Temple's 'Turn Back the Clock Night' at McGonigle Hall

If you missed it, earlier in the week Temple did what so many of us wish PSU would do and played a basketball game at their cozy old joint - McGonigle Hall. The 3900 seat venue was soldout for their 63-39 beatdown of Bowling Green. It was the first game there since they moved out to the bigger Liacouras Center 12 years ago. They wore old-school throwback uniforms too. I cut out the article in the Philly Inquirer and plan on mailing it to Curley and Eddie D along with a concise letter pleading for such a game at Rec Hall. Can’t hurt…I know it’s been discussed in this space before and PSU would need to make a significant effort to fit-up Rec Hall for basketball again, but just get it done and get a game on the slate for next year! Here’s an exact quote from Temple coach Fran Dunphy from an article in the Philly Inquirer: “I hope it was a real good atmosphere for somebody. I think sometimes as a coach you get caught up in the game and you’re not appreciating all the things that happened in this building. There’s alot of history and tradition in this building, and it’s nice to celebrate that.” Kudos to Dunphy and Temple for recognizing that and making this happen.

Nice idea. Why can’t it happen at PSU…?

Until Penn State can prove it can fill the Jordan Center with any regularity, any game at Rec Hall (which, as has been noted, is a volleyball arena now) is a gimmick.

Gimmick or not, one game a year at The Rec would be awesome. Can you imagine scheduling the game for someone like say MSU. I like the idea.

It would be foolish to schedule MSU at Rec Hall - you’d just be giving $$$$ away. IF you are going to do it, you make it a game that wouldn’t draw at the BJC.

We’ve done A LOT of work with the athletic department to get a game at Rec Hall. There are many many things to deal with and as much as everyone wants to do it, it isn’t as simple as just saying “tonight we’ll play at Rec Hall” a major roadblock being the contract to play Big Ten basketball in the BJC requires that all Big Ten games be played there. That leaves you with OOC games and the issues are still the same in regards to the venue. It is something that is in the works, but it isn’t an easy fix.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:4, topic:579"]Gimmick or not, one game a year at The Rec would be awesome. Can you imagine scheduling the game for someone like say MSU. I like the idea.[/quote]

It would be foolish to schedule MSU at Rec Hall - you’d just be giving $$$$ away. IF you are going to do it, you make it a game that wouldn’t draw at the BJC.

I know that would be throwing money away, but the place would be electric for a game like MSU.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:4, topic:579"]Gimmick or not, one game a year at The Rec would be awesome. Can you imagine scheduling the game for someone like say MSU. I like the idea.[/quote]

that could be almost any game

Michigan State will draw 10-12,000 or more. At Rec Hall, you get 7000 max. At $12 a ticket, that could be $60,000 or more just being thrown away. The time to schedule a Rec Hall game is over break when you can use the novelty of the game as a drawing card.

Isn’t what Temple is doing also just a gimmick? I don’t really see the gigantic problem with the Jordan Center. I remember watching games on TV from Rec Hall when I was younger, the atmosphere was obviously better. But I think with a packed Jordan center the atmosphere could be almost as good. Sure, the success on the court has not really been there, but I mostly blame alumni for the lousy atmosphere there. Our fans have never embraced basketball like they do at most other major conference universities, and shame on them

Michigan State will draw 10-12,000 or more. At Rec Hall, you get 7000 max. At $12 a ticket, that could be $60,000 or more just being thrown away. The time to schedule a Rec Hall game is over break when you can use the novelty of the game as a drawing card.

Oh I understand, I don’t think there is much value at all in returning to rec hall for a single game unless there’s a scheduling conflict or something. Filling the BJC should be the priority for the athletic department, but they still haven’t been able to do it consistently

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:579"]Until Penn State can prove it can fill the Jordan Center with any regularity, any game at Rec Hall (which, as has been noted, is a volleyball arena now) is a gimmick.[/quote]

Isn’t what Temple is doing also just a gimmick? I don’t really see the gigantic problem with the Jordan Center. I remember watching games on TV from Rec Hall when I was younger, the atmosphere was obviously better. But I think with a packed Jordan center the atmosphere could be almost as good. Sure, the success on the court has not really been there, but I mostly blame alumni for the lousy atmosphere there. Our fans have never embraced basketball like they do at most other major conference universities, and shame on them

Thats key, it doesn’t matter how many people are at the game, if they dont do anything then its a mute point.

and that is Lar’s tough road to hoe

[quote="NGameday, post:12, topic:579"]Thats key, it doesn't matter how many people are at the game, if they dont do anything then its a mute point.[/quote]

and that is Lar’s tough road to hoe

;D

but maybe he’s trying to make a pun. ???

I agree it’ll never happen for a Big 10 game…obvious monetary reasons, and also the contractual restraints that I didn’t know about until now (but work on a waiver!). But no reason it can’t be done for an OOC game that the BJC would otherwise be it’s typical morgue self for. Temple basically picked Bowling Green over the XMas holidays for that reason. I’m sure PSU would do something similar. Though, I hope they’d make an effort to schedule a game with a little more juice than the Americans and Sacred Hearts of the world. But in reality, that’s what we’ll likely get. At this point, I’ll take it.

American went 24-7 and 21-11 the past two years and was in the NCAAs both season. Its true they aren’t that solid so far this season, but on paper American was a pretty solid OOC game to be slated. I know it was one of the ones I was looking forward to in the preseason.

The Patriot League? C’mon. IL plays Gonzaga at the Bulls home court, Temple hosts Kansas, Northwestern plays Notre Dame. Don’t you think PSU could up their targets to major conferences, or at least nationally competitive teams like Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler, Xavier? Yes, they did with Temple and V. Tech, but more of those would make sense.

FYI, the word is moot. A moot point, unless you mean unable unable to talk, which is mute, aka dumb. Might help in your next poli sci class. :wink:

[quote="NGameday, post:16, topic:579"]American went 24-7 and 21-11 the past two years and was in the NCAAs both season. Its true they aren't that solid so far this season, but on paper American was a pretty solid OOC game to be slated. I know it was one of the ones I was looking forward to in the preseason.[/quote]

The Patriot League? C’mon. IL plays Gonzaga at the Bulls home court, Temple hosts Kansas, Northwestern plays Notre Dame. Don’t you think PSU could up their targets to major conferences, or at least nationally competitive teams like Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler, Xavier? Yes, they did with Temple and V. Tech, but more of those would make sense.

FYI, the word is moot. A moot point, unless you mean unable unable to talk, which is mute, aka dumb. Might help in your next poli sci class. :wink:

haha thanks, I’ll make sure to catch that next time.

And yea the Patriot League isn’t exactly the ACC but American is big step up from NJIT…I do understand where you’re coming from though.