PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Talor Battle an Honorable Mention in AP All America Team

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14870350/2011-ap-all-america-teams

Jordan Taylor inexplicably ahead of him on the 2nd team. If you were going to pick a guard from a Big Ten team to be on the 1st or 2nd team, I don’t think I would have gone with Taylor.

Considering where this team was a year ago, a remarkable accomplishment for a remarkable player. There are shooters, scorers, rebounders, defenders, and leaders - Talor was all of the foregoing. He’ll make money somewhere next year - either in the NBA or overseas.

I’m happy that Talor got honorable mention, hopefully this will help his NBA draft stock. I haven’t seen him on any mock drafts lately.

???

The NBA talent scouts already know all about him and they could give two hoots about whether he shows up on an AA list or not.

At #49 on NBADraft.net. But from what I’m seeing, he didn’t get invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, which is kind of ridiculous.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

[quote="lynkpsu, post:3, topic:2266"]I'm happy that Talor got honorable mention, hopefully this will help his NBA draft stock. I haven't seen him on any mock drafts lately.[/quote]

At #49 on NBADraft.net. But from what I’m seeing, he didn’t get invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, which is kind of ridiculous.

That’s an interesting list. It’s the highest I’ve seen Talor. There are a bunch of underclassmen who I don’t think are certain to declare. Sullinger for one, and Darius Morris? I suppose all the UK guys are gone, and probably Tobias Harris at TN, but seems like too many frosh and sophs on that list, which should bode well for Talor. It’s all going to come down to speed/agility/shooting at the combine, IMO, and how he does vs. comp. Curry jumped 20 spots due to his performance, from 28th projected, despite him already being well known.

I was unaware of the Portsmouth tourney. Pretty serious stuff. As it’s only for seniors, and 64 of them, it’d be almost impossible for him not to be invited. I see it’s open to the public. Just may go to that on Saturday, 4 games.

http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/info.php

[quote="lynkpsu, post:3, topic:2266"]I'm happy that Talor got honorable mention, hopefully this will help his NBA draft stock. I haven't seen him on any mock drafts lately.[/quote]

I can’t believe Jacob Pullen is ranked so low. He ate Jordan Taylor’s lunch and then stole his girlfriend a year after he did the same thing to Jimmer.

Also can’t believe McCamey is ahead of Battle.

If Battle was McCamey’s size…I’d think Battle would be a lot higher rated than he is now.

I can’t believe Jacob Pullen is ranked so low. He ate Jordan Taylor’s lunch and then stole his girlfriend a year after he did the same thing to Jimmer.

Also can’t believe McCamey is ahead of Battle.

I was thinking the same things. Kemba Walker will also go higher than 18. One of the things about Portsmouth and the combine is that nobody’s going to be double teamed. Talor is going to be a huge beneficiary of that. He seemed to be doubled or at least keyed on for his last 3 years. Plus, like when Cornley was at PSU, he’ll have teammates down low he can go to, besides getting assists it will create space at the arc, and when he penetrates he’ll have shooters he can kick out to. The # 2 trey shooter on BYU had more treys(92) than numbers 2 through 5 on PSU combined(89), with #2 DJ at 40.

Did Pullen really steal both girlfriends? Bet that didn’t go over too well at BYU. :wink:

Congrats to Talor on the achievement. He had a fantastic year.

I was curious to see what the people who do these mock drafts would do with Battle after this season. He certainly improved his shooting (his form looked much different to me which means he must have worked hard in the off season), especially his ability to use screens and get off a quick-release jumper from a pass. However, he did have his most successful season playing primarily off the ball, which I thought might be held against him as he will need to be a PG in the NBA. Based on that one link, it doesn’t look like that is the case.

Jacob Pullen looked like someone’s You Tube video in the Wisconsin game. He seemed to shoot 100 percent from three, and they had Jordan Taylor trying to be all over him. The guy made room for shots that weren’t there, and he drained them.

I usually check that site and I hadn’t seen Talor on it during the season. I’m glad that he’s back on and he’s #49.

Speaking of Talor’s NBA draft stock, just file his willingness to play the 2 as reason #9,000 why Talor’s such a special player.
One of the most important things he needed to show scouts was that he had the ability to consistently and effectively orchestrate an offense. He often wasn’t able to do that by playing off the ball so much (although I think the 08-09 season demonstrated his ability when surrounded by capable teammates) but his main focus was to win - not improve his draft stock.
Knowing what we know about Talor, it’s not suprising, but certainly commendable for a player in his situation.

Also, NBADraft.net is a great site for getting names and information of draftable players out there, but their 2nd-round projections are usually way off. I use the site more for their information rather than their mocks.

[quote=“NICU, post:10, topic:2266”]Congrats to Talor on the achievement. He had a fantastic year.

I was curious to see what the people who do these mock drafts would do with Battle after this season. He certainly improved his shooting (his form looked much different to me which means he must have worked hard in the off season), especially his ability to use screens and get off a quick-release jumper from a pass. However, he did have his most successful season playing primarily off the ball, which I thought might be held against him as he will need to be a PG in the NBA. Based on that one link, it doesn’t look like that is the case.[/quote]

Too easy to double team him at pg as he always had the ball. That’s why Tim got the pg spot, to free up Talor, not to improve the pg position, and of course Talor could play the 2 better than others as well. Tim did a fine job with the ball, but he wasn’t double teamed. In fact, til he started hitting some shots, teams barely covered him at the arc. Talor’s a pg, and will be no matter where he plays. Don’t see it as an issue. When he played limited pg minutes this year, he had success. Maybe didn’t score as much, but that’s why he was at the 2.

Congrats to Talor on the achievement. He had a fantastic year.

I was curious to see what the people who do these mock drafts would do with Battle after this season. He certainly improved his shooting (his form looked much different to me which means he must have worked hard in the off season), especially his ability to use screens and get off a quick-release jumper from a pass. However, he did have his most successful season playing primarily off the ball, which I thought might be held against him as he will need to be a PG in the NBA. Based on that one link, it doesn’t look like that is the case.

Too easy to double team him at pg as he always had the ball. That’s why Tim got the pg spot, to free up Talor, not to improve the pg position, and of course Talor could play the 2 better than others as well. Tim did a fine job with the ball, but he wasn’t double teamed. In fact, til he started hitting some shots, teams barely covered him at the arc. Talor’s a pg, and will be no matter where he plays. Don’t see it as an issue. When he played limited pg minutes this year, he had success. Maybe didn’t score as much, but that’s why he was at the 2.

I tend to think TB moved to the 2 in order to get their best 5 on the floor. It would have been interesting to see the difference had Babb stayed. As it was the best option was TF at 1 and TB at 2.

[quote="NICU, post:10, topic:2266"]Congrats to Talor on the achievement. He had a fantastic year.

I was curious to see what the people who do these mock drafts would do with Battle after this season. He certainly improved his shooting (his form looked much different to me which means he must have worked hard in the off season), especially his ability to use screens and get off a quick-release jumper from a pass. However, he did have his most successful season playing primarily off the ball, which I thought might be held against him as he will need to be a PG in the NBA. Based on that one link, it doesn’t look like that is the case.[/quote]

I tend to think TB moved to the 2 in order to get their best 5 on the floor. It would have been interesting to see the difference had Babb stayed. As it was the best option was TF at 1 and TB at 2.

Maybe, but Talor at pg and Jermaine(or Taran) at the 2 might’ve worked except for one thing. Talor would have been doubled too easily. Tim did fine, and really grew into the position, getting better almost by the game near season’s end. But I think it was to free up Talor that did it. If Talor could play the point better than Tim, and could score more, and Jermaine was a better scorer than Tim, the only reason to play Tim was to get pressure off Talor. This may have been right, as Talor may have scored less, and been worn out by the double teams, if at the point. Look how Fredette broke down vs. Florida, yet he had a teammate who hit 92 treys, so BYU had another potent scoring option. Playing pg in the Big 10 and getting doubled, for a whole season was brutal. Fredette in the tourney looked ragged in the 3rd game. When you always have the ball and you’re the #1 scorer, teams will double you. When it’s major conference players, not so easy to do without breaking down. This is why I think Talor will excel at things like the Portsmouth Invitational. He’ll play pg, and won’t be doubled. When has that last happened? Freshman year? Re Babb, I agree. Last year, I liked the 3G offense for that exact reason. They couldn’t double Talor, and Babb would hit treys. It caused problems for teams. I think the Purdue game was interesting in that way. No doubt getting Talor off the point freed him up and saved his energy, but an easy move back, IMO. It’s his natural position. UConn took Kemba Walker off the point too, in the tourney, for the same reason, to save him. He’ll be a pg in the pros. Too short for the 2.

I also noticed UCONN using Walker primarily off the ball down the stretch. The sets they run for him are great. That Jeremy Lamb is something else, too.