PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tell me one thing

Tell me one thing (consider all the posts during/since the Maine game) that a knowledgable fan did not know after last season!
Answer-------NOTHING Seriously, it’s no one’s fault but the administration. Failure to act…can be negative!

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

How smart does it seem to say…“Well, just one more year, now?”

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1673”]Tell me one thing (consider all the posts during/since the Maine game) that a knowledgable fan did not know after last season!
Answer-------NOTHING Seriously, it’s no one’s fault but the administration. Failure to act…can be negative!

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

How smart does it seem to say…“Well, just one more year, now?”[/quote]

There is no good argument to be made for firing Ed before this season. We’ve been over it a thousand times here. Let it go already. If you really want to continue crying about something in the past, you are better off worrying about why he was ever hired in the first place. But you won’t find much peace in doing that either.

I wonder what most of you would do if this program ever did climb out of the cellar for good. You all disappear anytime something remotely positive happens and come flying back in droves at the first sign of trouble. A bit of sustained success for this program would probably send most of you to the brink of suicide.

What in the world would you all have to talk about if that ever happened? This Ed thing is the best thing some of you have going in your lives apparently.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1673”]Tell me one thing (consider all the posts during/since the Maine game) that a knowledgable fan did not know after last season!

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

How smart does it seem to say…“Well, just one more year, now?”[/quote] "They made shots we didn’t " “Burn the game tape and move on” 2 of my favorites. Seriously though anyone who claims they didn’t see this coming is completely FOS or has no clue about the game of basketball. It’s only going to get worse so hang on. One of these days our luck will change. :’(

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1673"]Tell me one thing (consider all the posts during/since the Maine game) that a knowledgable fan did not know after last season! Answer-------[b]NOTHING[/b] Seriously, it's no one's fault but the administration. Failure to act.............can be negative!

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

There is no good argument to be made for firing Ed before this season. We’ve been over it a thousand times here. Let it go already. If you really want to continue crying about something in the past, you are better off worrying about why he was ever hired in the first place. But you won’t find much peace in doing that either.

I wonder what most of you would do if this program ever did climb out of the cellar for good. You all disappear anytime something remotely positive happens and come flying back in droves at the first sign of trouble. A bit of sustained success for this program would probably send most of you to the brink of suicide.

What in the world would you all have to talk about if that ever happened? This Ed thing is the best thing some of you have going in your lives apparently.

This is a crap post. ALL OF US want this team to succeed. We all want to discuss the X’s and O’S of how to beat our next opponent, we want to discuss RPI, what our opponents are doing, what our previous opponents have done…you know, like 2008-2009.

We don’t discuss those things because it’s all for naught at this point. ED has soured so many people on this program that it’s all we can talk about anymore. There’s no point in discussing RPI when you lose to Maine on your home floor.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1673"]Tell me one thing (consider all the posts during/since the Maine game) that a knowledgable fan did not know after last season! Answer-------[b]NOTHING[/b] Seriously, it's no one's fault but the administration. Failure to act.............can be negative!

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

This is a crap post. ALL OF US want this team to succeed. We all want to discuss the X’s and O’S of how to beat our next opponent, we want to discuss RPI, what our opponents are doing, what our previous opponents have done…you know, like 2008-2009.

We don’t discuss those things because it’s all for naught at this point. ED has soured so many people on this program that it’s all we can talk about anymore. There’s no point in discussing RPI when you lose to Maine on your home floor.

Nice story, too bad it’s not true. Even in 2008/09 the amount of people crying around here was extraordinarily high, telling us we shouldn’t be excited about the NIT and that it’s a failure and Ed should be fired for the schedule and on and on and on.

Now this season, there are all kinds of people I’ve never seen posting here before that suddenly decide to show up and spam the board with their boo-hoo’ing. There are a lot of people who “claim” to follow this program that are much more interested in just bitching about it than actually seeing it succeed, probably as a way to pass the time while football is quiet so they can head back over to FOS and bitch about it come summer and fall.

How has Ed soured support for a program that was never regularly successful in the first place? That’s crap. You can say he’s kept interest right about where it always has been, but stop acting like he’s buried the program. It was dead and buried when he got here, some people thought he was waking it back up slightly a couple of years ago, and now it looks like he hasn’t. Okay, so it’s probably time to move on after this year. All this freaking sobbing on here has to stop. This place used to be above that kind of garbage.

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

Nice story, too bad it’s not true. Even in 2008/09 the amount of people crying around here was extraordinarily high, telling us we shouldn’t be excited about the NIT and that it’s a failure and Ed should be fired for the schedule and on and on and on.

Now this season, there are all kinds of people I’ve never seen posting here before that suddenly decide to show up and spam the board with their boo-hoo’ing. There are a lot of people who “claim” to follow this program that are much more interested in just bitching about it than actually seeing it succeed, probably as a way to pass the time while football is quiet so they can head back over to FOS and bitch about it come summer and fall.

How has Ed soured support for a program that was never regularly successful in the first place? That’s crap. You can say he’s kept interest right about where it always has been, but stop acting like he’s buried the program. It was dead and buried when he got here, some people thought he was waking it back up slightly a couple of years ago, and now it looks like he hasn’t. Okay, so it’s probably time to move on after this year. All this freaking sobbing on here has to stop. This place used to be above that kind of garbage.

So says the guy that cried day after day about Joe Pa and the football program. I would love to see Craftsy’s suggestions on what exactly we are to talk about on here ::slight_smile:

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

So says the guy that cried day after day about Joe Pa and the football program. I would love to see Craftsy’s suggestions on what exactly we are to talk about on here ::slight_smile:

Ed’s charitable work in the Community

I’m assuming you’re one of the guys who cites recruiting purposes and a senior class as why ED shouldn’t have been fired? It didn’t take a genius to see that this team was worse off than last year after the transfer of Babb and departure of Ott. Worse off than a team that won 3 conference games. I’ll give in to the fact that this team definitely wasn’t 3 win quality, but they certainly weren’t good.

Curley could have certainly justified the firing of ED after last season citing his record, the awful record of last season’s team and how their season ended - a pathetic performance against Minnesota. I guess his putrid overall record and worst season since 06-07 weren’t enough. ::slight_smile:

Oh well, it really doesn’t matter now. You think there wasn’t enough argument, I think there was - whatever. What is your outlook upon the near future? You can cite recent posts if don’t feel like re-typing it.

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

I won’t question posters such as Tundra, who is always here. There are some who only show up here when things are going bad – presumably to antagonize the “apologists”. Those people need a life.

I’m on record saying this is a must win year for ED. If he doesn’t get it done, then I’d favor replacing him. However, I see a midseason move as useless, perhaps even doing more harm than good. We’d end up with an interim coach. And then what happens if the interim coach does well enough to be named head coach? Let ED finish the year. See how we respond to last night. And if we don’t turn it around, then start looking. That’s my position.

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

I won’t question posters such as Tundra, who is always here. There are some who only show up here when things are going bad – presumably to antagonize the “apologists”. Those people need a life.

I’m on record saying this is a must win year for ED. If he doesn’t get it done, then I’d favor replacing him. However, I see a midseason move as useless, perhaps even doing more harm than good. We’d end up with an interim coach. And then what happens if the interim coach does well enough to be named head coach? Let ED finish the year. See how we respond to last night. And if we don’t turn it around, then start looking. That’s my position.

That’s the logical position to take. That’s the one any reasonable fan should be at right now. There are not a whole lot of ways to arrive at any other conclusion that still qualify as objective and reasonable, despite what some may think.

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

I see the point about mid-term firing. BUT, you must guard against waiting too long. The decision should be made several weeks before the end of season. The announcement should be made before the last game. Let the coaches have a "swan song."
Then try to be AHEAD of the CURVE in the search department. NO waiting on putting together a “search committee”, etc etc. Have all your ducks in the row and be ready to recruit a new coach. Ahead of the competition!! Judas, it is not as if we didn’t know this was coming for years! Management should be very well prepared before the end of the season!!
I will not beat a dead horse BUT I believe if we acted at the end of last year we would have had Mike Rice. I think Rice is “program builder” type guy!! THAT is how we would have been ahead by acting last year!!
PSU management have given away years (in bunches) accepting certain failure and an empty BJC. College men’s basketball is Booming!! Everywhere. Why do Apologists keep defending management for not addressing the issue.
PSU needs a sense of urgency…NOT complacency!!

Mike Rice was hired very late by Rutgers and has done a great job so far. Not only has he cleaned up on the recruiting trail, but he has coached the depleted roster to an 8-2 record so far. Rutgers won’t do much in the Big East, but they won’t be embarrassed.

Rice has a Top 15 recruiting class after having a late start and absolutely nothing to hang his recruiting hat on besides playing time. I have to be careful though, because Rice has a great staff behind him.

[quote=“tundra, post:11, topic:1673”]I see the point about mid-term firing. BUT, you must guard against waiting too long. The decision should be made several weeks before the end of season. The announcement should be made before the last game. Let the coaches have a "swan song."
Then try to be AHEAD of the CURVE in the search department. NO waiting on putting together a “search committee”, etc etc. Have all your ducks in the row and be ready to recruit a new coach. Ahead of the competition!! Judas, it is not as if we didn’t know this was coming for years! Management should be very well prepared before the end of the season!!
I will not beat a dead horse BUT I believe if we acted at the end of last year we would have had Mike Rice. I think Rice is “program builder” type guy!! THAT is how we would have been ahead by acting last year!!
PSU management have given away years (in bunches) accepting certain failure and an empty BJC. College men’s basketball is Booming!! Everywhere. Why do Apologists keep defending management for not addressing the issue.
PSU needs a sense of urgency…NOT complacency!! [/quote]

tundra I think you point out the way it should happen but I have no confidence in the current athletic administration to do what you outline. We have seen some recent signs of going for more “respected” coaching hires but there has seems to be heavy donor influences on those choices ($$$). I just wonder if there will be people step up behind the scenes and put that kind of influence in a change in men’s basketball.

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

You’re absolutely right. It’s TERRIBLE, downright TERRIBLE that there were fans who chose to remain hopeful for both Ed and the program as a whole.

Seriously, what is it that you hope to gain by posting these remarks? What are you expecting, exactly? An apology from fans who kept their fingers crossed, thinking that Ed might be able to get us back on track?

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Still, I’d like to think that if Ed did manage to get things back on track, those of us who were hopeful for him wouldn’t be rubbing his success in the faces of other fans.

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

You’re absolutely right. It’s TERRIBLE, downright TERRIBLE that there were fans who chose to remain hopeful for both Ed and the program as a whole.

Seriously, what is it that you hope to gain by posting these remarks? What are you expecting, exactly? An apology from fans who kept their fingers crossed, thinking that Ed might be able to get us back on track?

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Still, I’d like to think that if Ed did manage to get things back on track, those of us who were hopeful for him wouldn’t be rubbing his success in the faces of other fans.

I don’t think itis gloating, but just a build up of frustration regarding men’s hoops and the embarassing situation we are in at this juncture. I think if anything, the staunch supporters of Ed have to also shoulder a bit of blame. United pressure on this adm is the only way Ed will be gone. They don’t understand anything else. The longer they hold on to that thread of hope that Ed has support, the longer it will be before we see a change. Don’t be surprised if Mo Larry & CURLEY retain Ed and call it a rebuilding year next year.

After last season’s LAST PLACE performance in the coach’s 7th season anyone who did not write/E-Mail management and request a new coach was NOT doing the program any favors.
Tell me, will you be a “good fan” and cross your fingers at the end of this season. Just hoping the program will get on track is not sound management nor sound fandom (made up word.)
What I hope to gain…??..IS TO GET REAL FANS TO WRITE/E-MAIL MANAGEMENT AND TELL THEM YOU WANT A BETTER BASKETBALL PROGRAM! No more…no less. Just write a mature adult calm letter. No YELLING, no bad words, etc, etc. If you think a new coach is needed, then, ask for a new coach. List any other ideas you may have. A couple of simple sentences will be enough. This “non profit” organization should welcome the input from fans!
P.S. If you don’t want a better basketball program then there would be no need to write…just cross your fingers!

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

I don’t think itis gloating, but just a build up of frustration regarding men’s hoops and the embarassing situation we are in at this juncture. I think if anything, the staunch supporters of Ed have to also shoulder a bit of blame. United pressure on this adm is the only way Ed will be gone. They don’t understand anything else. The longer they hold on to that thread of hope that Ed has support, the longer it will be before we see a change. Don’t be surprised if Mo Larry & CURLEY retain Ed and call it a rebuilding year next year.

I understand the frustration, but I never understood, and still don’t understand, why anyone would take it out on their fellow fans. It’s not like any of Ed’s supporters supported him because they thought he would fail. I’ve been on the fence with this issue since for a long time. Like some other folks, I wasn’t entirely convinced that our NIT run was proof that Ed could and would succeed. I learned my lesson after Dunn’s trip to the sweet 16. But I can’t blame anyone for believing that Ed earned himself (not deserved, but earned) another season or two at the helm, hence why I never complain about that. It made sense to me when I looked at how things played out over the last two years. Heck, as bad as last season was, we lost something like 8 or 9 games by six points or less, and that’s not counting the blown lead to Michigan and the OT loss to Wisky. Those who thought that another year of experience would put this team on the winning side of most or all of those types of games had a reasonable argument, IMO. Now it doesn’t look like it will work out that way, but I can’t feel any animosity towards people for having a rational opinion, even if that opinion turns out to be wrong in the end…

Thank you APOLOGISTS!!

Seriously, where do you people come from? The planet Oblivion, where people think they get things to “be done” by sending an on-line petition full of anonymous screen-names to a guy who doesn’t care in the first place?

Really?

I care so, so, so much that I will go completely out of my way to maybe use my real name when I take 2 seconds to type it in and click “OK”. Boy, that’s activism right there. I’ll put my name on that, right after the on-line petitions to end terrorism, stop hunger, and eliminate the drug trade.

Are you one of those people who forward on messages from Bill Gates so that the little boy can have his bone marrow transplant paid for?

LOL skeeza, you’re supporting the death of those poor kids by not forwarding those emails. And of course, you’ll have a curse put on your love life for the next 7 years if you don’t. :wink:

[quote=“tundra, post:16, topic:1673”]After last season’s LAST PLACE performance in the coach’s 7th season anyone who did not write/E-Mail management and request a new coach was NOT doing the program any favors.
Tell me, will you be a “good fan” and cross your fingers at the end of this season. Just hoping the program will get on track is not sound management nor sound fandom (made up word.)
What I hope to gain…??..IS TO GET REAL FANS TO WRITE/E-MAIL MANAGEMENT AND TELL THEM YOU WANT A BETTER BASKETBALL PROGRAM! No more…no less. Just write a mature adult calm letter. No YELLING, no bad words, etc, etc. If you think a new coach is needed, then, ask for a new coach. List any other ideas you may have. A couple of simple sentences will be enough. This “non profit” organization should welcome the input from fans!
P.S. If you don’t want a better basketball program then there would be no need to write…just cross your fingers![/quote]

Hoping that the program improves is not sound “fandom”? And the alternative to that - not hoping for improvement - is a more appealing option in what way? The fans don’t manage a darn thing; the university does that. One fan’s hope, or lack thereof, isn’t going to change that. Now writing letters is all well and good (speaking from experience, making donations, and promising more when the program gets back on track, is more likely to get you a response), and I’m all for that, but it’s ridiculous for you to imply that “real” fans are supposed to be just as cynical as you apparently are or that they somehow hurt this program if they didn’t write a stinkin’ letter at the end of last year. Be as frustrated as you want. I’m sure most of us feel the same way. But taking it out on other fans, most of whom are probably just as disappointed as you are, isn’t going to net us any more wins this season or beyond…