PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Temple in Big East - Football & Hoops

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7656299/temple-football-play-big-east-2012-season

This may hurt a little bit in Philly Recruiting.

I always felt like Temple was the one constant in the Atlantic 10. Its basically a completely different conference than it was with us, WVU, Rutgers. I think its a good move for Temple although Big East Football seems like its going to be really weak.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:1, topic:3158”]http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7656299/temple-football-play-big-east-2012-season

This may hurt a little bit in Philly Recruiting.[/quote]

I disagree. Philly already has Nova as a big east school, although with the whole b-east is changing, so it’s really hard to say.

Temple could just as easily expand their recruiting base. Who knows what the future of the BE is though. The only thing seems held together by twine.

I’m not sure Temple joining the Big East really changes much as far as their recruiting and as far as how it’d affect Penn State.

Drexel to the A-10 to replace Temple? :slight_smile:

Speaking of Temple, UMASS just started the 2nd half with a 15-0 run to go up by 10 on Temple in the A-10 tourney.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:6, topic:3158”]Drexel to the A-10 to replace Temple? :slight_smile:

Speaking of Temple, UMASS just started the 2nd half with a 15-0 run to go up by 10 on Temple in the A-10 tourney.[/quote]

Bubble teams are hoping for Temple. A10 is always one of those leagues that can steal a bid because the best team doesn’t team doesn’t win the tournament.

Temple will get more players, but it’s not going to impact Penn State or Villanova that much. All three schools are very different.

Now a 14-2 run by Temple and they are now up by 4.

Penn State is starting to “make noise” in Philly. Will this take some of that new found attention away from Penn State?

We have always had trouble penetrating the BIG 5 market. Now that Nova and Temple are both BIG EAST schools, will this newly heated rivalry take the attention away from us?

Had Temple not joined the BIG EAST, leaving Nova as the only BCS team in town, I could see a somewhat rivaly start to develope between the local BIG EAST school and the nearby BIG TEN school. How this detracts fro that is yet to be seen.

I'm not sure Temple joining the Big East really changes much as far as their recruiting and as far as how it'd affect Penn State.

Penn State is starting to “make noise” in Philly. Will this take some of that new found attention away from Penn State?

We have always had trouble penetrating the BIG 5 market. Now that Nova and Temple are both BIG EAST schools, will this newly heated rivalry take the attention away from us?

Had Temple not joined the BIG EAST, leaving Nova as the only BCS team in town, I could see a somewhat rivaly start to develope between the local BIG EAST school and the nearby BIG TEN school. How this detracts fro that is yet to be seen.

This isn’t a complicated formula. Players follow coaches. Assuming everything else is equal(facilities, league, etc), players follow coaches.

If kids like Pat Chambers a lot, they are going to come to Penn State. It doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing.

We haven’t had a coach that could attract these players, bottom line. Pat has a much different personality than any coach we have had in the past and unlike our previous coaches, he worked at a Philly program that a had a ton of success on the floor and in recruiting.

If Bruce Parkhill, Jerry Dunn, and Ed Dechellis were incredible recruiters and Penn State held them back, then why have none of these guys had any recruiting success at any major D1 program?

We have a coach that can recruit. It’s no more complicated than that.

FINAL: UMASS 77 Temple 71

[quote="Tom, post:5, topic:3158"]I'm not sure Temple joining the Big East really changes much as far as their recruiting and as far as how it'd affect Penn State.[/quote]

This isn’t a complicated formula. Players follow coaches. Assuming everything else is equal(facilities, league, etc), players follow coaches.

If kids like Pat Chambers a lot, they are going to come to Penn State. It doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing.

We haven’t had a coach that could attract these players, bottom line. Pat has a much different personality than any coach we have had in the past and unlike our previous coaches, he worked at a Philly program that a had a ton of success on the floor and in recruiting.

If Bruce Parkhill, Jerry Dunn, and Ed Dechellis were incredible recruiters and Penn State held them back, then why have none of these guys had any recruiting success at any major D1 program?

CONTEXT, BRO. CONTEXT !!!

If it were up to you, there would be one thread titled, “Chambers is awesome”, and the only post you are allowed to make is “this coach is SO MUCH better than the others”.

When you have adult conversations, you can touch on other issues without pissing in a Penn State Lover’s Cheerios. Give it a rest.

[quote="Tom, post:5, topic:3158"]I'm not sure Temple joining the Big East really changes much as far as their recruiting and as far as how it'd affect Penn State.[/quote]

Bruce retired, Jerry has not been a Head Man again and Ed went to Navy. None used PSU as a step stone.

Bruce retired, Jerry has not been a Head Man again and Ed went to Navy. None used PSU as a step stone.

Parkhill was an assistant at Ohio State first and he didn’t recruit.

People assume these guys were great recuiters and Penn State held them back because of location, lack of tradition, etc. I don’t believe that was ever the case.

[/quote]

CONTEXT, BRO. CONTEXT !!!

If it were up to you, there would be one thread titled, “Chambers is awesome”, and the only post you are allowed to make is “this coach is SO MUCH better than the others”.

When you have adult conversations, you can touch on other issues without pissing in a Penn State Lover’s Cheerios. Give it a rest.
[/quote]

Give it a rest?

That’s laughable coming from you.

I don’t know of a single person on earth who assumed anything like that. However, there is little more satisfying than a crushing straw man argument.

[quote="ChambersEra, post:14, topic:3158"]People assume these guys were great recruiters ...[/quote]

I don’t know of a single person on earth who assumed anything like that. However, there is little more satisfying than a crushing straw man argument.

Totaly agree.
Certainly the location, tradition and you can add academic standards have been offered up as barriers to the lack of recruiting success at Penn State. The other point offered up (at least as much) was that not one of those coaches were thought to be very good recruiters much less great recruiters. It is well known that Parkhill had an aversion to recruiting.
It has quickly become obvious that Chambers is off and running and lining up Penn State recruits at a higher level than general past experience. Don’t think for one minute there won’t be some caualties who go elsewhere for some of those other reasons.
Also, in this day in age it is extremely important to immediately demonstrate (as PC is doing) high recruiting skill. These days if it takes a few years before you can uptick the recruiting talent, there is a good bet you have lost your chance to impact real change.

No effect. A move to an unstable conference will not help Temple appear more stable or a better bet than PSU.

The Best thing PSU has going for it is conference stability and a potential culture change to one where the university is ready to embrace the college Bball recruiting culture. Now if only BIG to GO could get on Comcast then our TV/streaming platform would be = to that of the Big East.

Sources: Butler eyeing Atlantic 10