PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Talor Battle's PSU teammates finally trustworthy

David Jones Article: http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/talor_battles_penn_state_teamm.html

I like the fact that djones starts out his article as such…

Nothing is better than talking to Talor Battle after he's won. I suppose it'd be more journalistically proper if I was impartial. But I'm not. I like to see Penn State's little engine succeed.

It shows that the writer has a human side and not just “punching keys on a typewriter”. And while he gets bashed over and over again on the football side for telling people what they don’t like to hear, this is why I like his coverage on the hoops side. He cares, yet he doesn’t wear the blue goggles, nor should he.

As for Battle, and I know others have touched upon this in recent threads, he certainly needs to be applauded and appreciated over these last few months of his college career. He could have chosen a bunch of other “assembly line” schools cranking out the W’s and the NCAA tourney runs. But he chose to stay with people who stayed with him and to try and build something new.

As it hopefully will turn out, he will be rewarded for his patience, his passion and his drive. I just hope the students realize what they have in their midst, before it is all over.

Great article David. I enjoyed reading that.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:2, topic:1772”]I like the fact that djones starts out his article as such…

It shows that the writer has a human side and not just “punching keys on a typewriter”. And while he gets bashed over and over again on the football side for telling people what they don’t like to hear, this is why I like his coverage on the hoops side. He cares, yet he doesn’t wear the blue goggles, nor should he.

As for Battle, and I know others have touched upon this in recent threads, he certainly needs to be applauded and appreciated over these last few months of his college career. He could have chosen a bunch of other “assembly line” schools cranking out the W’s and the NCAA tourney runs. But he chose to stay with people who stayed with him and to try and build something new.

As it hopefully will turn out, he will be rewarded for his patience, his passion and his drive. I just hope the students realize what they have in their midst, before it is all over.[/quote]

I just wish his brother would learn a little something from him. :-\

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:2, topic:1772”]I like the fact that djones starts out his article as such…

As it hopefully will turn out, he will be rewarded for his patience, his passion and his drive. I just hope the students realize what they have in their midst, before it is all over.[/quote]
Talor is a special kid. He has avoided any problems and difficulties and challenges that other brothers have failed at, or at the very least appeared to trip over. I remember reading an article a couple of years back that told about when Talor was much younger, his family was essentially homeless, living out of the car and in need of the next meal when another homeless man looked to the family for some of their food, a commodity that the family had little of. He insisted that his mom to share with the man some of their much needed food. To think that Dakich and Morris want to type cast him as selfish and not wanting to share a basketball, kind of sucks.

Whenever Talor shoots the ball I expect it to go in the basket. I’m actually surprised when he doesn’t make it. That’s how good he is. If it wasn’t for him who knows where we’d be. Huge props to Ed and the staff for getting this kid here. They saw something in him that apparently other programs didn’t.

The broken ankle in the summer of '05 had some lose interest. There was still UMass and Siena, the latter being local. UMass had some success locally with Rayshaun Freeman from Schenectady and Tiki Mayben from Troy, so they knew the area, as did GTech’s Paul Hewitt, former coach of Siena, but largely, the area was not recruited too much. Hewitt offered late, after Talor verballed, when Javaris Crittenden told him he was going to be one and done. Talor stayed with Ed. Talor kind of changed the local recruiting, as did Taran, by that team making the state finals twice, and winning in '08. It’s incredible how many coaches are there for the states and the Federation games. Tons of people wearing school badges. Mostly Big East, A10, MAAC, Patriot League, Ivys too. Until the states, I think most coaches stay around NYC(at least in NYS) and go to AAU in the summer. Their skeds don’t allow mid season travel too much, and Talor missed most of the AAU season, then verballed in Feb or so. The two leading DI scorers in the country, Jimmer Fredette and Kemba Walker played at Glens Falls in '07, as did Kevin Jones, Durand Scott, Brandon Triche and Lance Stephenson, oh, and Talor and Taran. BTW, 3 Maginn teammates played college ball off their team, all because of their performance in the states. So, if you get there and play well, you get noticed. If you don’t get there, and you’re from a little school in Albany, nobody knows who you are.

Lions gain new attitude on hardwood by Jeff Rice

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/01/14/2453904/lions-gain-new-attitude-on-hardwood.html

Lions ready for OSU By Emily Kaplan Collegian Staff Writer

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2011/01/14/mens_basketball_preview_vs_ohio_state.aspx