PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Taran Buie charged with cell phone thefts

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/07/12/2830567/taran-buie-charged-with-cell-phone.html

::slight_smile:

You have to wonder if this will end his Hofstra opportunity. He sure doesn’t seem to be learning from his mistakes.

SHOCKING!!

[quote="Tom, post:1, topic:2545"][url=http://www.centredaily.com/2011/07/12/2830567/taran-buie-charged-with-cell-phone.html]http://www.centredaily.com/2011/07/12/2830567/taran-buie-charged-with-cell-phone.html[/url][/quote]

You have to wonder if this will end his Hofstra opportunity. He sure doesn’t seem to be learning from his mistakes.

The incident happened in February, so it was pre-existing when he accepted to Hofstra. hoepfully they already know.

This happened in what I like to call his “knuckleheaded era”. Hopefully, it has passed by with the change of scenery.

My onlyy concern is like I said before, it looks like he change his scenery to York, PA over the summer, and that place is nothing but bad news.

Hardly high crimes, but stealing is stealing. He seems like a kid who is living VERY close to the edge. If college hoops is taken away from him you have to fear for his future.

Not to change topics, but how is a Verizon Droid valued at $559? I bought mine for like $50, the retail price (without having one of those plan discount things) was around $200.

An iPhone for $600!? I’m not a phone junkie, but that is ridiculous.

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:2545”]Not to change topics, but how is a Verizon Droid valued at $559? I bought mine for like $50, the retail price (without having one of those plan discount things) was around $200.

An iPhone for $600!? I’m not a phone junkie, but that is ridiculous.[/quote]

There are many different models. Check this one out.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-A855-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B003DQD5CS

The retail price on those phones can run well over $500. You must have gotten an older model or just found a very good deal, but I know about 6mo’s ago buying the Droid2 retail would have cost you around $600 if you didn’t have an upgrade available on your plan thru verizon.

Considering how much better phones have gotten in the last few years I would say it’s still a pretty good deal even at those prices.

Really? Damn.

I just did a search on Verizon Wireless and their highest priced Droid was $299. The guy he stole the phone from must of had some ‘Pimp my Cell Phone’ version of the Droid. :smiley:

[quote=“noobd, post:10, topic:2545”]Really? Damn.

I just did a search on Verizon Wireless and their highest priced Droid was $299. The guy he stole the phone from must of had some ‘Pimp my Cell Phone’ version of the Droid. :D[/quote]

I believe you get a discount when you buy the phone through a provider in conjunction with a phone plan. If you were to buy the phone without a plan it would probably be that expensive.

I just did a search on Verizon Wireless and their highest priced Droid was $299. The guy he stole the phone from must of had some ‘Pimp my Cell Phone’ version of the Droid. :D[/quote]

It’s like others have said, when you pay the Verizon/AT&T price that is the price they are selling the phone to you. They have to pay Motorola or Apple $500 dollars for the phone. They make up the extra money on the subscription price.

That’s because when you buy a phone through a phone company you are signing up for typically a two year contract. Without the contract (unlocked) phones are usually $600.

Unlocked iPhone 4s are listed at $649 and $749.

Also, when the guy that he stole the iPhone from went to replace it, he would have to pay the full retail price (assuming he wasn’t covered by insurance). Clearly the value of that phone would be at least $600.

Really? Damn.

I just did a search on Verizon Wireless and their highest priced Droid was $299. The guy he stole the phone from must of had some ‘Pimp my Cell Phone’ version of the Droid. :smiley:

That’s because when you buy a phone through a phone company you are signing up for typically a two year contract. Without the contract (unlocked) phones are usually $600.

Unlocked iPhone 4s are listed starting at $649.

When the guy that he stole the iPhone from went to replace it, he would have to pay the full retail price (assuming he wasn’t covered by insurance).

You mean “…the guy he was accused of stealing the iPhone from…”

Looks bad, of course, but innocent until proven guilty, people!

[quote="noobd, post:10, topic:2545"]Really? Damn.

Unlocked iPhone 4s are listed starting at $649.

When the guy that he stole the iPhone from went to replace it, he would have to pay the full retail price (assuming he wasn’t covered by insurance).

You mean “…the guy he was accused of stealing the iPhone from…”

Looks bad, of course, but innocent until proven guilty, people!

I’ll give you innocent until proven guilty if you give me 3 strikes and you’re out. You could set your watch to this kid getting in trouble. Benefit of the doubt ran out many months ago.

Picked up by the wire (AP).

Sorry, but this made me laugh

“A phone listing for him could not be immediately located”

I’m just disappointed to hear this

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2011-07-12-2874142163_x.htm]Picked up by the wire (AP).[/url]

Sorry, but this made me laugh

“A phone listing for him could not be immediately located”

+1

;D :smiley:

A friend had a laptop stolen, and the police went with the replacement costs including software.