PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Taran back in the news

CDT

I’m not going to be judgmental because I sure made my share of mistakes when I was in school but you’d think he’d lay low for a while after his first incident.

I’m glad the article makes the prior incident out to be a fight between Taran and a football player - which it wasn’t. :-\

The benefit of the doubt is officially gone with this one. First the rumors swirling around, now two altercations with the police in less than a month?

We’ve got a problem with this kid, and now Ed is really in up to his neck. You have to suspend him over this don’t you?

[quote=“byake, post:1, topic:1295”]CDT

I’m not going to be judgmental because I sure made my share of mistakes when I was in school but you’d think he’d lay low for a while after his first incident.[/quote]

Hard to argue with that logic.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1295”]The benefit of the doubt is officially gone with this one. First the rumors swirling around, now two altercations with the police in less than a month?

We’ve got a problem with this kid, and now Ed is really in up to his neck. You have to suspend him over this don’t you?[/quote]

I had no problem with the fight. Ever go to a game at a city basketball court in the summer? Fights every game. That’s what makes them tough. The team has enough soft. This appears worse. Good family. Hope they work this out. Suspend? For when, how? This summer?

Ed up to his neck over this? I’d say he’s been in over his head well before this. I hope he’s concentrating on the front line contributing some next season. I didn’t see it at the time, but the streaming news at the top from djones Jan 16 entry nails the issues with this team. Kinda harsh, but dead on.

I think we have a serious problem on our hands. Ed runs too tight of a ship to let this slide.

As Astro would say “Ruh-Roh Reorge !!”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_(The_Jetsons)

[quote="byake, post:1, topic:1295"][url=http://www.centredaily.com/2010/08/11/2146714/psu-basketball-recruit-cited-for.html]CDT[/url]

I’m not going to be judgmental because I sure made my share of mistakes when I was in school but you’d think he’d lay low for a while after his first incident.[/quote]

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1295”]The benefit of the doubt is officially gone with this one. First the rumors swirling around, now two altercations with the police in less than a month?

We’ve got a problem with this kid, and now Ed is really in up to his neck. You have to suspend him over this don’t you?[/quote]

I had no problem with the fight. Ever go to a game at a city basketball court in the summer? Fights every game. That’s what makes them tough. The team has enough soft. This appears worse. Good family. Hope they work this out. Suspend? For when, how? This summer?

Ed up to his neck over this? I’d say he’s been in over his head well before this. I hope he’s concentrating on the front line contributing some next season. I didn’t see it at the time, but the streaming news at the top from djones Jan 16 entry nails the issues with this team. Kinda harsh, but dead on.

The “fight” wasn’t even a fight. Drake and Buie were fooling around slap boxing not fighting. The cops saw it from a distance and thought that they were actually fighting. Unfortunately, when the cops intervened, Buie and Drake weren’t exactly humble and they wound up getting cited.

Over the years, I’ve seen anyone from name football players to members of the PSU swim team pull the ‘do you know who I am’ routing with town or campus cops, always with the same results. I’m worried that this is moving from coincidence to trend.

Black Shoes Diary chips in:

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/

To bad Talor isn’t here for 4 more years. I’m afraid there is a good chance he jumps ship after this season (i’m assuming we won’t be very good and Ed will be toast)

He’s making some bad decisions. Not horrible, but bad.

He’s a kid, they do that sometimes. Doesn’t mean that he needs to be shown the door, but he may need to be shown the bench or some windsprints. I do think that someone needs to get through to this kid before these things escalate.

[quote="byake, post:1, topic:1295"][url=http://www.centredaily.com/2010/08/11/2146714/psu-basketball-recruit-cited-for.html]CDT[/url]

This is a really dumb post. Are you serious, Kid? Are you reall comparing a fight at a basketball game to an alcohol induced fight over a girl in downtown State College in the early hours of the morning?

I guess if you want the team to be tougher, Kid-style, all you need are a few botles of Jack before each game. ::slight_smile:

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:1295”]Black Shoes Diary chips in:

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/[/quote]

I read that, and IMO, kind of BS. But I’m glad for those who can pat themselves on the back for being skeptical. Regarding this season, I’d be more concerned with returning players showing up. Besides, don’t most posters think you can’t rely on freshmen anyway? He’ll show up day 1 with an intense in your face game. Wish that could be said for most returning players. I don’t like that this happened. Let’s just hope it doesn’t continue.

This is a really dumb post. Are you serious, Kid? Are you reall comparing a fight at a basketball game to an alcohol induced fight over a girl in downtown State College in the early hours of the morning?

I guess if you want the team to be tougher, Kid-style, all you need are a few botles of Jack before each game. ::slight_smile:

How can anyone be surprised at this point… all kid does is post foolishness, and then has the nerve to question the credibility of everyone else because they don’t watch New York high school basketball like he does.

I don’t know the whole story, but what’s early hours of the morning, 1 am? Look, this isn’t great, but it happens. How many college students on this board drank before age 21 when that was the legal age? I know my kids did. Don’t assume it’s alcohol induced fighting. Any better reason to fight than over a girl? Like what? I do have issues with the BSD post regarding he should know better, yada yada. He’s a kid and made mistakes. Enough preaching. Is it concerning? Yes. But they’re going to be skeptical on him? Jeez. I’m skeptical that returning players who haven’t shown up for 3 years will show up this year. On Taran, just better get his schoolwork done.

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:1295"]Black Shoes Diary chips in:

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/[/quote]

I read that, and IMO, kind of BS. But I’m glad for those who can pat themselves on the back for being skeptical. Regarding this season, I’d be more concerned with returning players showing up. Besides, don’t most posters think you can’t rely on freshmen anyway? He’ll show up day 1 with an intense in your face game. Wish that could be said for most returning players. I don’t like that this happened. Let’s just hope it doesn’t continue.

Haven’t read the article yet, but your last line is the problem entirely. Since this kid has shown up in centre county all he’s done is found trouble. Two run in’s with the cops, half a dozen different rumors floating around about his year at State High - from basketball to academics to co-eds… I was all for keeping that kind of junk off here while they were just rumors, but the time has come to accept that where there’s smoke, there’s probably fire.

And isn’t underage drinking almost always a suspension of some sort at Penn State programs? I think it seems pretty fitting, and as a head coach are you just supposed to ignore that it’s his second police issue in a month? I don’t think that’s right.

Bingo. I consider him gone after this season - Crispin brothers part deux. Hopefully I am wrong, but also hopefully Curley learned something last time this happened - Don’t give your coach a big extension when some of your most promising players are leaving the program.

[quote="battlesway2, post:10, topic:1295"]To bad Talor isn't here for 4 more years. I'm afraid there is a good chance he jumps ship after this season (i'm assuming we won't be very good and Ed will be toast)[/quote] Bingo. I consider him gone after this season - Crispin brothers part deux. Hopefully I am wrong, but also hopefully Curley learned something last time this happened - [b]Don't give your coach a big extension when some of your most promising players are leaving the program[/b].

Revisionist history. You can’t seriously suggest that Curley was in the wrong resigning a coach who just took a team to their highest NCAA finish in almost half a century.

[quote="battlesway2, post:10, topic:1295"]To bad Talor isn't here for 4 more years. I'm afraid there is a good chance he jumps ship after this season (i'm assuming we won't be very good and Ed will be toast)[/quote] Bingo. I consider him gone after this season - Crispin brothers part deux. Hopefully I am wrong, but also hopefully Curley learned something last time this happened - Don't give your coach a big extension when some of your most promising players are leaving the program.

That’s how college coaching contracts work, how are you supposed to convince any recruit to come play for you if you don’t have a contract that will even get you past their sophomore year with the school? Makes no sense.

You can take shots at Curley and Ed on a lot of things, but the contract extension is your angle here? No. That one makes no sense.

How many coaches have ever just had their contract run out? I don’t even know if it happens at the DI level anymore. You always have a few years out on your contract, and then you either get fired and bought-out or you resign from it.