Talent Revisited: PSU vs. B10 in Recruiting

Even though we all know how accurate / useless (opinions may vary) recruiting rankings are, I though it would be interesting to compare the Scout.com recruiting ratings of the 8 players with the most minutes this season on each B10 team to see where PSU shakes out. For your viewing pleasure:
[table]
[tr][td]Team[/td][td]5*[/td][td]4*[/td][td]3*[/td][td]2*[/td][td]1*[/td][td]Avg.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]MSU[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]4.25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wisconsin[/td][td]0[/td][td]5[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Indiana[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Purdue[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.38[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ohio State[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]2[/td][td]3.25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Minnesota[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Illinois[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]3.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Penn State[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Iowa[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]0[/td][td]2.75[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Michigan[/td][td]0[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]2.63[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Northwestern*[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]2.29[/td][/tr]
[/table]
(*Ivan Peljusic wasn’t rated)

Initial observations:

[ul][li]It’s pretty obvious why MSU is so good.[/li]
[li]The notion that Wisconsin doesn’t recruit well and gets “system kids” that no one else wants doesn’t really hold water.[/li]
[li]Ohio State’s numbers are surprising given Thad Matta’s reputation, but he’s actually a pretty up-and-down recruiter–his headline years are interspersed with some pretty run-of-the-mill classes.[/li]
[li]Michigan’s numbers are surprising given their reputation, but their recruiting was getting pretty spotty by the middle part of the decade before Amaker was shown the door.[/li]
[li]Penn State’s numbers are actually better than I thought they’d be relative to the rest of the B10.[/li][/ul]

What about recruiting trends during ED’s tenure? I can’t make a direct comparison to the JD era because I can’t find Scout archive data before 2002, but for comparison PSU’s 2005 team had 1 3-star player (Travis Parker), 6 2-star players, and unrated Aaron Johnson as the top 8 minutes guys for an average of 2.14.

I’m not bringing this up to start any arguments for or against ED–just trying to understand where PSU’s talent level (at least by Scout’s estimation) stands with regard to the bigger picture. Enjoy!

[quote=“BobK, post:1, topic:805”]Even though we all know how accurate / useless (opinions may vary) recruiting rankings are, I though it would be interesting to compare the Scout.com recruiting ratings of the 8 players with the most minutes this season on each B10 team to see where PSU shakes out. For your viewing pleasure:
[table]
[tr][td]Team[/td][td]5*[/td][td]4*[/td][td]3*[/td][td]2*[/td][td]1*[/td][td]Avg.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]MSU[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]4.25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wisconsin[/td][td]0[/td][td]5[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Indiana[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Purdue[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.38[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ohio State[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]2[/td][td]3.25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Minnesota[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Illinois[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]3.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Penn State[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Iowa[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]0[/td][td]2.75[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Michigan[/td][td]0[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]2.63[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Northwestern*[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]2.29[/td][/tr]
[/table]
(*Ivan Peljusic wasn’t rated)

Initial observations:

[ul][li]It’s pretty obvious why MSU is so good.[/li]
[li]The notion that Wisconsin doesn’t recruit well and gets “system kids” that no one else wants doesn’t really hold water.[/li]
[li]Ohio State’s numbers are surprising given Thad Matta’s reputation, but he’s actually a pretty up-and-down recruiter–his headline years are interspersed with some pretty run-of-the-mill classes.[/li]
[li]Michigan’s numbers are surprising given their reputation, but their recruiting was getting pretty spotty by the middle part of the decade before Amaker was shown the door.[/li]
[li]Penn State’s numbers are actually better than I thought they’d be relative to the rest of the B10.[/li][/ul]

What about recruiting trends during ED’s tenure? I can’t make a direct comparison to the JD era because I can’t find Scout archive data before 2002, but for comparison PSU’s 2005 team had 1 3-star player (Travis Parker), 6 2-star players, and unrated Aaron Johnson as the top 8 minutes guys for an average of 2.14.

I’m not bringing this up to start any arguments for or against ED–just trying to understand where PSU’s talent level (at least by Scout’s estimation) stands with regard to the bigger picture. Enjoy![/quote]

Interesting analysis and the talent stars correlate with program strength in the big ten. I would say that UM, PSU, Iowa and NW are the weakest 4 programs in the conference. Beilein is trying to change that, but outside of Sims/Harris, his team is pretty weak this year.

I’m watching the IL v. MSU game, and it’s no secret of the talent on MSU. Lucas out, 17.4 left and MSU down by one, but Green, Allen, Roe, Summers, etc. are just murder. Green is a monster. He just tapped in a missed 3, which came off the rim hard. Beautiful play.

The Illini win by 5. These teams just have more weapons. It’s really the frontcourt. If we look to next year, adding Buie, we’re going to have a terrific corps of guards, almost too many with at least 4. Marshall might be the 5th guard, and Edwards at the 3 should be fine along with DJ, but those other spots are a real question mark. I just hope Ed does something, like big man camp, to help out. While I understand PSU can’t pay, the kids can earn money working at one of Ed’s camps, and use that. Maybe someone leaves, and we get a juco.

Watching MSU, it is easy to see how important good PG play is in college basketball.