Talking to Chris Babb

On the bus ride back from Temple I had a chance to talk to Chris and he mentioned how he reads messages boards. He didn’t say it bothered him or anything of that nature but I figured it was a good reminder that you never know who is out there reading what we’re saying. For the most part this site isn’t a place of a lot of slander and negative statements, but I figured I’d give us the yearly reminder that these guys aren’t professional athletes and when they aren’t in class they’re looking around the web and sometimes end up here. We’re pretty nice, so I’m not pointing a finger at all…just had a example of somebody who has been here and figured I’d mention it. I imagine I’m going to get slapped around a little for this but I’m not pretending to be a moral compass for what it’s worth.

Just think, what would Mike Walker do?
Mike Walker

Virtually every parent reads this board until they can’t take it any more. And then they virtually all give it up.

And that’s here, where things are pretty much under control.

So that’s why the rule is, 'don’t say anything here that you wouldn’t say to the parent of a player face to face at The Tavern."

So did he like the part about me thinking he has the sweetest stroke since DeRon Hayes. ;D For those young guys he played in the Parkhill era.

I think he is just trying to score to much instead of just letting it happen.

I like what Babb’s been doing lately. He’s playing some of the best man D on the team, getting boards, and not forcing his shot since the Charleston tournament. Now his shot’s starting to fall. Hopefully, this bodes well for the rest of the year.

He is getting a lot of boards. If we were scoring inside more, he’d get better looks. I’d like to see him go to the hoop without the ball, like back dooring it. Such good size, if he did that once or twice, his cover might back off him some, and he might get better spacing for treys. Simple give and go or him picking and rolling might be fun to see also.

[quote="ronb89, post:4, topic:437"]I like what Babb's been doing lately. He's playing some of the best man D on the team, getting boards, and not forcing his shot since the Charleston tournament. Now his shot's starting to fall. Hopefully, this bodes well for the rest of the year.[/quote]

He is getting a lot of boards. If we were scoring inside more, he’d get better looks. I’d like to see him go to the hoop without the ball, like back dooring it. Such good size, if he did that once or twice, his cover might back off him some, and he might get better spacing for treys. Simple give and go or him picking and rolling might be fun to see also.

ED needs to find ways to get him more clean looks too. He hit three 3’s in the first half against Temple. And I don’t remember him taking one in the second half. When the man is hot, get him running off screens or something. Get him open shots.

[quote="ronb89, post:4, topic:437"]I like what Babb's been doing lately. He's playing some of the best man D on the team, getting boards, and not forcing his shot since the Charleston tournament. Now his shot's starting to fall. Hopefully, this bodes well for the rest of the year.[/quote]

ED needs to find ways to get him more clean looks too. He hit three 3’s in the first half against Temple. And I don’t remember him taking one in the second half. When the man is hot, get him running off screens or something. Get him open shots.

He took three shots in the second half and was 0-2 on threes. Edwards was actually the only one making shots in the second half (3-3) and we should have been feeding him more (we actually only made six shots in the half and Edwards had three of them - one each from Battle, Brooks, and Babb made up the other three).

With Babb, it’s about getting into a rhythm. When he’s on, he’ll just keep on shooting and making them, and when he’s struggling with the jump shot, god bless him, he’ll just keep going at it, because a shooters got to shoot. But his game is a little too reliant on the three ball–I’d love to see some drives to the rack and step back jumpers, he’s creative enough off the dribble to make that work and create his own shot rather than just be a spot-up shooter. And defensively, he might be the best on the team, good hustle. What’s been a little frustrating is that he’s not making those jumpers right now, but I have confidence that Babb can nail at least 2 or 3 a game. That’s 6, 9 points right there, on 2 shots. If he’s a third option, or fourth with Edwards stepping up, that’s all we need from Babb.

[quote=“tjb, post:2, topic:437”]Virtually every parent reads this board until they can’t take it any more. And then they virtually all give it up.

And that’s here, where things are pretty much under control.

So that’s why the rule is, 'don’t say anything here that you wouldn’t say to the parent of a player face to face at The Tavern."[/quote]
In the wolrd of Internet Message boards, we’re the “good ship lolipop” and it’s still a difficult thing.

Chris didn’t get off to a very good start, that’s for sure. But like all our guys, it’s not a matter of effort or heart. I think it’s going to take some time for each player to figure out what works. Of course, that’s what coaching’s for :wink:

Couple of things. The last couple of posters are right on. Babb appears much more fit this year. Lighter, but stronger. He is moving/running faster. He is really hustling on defense.
With his shooting (as with most/all shooters) it’s about rhythm. He seems much more of a “catch and shoot” shooter than off the dribble. Sometimes he has rushed and forced shots BUT he seems to be maturing. With patience good things will happen. If the shots are “not there” I would like Babb not to force but continue to work hard at other aspects of the game.

The other thing about Chris is he’s 6’5". This is quite big for a college guard. I wouldn’t mind seeing a little Oscar Robertson from him. For those not old enough, Oscar used to back in towards the basket, and do turnaround jumpers. It was kind of unstoppable.

Probably most famous pic of him is below, from his college days, though not shooting. I wonder if it’s a foul if you kick somebody in the face while doing this.

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/awards/robertson/action_oscar_ncaa.jpg

I think you’d have to be a little crazy to go reading message boards if you were a player or a parent or relative of a player… if you know ANYTHING about the internet, it should be that its a place to be fairly anonymous and get to say things you normally wouldn’t say in public… that means it’s pretty much open season for any and all people, but especially athletes and celebrities.

I’m not saying it’s right, or that we shouldn’t continue trying to do better than that here - just that it’s going to happen somewhere, and I would not recommend searching out the internet if you’re a player or relative of one. Only bad can come from it in 99 percent of cases.