PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Taran Buie Suspended

[quote="JakkL, post:19, topic:1693"]I think if it was grade related he would have missed the Maine game.[/quote]

Exactly. Finals were over Friday the 17th.

How long until Penn State students know their grades? Do student athletes know theirs sooner?

My last final was the 16th and I still don’t know any of my grades.

[quote=“NGameday, post:16, topic:1693”]Just a fwiw:

From the time I’ve spent in the basketball offices Buie has gotten nothing but glowing reviews in regards to his practice, lockerroom, and additude towards doing what it takes to win. If I had to guess, and it’s just a guess, this is related to his grades, not legal issues.[/quote]

No offense to you, but if they didn’t like his attitude I don’t think they would want an outsider like you to know about it. They are going to toe the company line and say good things about him. Violations of team rules I don’t think would be grade-related. Again, don’t mean any offense to you.

[quote="NGameday, post:16, topic:1693"]Just a fwiw:

From the time I’ve spent in the basketball offices Buie has gotten nothing but glowing reviews in regards to his practice, lockerroom, and additude towards doing what it takes to win. If I had to guess, and it’s just a guess, this is related to his grades, not legal issues.[/quote]

No offense to you, but if they didn’t like his attitude I don’t think they would want an outsider like you to know about it. They are going to toe the company line and say good things about him. Violations of team rules I don’t think would be grade-related. Again, don’t mean any offense to you.

True, and no offense taken.

[quote="JakkL, post:19, topic:1693"]I think if it was grade related he would have missed the Maine game.[/quote]

Exactly. Finals were over Friday the 17th.

How long until Penn State students know their grades? Do student athletes know theirs sooner?

My last final was the 16th and I still don’t know any of my grades.

It depends I guess. I think athletes probably get them pretty quickly, but nearly everyone should have them by early in the week after finals. Profs and instructors want to get home for break also, so most probably have them done by Sunday if possible.

Big news, not good. Don’t want to speculate on what it is, but a suspension pretty serious stuff. Don’t like that it’s indefinite.

I agree, indefinite concerns me. That is another reason it isn’t grades.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:25, topic:1693"]Big news, not good. Don't want to speculate on what it is, but a suspension pretty serious stuff. Don't like that it's indefinite.[/quote]

Not necessarily. He could have a deferred grade that he has to make up. Penn State has until the first day of classes of the new semester, specifically January 10th, to file their eligibility report with the NCAA. So Buie could have a grade that he has to take care of and DeChellis has decided he won’t play him until it’s completed.

I really don’t recall any team punishing a player in any sport for grades and calling it a “violation of team rules”. It would be noted as an academic issue. I highly doubt this has to do with academics.

We don’t know the answer, so why speculate? Could be a wide range of reasons that are classified as a “violation of team rules”.

I think the biggest positive out of this season could be Buie leaving after it’s all over. He has shown nothing but a bad attitude, and his off the court stuff is just not what the program needs right now. If he was good, I could somewhat tolerate it, but he isn’t. He looks like he doesn’t care, refuses to move out of 1st gear, and doesn’t defend well.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:25, topic:1693"]Big news, not good. Don't want to speculate on what it is, but a suspension pretty serious stuff. Don't like that it's indefinite.[/quote]

Not necessarily. He could have a deferred grade that he has to make up. Penn State has until the first day of classes of the new semester, specifically January 10th, to file their eligibility report with the NCAA. So Buie could have a grade that he has to take care of and DeChellis has decided he won’t play him until it’s completed.

I didn’t think the NCAA had anything to do with academic eligibility in the player’s FRESHMAN year. We had this discussion about the 1-and-done players.

Out of 1st gear? He’ll be fine as a player. Talor struggled his first year as well. Doesn’t defend well? Not sure what your’e seeing. On points, he’s 4th, despite 6 guys playing more. On Lar’s favorite, tempo free scoring, he’s 3rd. He’s made some mistakes, but I’d still want him at crunch time. That family doesn’t know the word choke. IMO, the team is sometimes so out of synch, it has to be Ed. People mentioning Brooks getting the ball at the high post is a good sign. Takes pressure off the arc, something some of us have been dying for all year. I wouldn’t worry about Taran’s game. I am concerned for his well being. You’ve posted twice. Is this what we have to look forward to?

I didn’t think the NCAA had anything to do with academic eligibility in the player’s FRESHMAN year. We had this discussion about the 1-and-done players.

I don’t remember having the discussion.

From the D1 Manual

14.4.3 E ligibility for Competition.
14.4.3.1 Fulfillment of Credit-Hour Requirements. Eligibility for competition shall be determined based on satisfactory completion of at least:
. . .
© Six-semester or six-quarter hours of academic credit during the preceding regular academic term (e.g., fall semester, winter quarter) in which the student-athlete has been enrolled full time at any collegiate institution.

I was really surprised to see this. When I looked at the boxscore I found it odd that he hadn’t played and then I saw he was suspended. I don’t like that it’s indefinite. Hopefully what ever issues he has are worked out and we can have him back on the court.

Me too. Suppose we’ll know more details before the UM game. I don’t think his on court attitude has been bad. He’s made some frosh mistakes on the court, and I think he rolls his eyes cause he knows he’s made an error. Seems to me he’s hard on himself. I’ve seen this kid play in crunch time, several times against big time players, and he’s going to be valuable in the Big 10.

Good lord.

I think the biggest positive out of this season could be Buie leaving after it's all over. He has shown nothing but a bad attitude, and his off the court stuff is just not what the program needs right now. If he was good, I could somewhat tolerate it, but he isn't. He looks like he doesn't care, refuses to move out of 1st gear, and doesn't defend well.

Good lord.

See what happens when you start approving those new users. :slight_smile:

PS – Welcome back to frequent posting! Hope this means you’re feeling great!

If Taran were to stick with the program for his entire college career I have no doubt he would develop into a double digit scorer. His absence may not be a huge loss in the present, but it would be in the future.

I think we’ll miss him in the short term as well.

I think the biggest positive out of this season could be Buie leaving after it's all over. He has shown nothing but a bad attitude, and his off the court stuff is just not what the program needs right now. If he was good, I could somewhat tolerate it, but he isn't. He looks like he doesn't care, refuses to move out of 1st gear, and doesn't defend well.

Out of 1st gear? He’ll be fine as a player. Talor struggled his first year as well. Doesn’t defend well? Not sure what your’e seeing. On points, he’s 4th, despite 3 guys playing more. On Lar’s favorite, tempo free scoring, he’s 3rd. He’s made some mistakes, but I’d still want him at crunch time. That family doesn’t know the word choke. IMO, the team is sometimes so out of synch, it has to be Ed. People mentioning Brooks getting the ball at the high post is a good sign. Takes pressure off the arc, something some of us have been dying for all year. I wouldn’t worry about Taran’s game. I am concerned for his well being. You’ve posted twice. Is this what we have to look forward to?

I was unaware that Taran Buie got his brother’s clutch gene. Listen, the kid is awful off the court, and he isn’t good enough on it as far as I’m concerned. Taran looks like he could really care less when he gets into the game. Whereas, his attitude should be to work as hard as possible. We obviously didn’t miss Buie last night, and in fact, we played more together as a team. I don’t know what you see in him, but he definitely isn’t his 1/2 brother.

Since when was scoring points, a tribute to how hard you work defensively? Buie is shooting 25% from the field and 57% from the line. Against equal opposition here are his stats:

@ Mississippi: 18 minutes, 2-5 shooting, 0-1 from 3, 6 pts, 3 rbs, 2 asts, 0 TOs
vs Maryland: 13 minutes, 0-9 shooting, 0-5 from 3, 0 pts, 2 rbs, 0 asts, 0 TOs
vs Virginia Tech: 12 minutes, 2-7 shooting, 1-3 from 3, 5 pts, 0 rbs, 0 asts, 1 TO

So against equal opposition (or power conference opponents, toyed with putting Duquesne on here, but didn’t) here is his average per game:
14.3 MPG, 3.7 PPG, 1.7 RPG, .7 APG, .3 TPG
Shooting Percentages: 4-21 FG (19%), 1-9 3PT (11%)

Are we really going to miss him? Other than giving a blow for players, I don’t see how this guy has contributed anything substantial this season. He’s not on the same level of his 1/2 brother, and probably never will be. He’s likely to leave at the end of the season, lets wash our hands, and start over next season. Odds are we’ll have a new coach, we lose all our seniors, and Buie will transfer somewhere else. I think he looks lazy, and completely over-hyped. One thing about Battle his freshman year, he worked pretty dang hard, and at least looked like he cared. I can’t say the same for Buie.

EDIT: Sorry, Buie is actually shooting 35% from the field, and 25% from 3 for the season.