PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Temple game summary

Battle 8 points on 3-15 (20%) shooting. Stop Battle and you stop PSU.

Jones 7 pts, 4 rebounds. OK, but we need much more.

Brooks 3 pts and 1 rebound. Not acceptable for a 6’8" junior.

Babb 11 pts and 3 rebounds

Edwards 8 pts, 11 rebounds. He’s going to be a good player for PSU. The only big who can take the ball to the basket for PSU. Unfortunately he had 3 turnovers (freshman).

Frazier 0 points, 1 rebound. PSU needs him to grow up quickly.

PSU gave up 14 offensive rebounds (they had 4). That was how Temple scored because they only shot 30% for the game.

Only 7 guys played. No Ott, Borovnjak

I won’t go player by player but Temple shot 30% and won… pretty pathetic.

The big men are at fault for giving up so many Offensive Rebounds. PSU also lost the TO margin by 8 I believe.

Does this mean that PSU is atrocious in a slow paced, half court type game? If so, it will be a long B10 season unless ED figures something out offensively.

Edwards played well again, one of the only positives.

The 2 losses in Charleston are still a lot more frustrating than this one, especially the UNCW loss. I think this team will be pretty decent by the end of the year. The beginning of the B10 season might be a little rocky though.

We got the board back up, probably just as well that it went down for a while and gave people a buffer.
That last possession? I was really surprised when I saw Talor bringing the ball up. Just figured he would be coming off a screen.
In the post game Ed took the blame, said he wanted a couple of people “in position”, but by the time they got there Talor had moved
past that point in the play??
I think Ed should take the blame. With the game on the line we had two possessions, and what we went with didn’t even produce a shot. Not good.

Our inability to keep Temple off the offensive glass was the most damaging thing for us. At the same time I am amazed that they got something close to 20 offensive rebounds and still only ended up with 45 points.

Not sure but I am left to think that they felt Tim Frazier was not blocking out and cost some of those offensive rebounds. Just conjecture but something in his play was not pleasing the staff for him to not see the floor in the probably the final 15 minutes of the game.

Two straight games and Woodyard has not seen the floor. (( corection he did get 3 minutes today)) This after Jeradi (Sacred Heart game) suggested he might be the best pure shooter on the team. Even without that comment I always liked his shot. With the shooting I was looking at in this game, I would have liked to see him get a look.

We just upgraded the server memory, the request had been in for a few days but they just got to it. Hopefully this will stabilize us for the rest of the season.

That was a classic PSU-Temple game reminiscent of so many from the A10 days.

Most of us, self included, are going to be upset with the ending to the game.

But surely that isn’t where this game was won or lost when you play so miserably the entire day. You’ve got to be able to score more than 42 points if you expect to win, that’s all there is to it.

I mean - we were lucky to even be in this thing whatsoever scoring such a low amount, let alone have a chance to win it.

Going to need some more time to really evaluate the game, especially since I didn’t get to actually see it. But from listening along on the radio the whole time, it just seems like we are pretty clueless on offense as a unit. We have plenty of guys on the roster who can put the ball in the goal in different ways, and they are not scoring it consistently or prolifically enough.

It’s just another bump in the road though - this will likely be a very up and down type of season, as everyone is finally now coming to grips with. Let’s hope we learned some things as a team and can be better for it down the line.

I’m pretty sure Talor played hurt, one of the shots he slipped on he came up holding his groin area, Ed took him out but it looked like a normal sub situation. I dont think it was though, Talor was holding himself several times after the fact and it seemed to limit him a little. Our biggest issue in that game was giving Temple easy second chance points. Missed shot, temple rebound, easy put in. That gave them atleast 10 points…game right there.

Just back from the game. Officials were totally inconsistent. 5 fouls in first half, 20 in the second half. Temple took away the 3 point line from our guards and played great help defense on any drives. Lots bunnies that hoped out of the rim. They physically beat on Talor all game. PSU needs to really find a guy to score consistently inside the arc because Temple was almost daring us to do that.

Edwards is going to be the number 2 man on this team eventually, he just needs to get back to 100% because he wants the ball and wants to make plays.

I agree with the ref issue.

So few calls in the first half and then 2 calls against us in the first defensive possesion? We’re talking ticky tac calls…

Offensive foul that was hard to even figure out let alone call late late in a game?

No tripping call at the end?

We had out chances to win, and I’m not going to be the guy to blame it all on the refs, but they didn’t help us out much

One of the ugliest games, from both sides, that I ever saw. The offensive rebounds 17 to 7, pretty pitiful. And lots of our defensive rebounds were on Temple airballs.

Guys on the front line need to do a gut check. As the teams get rougher, they go to the arc. That ain’t gonna work. While Temple wasn’t skilled, they played tough. We didn’t.

I think Edwards has to start, but I don’t see him as a 2. He had 11 rebounds, and as noted in the opening thread, he seems like the only big(at least today) who was willing to go inside to score. He might be the best 4 on the team. After DJ’s huge inside game vs. SHU, while I didn’t expect him to light it up inside like that regularly, I did expect him to continue to try to score that way. In 56 combined minutes, Brooks and DJ hit one shot inside the arc. DJ only took 1 shot inside the arc in 31 minutes, and 2 treys. If you give up trying to score inside, the whole offense collapses. No FTA’s from the two starting forwards, none from Babb in 29 minutes. It’s like players want to avoid contact or driving. Would have liked to see Sasa.

As a team, we took 24 shots inside the arc, Temple took 43. Oh, well.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:11, topic:424”]One of the ugliest games, from both sides, that I ever saw. The offensive rebounds 17 to 7, pretty pitiful. And lots of our defensive rebounds were on Temple airballs.

Guys on the front line need to do a gut check. As the teams get rougher, they go to the arc. That ain’t gonna work. While Temple wasn’t skilled, they played tough. We didn’t.

I think Edwards has to start, but I don’t see him as a 2. He had 11 rebounds, and as noted in the opening thread, he seems like the only big(at least today) who was willing to go inside to score. He might be the best 4 on the team. After DJ’s huge inside game vs. SHU, while I didn’t expect him to light it up inside like that regularly, I did expect him to continue to try to score that way. In 56 combined minutes, Brooks and DJ hit one shot inside the arc. DJ only took 1 shot inside the arc in 31 minutes, and 2 treys. If you give up trying to score inside, the whole offense collapses. No FTA’s from the two starting forwards, none from Babb in 29 minutes. It’s like players want to avoid contact or driving. Would have liked to see Sasa.

As a team, we took 24 shots inside the arc, Temple took 43. Temple took 77 shots, we took 62. Oh, well.[/quote]

See Kid, there was lots contact today, it wasn’t called… I agree though they did not go inside in post sets to score enough Temple was clamping down dribble drives… Spacing was horrible

Jerardi said it was a good call on the radio.

It looked to me like Bill pushed off pretty good. I had no problem with the call.

I told Cappy by old fashioned communication after the game that in the video feed Bill clearly cleared out with his right hand. Any official on earth would have called it. Freshman error or too much summer ball, not enough game action yet – whatever.

I’m with Craftsy, can’t say in any way we deserved to win that one, so disappointed but not crushed. On the other hand, we are going to be better, eventually, than I thought we would be. Edwards is the real deal, Frazier will bring it once he has some experience.

I feel the same. Frazier and Edwards are better than I thought they’d be. I find myself constantly trying to temper my enthusiasm about Edwards but I haven’t seen a guy like him in blue and white in a long time. He just has “it”. Geary was an athlete first and a basketball player second. Bill is a basketball player and, while not the athlete Geary was, he has a basketball body. I wonder how much his athleticism is hampered by the injury.

There is understandably not a ton of chemistry between Battle and Frazier/Edwards yet. If we can develop some, I think we’ll be a very good basketball team.

Edwards committed what looked like a blatant foul. The refs did let the Owls hand check all day long. Ed should’ve complained on this and they may have paid more attention.

On our inside play, if you’re playing a UConn or Oklahoma with Thabeet or Blake Griffin, you can understand why our bigs get intimidated and not want to play inside, but vs. Temple? Doesn’t bode so well for Big 10 play, unless there are changes made. Another difficulty I see, mentioned by PSUdraw, is spacing. When our bigs are inside, they don’t seem to be in a position to receive a pass with their back to the basket. If they were, why didn’t they get the ball, and why didn’t they get shooting fouls? When Battle and Frazier drove, our bigs’ cover switch to stop those two. IMO, our bigs should be in a position to get the ball and score(which they’re not) or get out of the way and allow the guards to drive to the hoop. I once mentioned a tennis analogy, where you’re either at the net, or at the baseline, not in between, in no man’s land. Same thing in hoops. Inside or outside, not sort of maybe inside, as you’re just in the way. IMO, this is Ed’s fault. Spacing is a coaching issue. It seems like it’s become, just give Talor the ball, and he’ll figure it out. Even the Davidson announcer said PSU was lucky they’re athletic, as their offense is just a mess.

While Temple will never be accused of being an offensive juggernaut, one of the things to take away from the game is much better team defense on the ball. We prevented easy drives and/or passes off of screens, and kept the number of open looks on first shots to a minimum. However, the rebounding was atrocious. Temple took 17 more shots than we did (60-43), and that was in large part due to their offensive rebounds (14 for them compared to 26 defensive boards to us). Also, we lost the turnover battle 14-6. So, while we improved on stopping the easy looks, we didn’t finish defensive plays by getting turnovers or boards at the level we needed to win.

That said, the defense was fine. If you only give up 45 points, you should win 19 of 20 times. Offensively we just were never in sync. I posted during the game thread one play that was indicative of the offensive struggles. Talor had the ball on the left wing, and I think they were trying to set up a 2 man game with Jones. After dribbling around for a bit, Jones came out to set a screen, drawing a second defender. A third defender hedged over from the top of the key, hemming in Talor with 3 guys. I looked at PSU’s spacing… Babb was in the opposite corner, just standing there. Not sure who else was there, but someone was on the far side low post, also unavailable to any pass, and the third guy (I think it was Edwards) was standing at the 3 point line on the far wing. There was no one in the lane on offense or defense. So Talor had the ball with a screener, and 3 defenders hemming him in. And even though 3 guys were on him, no one else was available for an outlet, and no one was even moving. If Edwards had flashed straight to the near side high post, he would have had an unimpeded drive to the hoop. Or an easy dish to Brooks or Jones down low if one of their defenders came over to him. Instead, Talor tried to dribble through 3 defenders and I think ended up turning it over.

Just one play, but one that stood out in my mind. After a while in the second half, they just stopped moving on offense. Talor tried to do everything and everyone just cleared out and waited for Talor to make a move. That worked against Virginia, but there need to be some other options.

I’m torn on our offensive “sets”. I like having the ball in Talor’s hands because he is our best player. But it seems to me like we’re trying too hard to run the pick & roll with him and it’s not working too well. And one of the side effects is that the other 3 guys start standing around too much and get stagnant.

Some pretty scathing coments here, (didn’t realize the huge advantage Temple had on the O-glass), yet we lost on the road by just 3 points to a pretty good team. Maybe there is reason for optimism.

Actully, one thing I took was that we played pretty good defense throughout. Frustrationg that we had the wiinning shot in our hands and didn’t deliver.

We got into old stand around, watch Talor dribble hanits inead of passng the ball. When we pass, it’s amazing how much easier the 3s get, and how we can get some insude buckets.

I think it’s a matter of time before Edwards sgtarts.