PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Talor Battle to Turkey?

Looks like the Turkish team in Mersin is close to signing Battle.

“Still another Turkish group, the Mersin, is very close to signing another guard from the NCAA, former guard for Penn State, Talor Battle”.

Translated from Only2Steps blog.

Must be a Skynyrd fan.

Or not…Skynard demanded three steps.

I was wondering if anyone knew how comparable a salary Talor can get playing overseas to the rookie salary in the NBA. What kinds of wages can these guys expect to have in their careers?

It all depends. If you sign with a team in the Euroleague (not likely, although David Lighty just signed a Euroleague contract), you can get wages equal to or better than the NBA (only the NBA has mega contracts but most Euroleague players will make at least $1M a year - not the rookies though). As you bump down leagues, you can quickly find one where you will be lucky to get paid period.

[quote="bballguy, post:4, topic:2547"]I was wondering if anyone knew how comparable a salary Talor can get playing overseas to the rookie salary in the NBA. What kinds of wages can these guys expect to have in their careers?[/quote]

It all depends. If you sign with a team in the Euroleague (not likely, although David Lighty just signed a Euroleague contract), you can get wages equal to or better than the NBA (only the NBA has mega contracts but most Euroleague players will make at least $1M a year - not the rookies though). As you bump down leagues, you can quickly find one where you will be lucky to get paid period.

Note: If Battle signs with Mersin, he will be playing in a pretty good league but it’s a level below the Euroleague.

There are 16 teams in the Turkish basketball league. Mersin finished in a three way tie for 11th. Two teams in the Turkish League have qualified to play in the Euroleague this season and two more are among 16 teams in a current tournament to determine the final two teams in the 24 team Euroleague next season. Mersin is not one of those four.

Interesting stuff. Thanks so much for the info. Lar. It seems like he’ll be getting a pretty nice paycheck even without being in the top league.

European salaries are “strange” too in the sense that you never know what other perks they get…housing, meals, transportation, or if their listed salaries are pre- or post-tax.

[quote="bballguy, post:4, topic:2547"]I was wondering if anyone knew how comparable a salary Talor can get playing overseas to the rookie salary in the NBA. What kinds of wages can these guys expect to have in their careers?[/quote]

Note: If Battle signs with Mersin, he will be playing in a pretty good league but it’s a level below the Euroleague.

There are 16 teams in the Turkish basketball league. Mersin finished in a three way tie for 11th. Two teams in the Turkish League have qualified to play in the Euroleague this season and two more are among 16 teams in a current tournament to determine the final two teams in the 24 team Euroleague next season. Mersin is not one of those four.

I believe it was either Crispin or Lisicky who made comments about Euro salaries. He eluded to the fact that you can sign a contract, but “good luck getting the money”.

I believe it was either Crispin or Lisicky who made comments about Euro salaries. He eluded to the fact that you can sign a contract, but “good luck getting the money”.

It really depends. You can’t make a generalization like that. If you sign with a Euroleague team you shouldn’t have any problems but we’re literally talking about hundreds of teams. With some of them you’ll have a problem, with some you won’t.

It really depends. You can’t make a generalization like that. If you sign with a Euroleague team you shouldn’t have any problems but we’re literally talking about hundreds of teams. With some of them you’ll have a problem, with some you won’t.

I didn’t, Lar. They did. I defer to their knowledge since they played there.

He could do that because he was eluding the facts. Not alluding to them. :wink:

Go find the quote. I’m sure what you will find was not a generalization like you made. I’m sure whoever made the quote was very specific in saying that it was not a characteristic of all European teams.

Different Turkish club

It’s a pattern with this club, according to Turkish basketball journalist Mete Aktas.

“Besiktas’ basketball branch always had problems when it comes to payments to players,” Aktas said. “I can’t remember a single season for the past 3-4 years that the players’ wages are paid on time and fully. There were several occasions last season and in 2009-10 where some of the players skipped practices and boycotted the team management. In the summer of 2010, the management prohibited three players who were under contract at the time to enter training facilities. Why? Because they had submitted an official protest note to the club to pay them their delayed payments. And currently Besiktas is trying to waive three players who are currently under contract for the 2011-12 season. Since the players don’t want to be waived, the management is trying to indimidate and daunt them by forcing the players to train three times a day… during the summer!”

http://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=22&sub=101090647

Another article:

"Playing in Europe during the lockout might sound like a good way to stay in shape and get some money. A lot of times, though, playing in Europe doesn’t pay - literally.

Horror stories about about teams not honoring contracts and players leaving clubs without the compensation that it was once agreed to are very common.

Oddly enough, Besiktas, the team that signed Allen Iverson last season and has now committed to give All-Star guard Deron Williams $5 million for a year in the event of a long lockout, is also one of the big-name European clubs with worse backgrounds in these matters."

Read more: http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2011/07/12/deron-williams-turkish-team-has-checkered-past/#ixzz1S13QFb1m
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2011/07/12/deron-williams-turkish-team-has-checkered-past/

You hear a lot of stories, sure… but that’s a bit misleading to say it that way. You are never going to hear a news story when a player does get paid, and the vast majority of guys playing Europe are getting paid… or else, why would they stay there?

Like lar said, let’s not just throw all of Europe under the bus together. The better leagues have more professional teams with my professional operations. Similarly here in the US you could probably find some crappy fallout “pro” sports leagues that struggle paying players also. It’s not like you should be thinking “European basketball is so shady”. There are just some bad apples in a large group of teams that all get bunched together. There are many more success stories from overseas players than failures.

Yes, some people do not get paid. A lot of it has to do with the teams finances (obviously) and the performance of the player. They probably don’t have guaranteed contracts, so if you suck you don’t get paid.

It’s a pretty good offer in a decent league, we’ll just have to see what else he is offered and where the best situation for him is. He won’t go somewhere that isn’t right, he is too bright for that.

[quote="Skeeza, post:9, topic:2547"]I believe it was either Crispin or Lisicky who made comments about Euro salaries. He eluded to the fact that you can sign a contract, but "good luck getting the money".[/quote]

Go find the quote. I’m sure what you will find was not a generalization like you made. I’m sure whoever made the quote was very specific in saying that it was not a characteristic of all European teams.

How about this, Lar…

...Overseas it is [i][b]typical[/b][/i] to have payments made late and at times, not at all...

Is that the meaning of the word ‘generalize’? I think it is.

It’s from a very unreliable source, Erin Crispin, Joe Crispin’s wife. :-*
Understanding the Basket Life: The Contract

[quote="Skeeza, post:9, topic:2547"]I believe it was either Crispin or Lisicky who made comments about Euro salaries. He eluded to the fact that you can sign a contract, but "good luck getting the money".[/quote]

How about this, Lar…

...Overseas it is [i][b]typical[/b][/i] to have payments made late and at times, not at all...

If she said it’s typical to not get paid, then I would agree with you, but she didn’t.

When you say “Good luck getting the money”, it implies that you think it’s likely that the person won’t get the money at all.

Had you said “Good luck getting the money on time”, then, yes, Erin’s comment would have supported your point.

In fact, I’d almost go so far as to suggest that her post supports my original comment that “It depends”. As Erin says, “So it is often better to take a lower salary with a club that has a reputation for paying on time and in full, rather than a high salary with a club that has a history of not making full payments.”

Clearly there are clubs that pay in full and on time. No luck is needed in getting your money from them.

How about this, Lar…

If she said it’s typical to not get paid, then I would agree with you, but she didn’t.

When you say “Good luck getting the money”, it implies that you think it’s likely that the person won’t get the money at all.

Had you said “Good luck getting the money on time”, then, yes, Erin’s comment would have supported your point.

In fact, I’d almost go so far as to suggest that her post supports my original comment that “It depends”. As Erin says, “So it is often better to take a lower salary with a club that has a reputation for paying on time and in full, rather than a high salary with a club that has a history of not making full payments.”

Clearly there are clubs that pay in full and on time. No luck is needed in getting your money from them.

Unbelievable. ::slight_smile:

If I remember correctly the entire CBA was not paying players about ten or fifteen years ago.