PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

T&G's 20 Most Memorable Moments in Penn State Sports History

Town and Gown released moments 15-11 this weekend with a few hoop stories taking center stage.

1. Women’s team makes it to the 2000 Final Four

2. Men’s teams Sweet Sixteen run in the Big Dance

3. Cinderella crashes 1954 Final Four

These are on top of a couple of other stories that previously were covered in moments 20-16

1. 2009 NIT basketball championship

2. 1993 men’s basketball team loses to top-ranked Indiana thanks to controversial call

Unfortunately, I can’t think of any other hoops stories that might break into the top ten.

Same year as the sweet 16 run, beating Kentucky in Rup. I like how the NIT chapionship is no. 20, that seems fitting for an NIT championship.

It was a nice win, but I don’t see how it qualifies as a top 10 moment in Penn State sports history. The win over UCLA in the NCAA tournament in 1991 was bigger (since it happened at a much more meaningful time in the season) but I don’t even see that making it (only because the Final Four team has already made the list and I wouldn’t put the UCLA win ahead of that - although it is certainly possible).

I’m guessing 8 or 9 of the top 10 will be football-related. You have 2 national championships, a Heisman Trophy, 3 other undefeated seasons, the 1959 Liberty Bowl, Paterno’s record-breaking win (the first time), and I’m sure a few others. Hard to see any of the basketball events getting ranked higher than any of those football events.

Mike Reid leading the PSU wrestling team to a victory over Lehigh in Rec Hall in 1967 (that and the PSU/Ind hoops game are the two biggest moments in Rec Hall history and the wrestling match outcome was certainly better).
The wrestling team’s NCAA crown last year deserves a spot too.
I’d also add the men’s VB crown in 1994 (the first time a team east of California won it) although a case could be made for 2004 when the men’s win meant we had both men’s and women’s crowns at the same time.
While it’s an off the field event, Terry Pegula’s $88M gift probably belongs on the list.
Football can have the other six, although I would personally include the 1965 NCAA men’s gymnastics championship.

PS. I haven’t a clue why you put the 1959 Liberty Bowl in there. It hasn’t a chance of making it. Perhaps you have it confused with the 1947 Cotton Bowl which will be on the list.

You can make a rationalist case for the 59 bowl, I think. Fitzpatrick’s book does this fairly concisely. It put us back on the national map.

That’s an unbelievably well-done story. I’ll never forget the “pinch myself” feeling of that second half. Is this really happening?

#19, the Ladies VBall team completing the undefeated season.

The match for the championship against Texas was one of the most dramatic sporting events I had ever witnessed. National Championship, winning streak, undefeated season, all on the line for one match. Against the ropes, they came out slugging. unbelievable.

Should be higher.

[quote="ronb89, post:4, topic:2706"]I'm guessing 8 or 9 of the top 10 will be football-related. You have 2 national championships, a Heisman Trophy, 3 other undefeated seasons, the 1959 Liberty Bowl, Paterno's record-breaking win (the first time), and I'm sure a few others. Hard to see any of the basketball events getting ranked higher than any of those football events.[/quote]

Mike Reid leading the PSU wrestling team to a victory over Lehigh in Rec Hall in 1967 (that and the PSU/Ind hoops game are the two biggest moments in Rec Hall history and the wrestling match outcome was certainly better).
The wrestling team’s NCAA crown last year deserves a spot too.
I’d also add the men’s VB crown in 1994 (the first time a team east of California won it) although a case could be made for 2004 when the men’s win meant we had both men’s and women’s crowns at the same time.
While it’s an off the field event, Terry Pegula’s $88M gift probably belongs on the list.
Football can have the other six, although I would personally include the 1965 NCAA men’s gymnastics championship.

PS. I haven’t a clue why you put the 1959 Liberty Bowl in there. It hasn’t a chance of making it. Perhaps you have it confused with the 1947 Cotton Bowl which will be on the list.

I wasn’t around for that, but my father was there for that game. The way he talked about it, I thought it was a pretty big deal.

[quote="UncleLar, post:3, topic:2706"][url=http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/03/penn_states_1991_ncaa_upset_of.html]The win over UCLA in the NCAA tournament in 1991 was bigger[/url][/quote]

That’s an unbelievably well-done story. I’ll never forget the “pinch myself” feeling of that second half. Is this really happening?

I was a student during that season. I couldn’t take one of the buses up to the Carrier dome and had to watch it from my apartment. Some of my buddies who lived downtown went out into college ave after the game, screaming “we won” and everyone looked at them like they were nuts. Couldn’t have been 10% of the student population who even knew we were even playing…

I still have the game on VHS tape… of course, I only have from about where Jennings dunked becuase my room-mate insisted on recoring “Santa Barbara” while we watched the game so he wouldn’t miss anything. :o

[quote="UncleLar, post:3, topic:2706"][url=http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/03/penn_states_1991_ncaa_upset_of.html]The win over UCLA in the NCAA tournament in 1991 was bigger[/url][/quote]

Not to change the subject… :stuck_out_tongue:

There was a conversation from a game last year. One of the players (Brooks?) was benched for a long time after picking up early fouls. There was debate back and forth (by debate, I mean that people were using this as evidence of how Awful a coach DChellis was) on whether or not the player should have been benched.

It’s strange to read about Barnes being benched in perhaps the biggest win in Penn State basketball history.

There was a conversation from a game last year. One of the players (Brooks?) was benched for a long time after picking up early fouls. There was debate back and forth (by debate, I mean that people were using this as evidence of how Awful a coach DChellis was) on whether or not the player should have been benched.

It’s strange to read about Barnes being benched in perhaps the biggest win in Penn State basketball history.

I think it was noted that ED learned his “2 first half fouls and sit 'em” idea from Bruce Parkhill, so that isn’t totally surprising, but it was a HUGE game.

;D Nearly everyone sits with 2 fouls in the 1st half. It’s a choice a coach makes, and there’s no wrong decision…only in hindsight.

I think it was noted that ED learned his “2 first half fouls and sit 'em” idea from Bruce Parkhill, so that isn’t totally surprising, but it was a HUGE game.

Except in the UCLA game, Bruce put Barnes back in the game in the first half with two fouls and he quickly picked up a third. Then he started the second half and quickly picked up his fourth, which necessitated his sitting on the bench for the next 15 minutes. Examples like that are the reason that coaches sit guys with two fouls in the first half.

Except in the UCLA game, Bruce put Barnes back in the game in the first half with two fouls and he quickly picked up a third. Then he started the second half and quickly picked up his fourth, which necessitated his sitting on the bench for the next 15 minutes. Examples like that are the reason that coaches sit guys with two fouls in the first half.

Part of which made that game even more amazing… Freddy was such a leader on that team (what PG isn’t, right??) How they stayed even, and then pulled ahead with Money and Q-tip up top most of the game was just unbelievable.