to Melle and 2 years ago to Geary), the future looks good.

Granted, foul trouble helped. But Ed played 11 guys in the first game, and not just junk minutes. Not only that, but all 11 players looked like they belonged on the basketball court. There’s a lot to work on, but one thing I noticed was that we didn’t have one of those embarrassing 4-5 minute stretches (or longer) where it looked like they just forgot how to play.

Also, I think Penn is going to be pretty good. They have some guys who can play, guys coming back from injuries, etc. They played a disciplined team game with some good passing and movement. Both teams stopped going inside as the game went on because of all the fouls. I think this win will look OK down the road.[/quote]

That’s a very good point. There were a couple of “let the clock wind down and have Talor chuck it” moments but for the most part we didn’t go through any long scoring droughts.

[quote=“ronb89, post:18, topic:234”]Ed’s teams seem to be slow starters through the years (relative to the competition). Don’t need to remind anyone about SELa, Stony Brook, and the Old Spice Classic (oops, just did). If you compare this year’s start to previous year’s starts, I’d say it was better than most. Not great, but better. Given the trend line in recent years to get better (even in the face of injuries like last year to Melle and 2 years ago to Geary), the future looks good.

Also, I think Penn is going to be pretty good. They have some guys who can play, guys coming back from injuries, etc. They played a disciplined team game with some good passing and movement. Both teams stopped going inside as the game went on because of all the fouls. I think this win will look OK down the road.[/quote]
Being from Stony Brook, that’s something I definitely remember. And since I wasn’t a Penn State student then…I was cheering for the Seawolves.