PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Survey for a Sports Media class

Don’t mean to clutter up the board (I’ll delete the topic if I can in two days or so) but I need some intelligent :wink: people to take this quick survey for my sports media class. It’s three questions long and I’d really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JMZ6CWX

Thanks guys.

No curling? I am disppoint. :’(

51+ !!! It’s like at some point we just fall off the edge!

I picked two sports but the real answer was “would read with the TV off if those were the choices.”

After you’re done, care to share the results and the conclusion you’re trying to reach with this?

I’m also curious why you picked those 5 sports…

Thanks!

Haha sorry tjb. Age isn’t that relevant in the study (which, as you can tell, is not super scientific), I just like to see who’s taking the survey.

It’s closed now. TJB, feel free to delete this thread.

My group is doing a study of lesser known sports and we predicted that the two sports perceived as more “masculine” (lacrosse and rugby) would be more popular, even though the amount of media coverage these sports receive is pretty much uniformly minimal. Here were the results (55 respondents, 2 choices each):

Rugby 52.7% 29
Lacrosse 72.7% 40
Gymnastics 34.5% 19
Swimming 27.3% 15
Figure Skating 12.7% 7

The vast majority of the people who took this survey were men (92.7%).

Thanks for sharing! That’s an intersting result.

Of course, Lacrosse and Rugby are also the 2 team sports on the list, which might also have an effect on the results. I tend to shy away from sports that are “judged” so gymnastics and figureskating were easily at the bottom of my list… I almost picked swimming over rugby

If you’re looking for gender trends, that would be something interesting to study… team sports vs individual events, and “score” sports and “judged” sports.

Of course, you’re biggest flaw is asking THIS group. Talked about a skewed group of individuals!! :wink:

[quote=“MarkH, post:7, topic:2888”]Thanks for sharing! That’s an intersting result.

Of course, Lacrosse and Rugby are also the 2 team sports on the list, which might also have an effect on the results. I tend to shy away from sports that are “judged” so gymnastics and figureskating were easily at the bottom of my list… I almost picked swimming over rugby

If you’re looking for gender trends, that would be something interesting to study… team sports vs individual events, and “score” sports and “judged” sports.

Of course, you’re biggest flaw is asking THIS group. Talked about a skewed group of individuals!! ;)[/quote]

I’m totally with MarkH and his thinking on this one.

Judged sports and especially those Olympic-type judged sports (gymnastics and figure skating) are “womens” sports so I’m not surprised by the results. I also almost went with swimming over rugby, but I recall watching some of the Rugby World Cup on Sky Sports or Fox Sports World or one of those outer channels and being quite intrigued by it all.

Still, my favorite non US traditional league sport (baseball, basketball, football, hockey and I’ll include soccer) is Australian Rules Football. It is one of the finest sports that is not played in this country.

It’s hard for me to enjoy a sport where “music selection” has anything to do with the outcome. Scratch Figure Skating and Gymnastics.

Ditto on the judging. I think it’s a reason I stay away from boxing. It’s a reason why I hate the BCS system. It’s why I LOVE March Madness.

Easy choice for me.
I don’t even consider figure skating a sport. Dancing on ice. Is dancing considered a “sport.” Who are competing against? Events with judges are not “sporting.” Gymnastics is very difficult and athletic BUT is harmed by the “judging” issue.
Even been to a swim meet? Surpasses track and field for boredam.

I’ve always felt that there are too many events in swimming. What’s the point of the different strokes? Just get in the water and swim whatever way is the fastest. You don’t see track having the 100m run, the 100m backward run, 100m cartwheel & 100m military crawl. While we’re at it, get rid of the walking events in track as well.

Track has sprinting, walking, hurdles, steeplechase. Sort of like the different strokes in swimming.

Funny, I just meet a “race walker” at our local track. He was moving pretty good. I stopped and talked to him a while. Nice kid. I asked him how he got started race walking. He said his sister competed. He said he competed at regional and national events. Said it was great exercise.
I don’t think HSs or colleges have “race walking.”

LOL…funny stuff…I have tons of friends here in Atlanta that are constantly complaining about the length of their kids’ swim meets, but then will gloat about Johnny winning 5 medals from 5 races, all at the same distance.

I too hate, hate, hate judged sports. I covered several Olympics and to me those sports were always head-scratchers (especially figure skating) when it came to the results. Give me who got from point A to point B the fastest or who got more points, goals…

My favorites…alpine skiing…speed skating…short-track speedskating (roller derby on ice)…curling (yes, curling)…hockey…track and field…and most of the “ball” sports, especially team handball, not kidding.

Sort of not. Running hurdles & steeplechase is still running. They don’t have backwards hurdles, walking hurdles, etc. Let’s put some obstacles in the water for the swimmers, then we can say that it’s sort of the same.

I already said they should get rid of the walking events. Nothing against competitive walkers, but I have to question a timed event where there are rules that force you to move slower than you are phisically capable of.

Gymnastics & skating is one of those gray areas. Physically demanding, but so much relies on style & opinion for the scoring. My main issue with gymnastics is that there is something fundamentally wrong with women’s gymnastics. Can you think of any other sport where you are over the hill by the age of 18?

:smiley: And the hits keep on coming…timauman will be here all week folks…don’t forget to tip your waitress.

[quote="JohnT, post:12, topic:2888"]Track has sprinting, walking, hurdles, steeplechase. Sort of like the different strokes in swimming.[/quote]

Sort of not. Running hurdles & steeplechase is still running. They don’t have backwards hurdles, walking hurdles, etc. Let’s put some obstacles in the water for the swimmers, then we can say that it’s sort of the same.

I already said they should get rid of the walking events. Nothing against competitive walkers, but I have to question a timed event where there are rules that force you to move slower than you are phisically capable of.

Gymnastics & skating is one of those gray areas. Physically demanding, but so much relies on style & opinion for the scoring. My main issue with gymnastics is that there is something fundamentally wrong with women’s gymnastics. Can you think of any other sport where you are over the hill by the age of 18?

How about a potato sack race, a 3-legged race, quarter mile skip, and a hundred yard dash carrying an egg on a spoon?

Mildly off Topic, but I used to get a kick out of Jim Rome’s “Bowling is not a sport” rant. (among others)

Paraphasing - Any sport where you compete with a non-filter in one hand and a long neck in the other, is not a sport. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Speed, post:18, topic:2888”]Mildly off Topic, but I used to get a kick out of Jim Rome’s “Bowling is not a sport” rant. (among others)

Paraphasing - Any sport where you compete with a non-filter in one hand and a long neck in the other, is not a sport. :)[/quote]

That was my softball schtick: Catching an outfield fly by transferring the cigarette to my beer hand while putting the glove on that I had tucked under my left armpit and carefully placing my beer on the ground. Never quite perfected the throw after the catch.