PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Sunday's Games of Note

Here are the games I’m keeping my eye on today (with team we want to win in BOLD)…

12:00 - UConn @ Cincinnati - It’s probably a stretch for Cincy to miss out on the dance at this point, but losing out and also losing their first game at MSG might do the trick. They have games @Marquette and home vs. Georgetown after this to close out the season, so there certainly is a chance of a 3 game skid heading to the Big East tourney.

1:00 - Purdue @ Michigan State - Give Michigan State another loss in the Big Ten standings, and also hurt their tourney chances a bit. A loss also has the added benefit of moving us back into a tie for 4th in the Big Ten.

1:00 - Xavier @ Dayton - Dayton is the last team in Palm’s latest bracket. They only have one top 50 win on their resume, and this is their last chance for one before the A10 tourney. It will also give them a 7th A-10 loss (not too good in the #9 ranked conference).

2:00 - Albany @ Maine - A win keeps Maine’s RPI above 200, and also gives them the #3 seed in the America East tourney (downside is that they’d most likely open the tourney with a road game against the host, Hartford). I just don’t want this loss looking any worse.

3:30 - Fairfield @ Iona - Fairfield has already wrapped up the #1 seed in the MAAC tourney (and gets the tourney at home). However it’s pretty clear now that they will be our top RPI non-conference win, so we need all the help that we can get from them. They are a 6.5 point underdog today, but a win here would be the difference between an RPI of 76 and an RPI of 88-89 (according to RPIForecast).

4:00 - Indiana @ Ohio State - OSU winning will give us a little RPI help in the end. But more importantly, I want them to look convincing today and impress the pollsters so that they move back up to #1 for Tuesday night’s showdown.

4:00 - Providence @ Marquette - Marquette picked up a big win this week and is looking pretty good right now, but a loss to Providence would really hurt them. They don’t have a bad loss on their resume, but a home loss to a squad with a current RPI of 145 would certainly be a wart for the committee to see.

7:45 - Maryland @ North Carolina - A Maryland win would help our RPI, however it would also bring them much closer to the bubble. North Carolina is a lock, so I think it’s worth the small RPI hit to keep Maryland further out of it.

10:00pm - Washington State @ Washington - Washington is a 10 seed in Palm’s latest bracket, and another home loss here could push them very close to the bubble. The negative aspect of a Cougar win is that they creep back towards the bubble, however I think they’re far enough out right now that I’ll be pulling for them.

Bravo frats. Making “Bubble Watch” and “Daily Games to Watch” obsolete. Good stuff.

Boilers looking SICK. While Spartans I think are falling on their sword. Boilers up 20, 5 minutes left.

Dear Big Ten gods…Please do not let PSU have to face Purdue in the BTT unless game is played on Sunday.

Imagine if the had Hummel. :o I am glad Moore and Johnson are graduating. Would have like Hummel to be going with them.

Got the results we wanted in the first 3 games. Maine is up 2 on Albany with just over 6 minutes left.

Purdue certainly looked good today. They would be scary-good with Hummell this season.

Maine lost in OT. What a collapse they had to end the year.

NW hanging in there @Wisky.

I think they beat Minny next week.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2005"]Dear Big Ten gods...Please do not let PSU have to face Purdue in the BTT unless game is played on Sunday.[/quote] Imagine if the had Hummel. :o I am glad Moore and Johnson are graduating. Would have like Hummel to be going with them.

Johnson went 20/17 with 7 blocks.

The last Big Ten player to get at least 20/15 and 5? Jan Jagla in 2003.

Just think how good a road win over Purdue would look on our resume right now… oy

Dear Big Ten gods...Please do not let PSU have to face Purdue in the BTT unless game is played on Sunday.

Just think how good a road win over Purdue would look on our resume right now… oy

Craftsy,

I have to re-post the end of your rant from the Purdue game. We all knew it would probably come down to this when it happened…enjoy :slight_smile:

Craftsy’s rant from the “Purdue IGT”

You can only take the high road so far. He's going to take it right into the unemployment line if he's satisfied with a "moral victory" and a very real robbery. These calls do not even out. You get ZERO credit for close losses, and we're now officially one whistle away from a big10 win that trust me, we are going to need (and deserve) at the end of the season. I feel terrible for these guys, I really do. That was a tragedy and nothing will be done about it.

I still feel the way you and many others do that night in West Lafayette. If PSU finishes 9-9 and on the outside looking in because “they didn’t have any quality wins on the road” then no one can argue that that one Ted Hillary call kept PSU out of the Dance. Oh, you can try Lar, but I’ll “shoot you down”.

Now, I will say that maybe PSU would have gotten big heads with a win like that, then come home and pi$$ the bed against Iowa (not likely) or wouldn’t have fought as hard in the big win against Wisconsin those next two games.

But when it comes down to the one moment of this season, that one call will prove to be the dagger in the back.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2005"]Dear Big Ten gods...Please do not let PSU have to face Purdue in the BTT unless game is played on Sunday.[/quote]

Craftsy,

I have to re-post the end of your rant from the Purdue game. We all knew it would probably come down to this when it happened…enjoy :slight_smile:

Craftsy’s rant from the “Purdue IGT”

You can only take the high road so far. He's going to take it right into the unemployment line if he's satisfied with a "moral victory" and a very real robbery. These calls do not even out. You get ZERO credit for close losses, and we're now officially one whistle away from a big10 win that trust me, we are going to need (and deserve) at the end of the season. I feel terrible for these guys, I really do. That was a tragedy and nothing will be done about it.

I still feel the way you and many others do that night in West Lafayette. If PSU finishes 9-9 and on the outside looking in because “they didn’t have any quality wins on the road” then no one can argue that that one Ted Hillary call kept PSU out of the Dance. Oh, you can try Lar, but I’ll “shoot you down”.

Now, I will say that maybe PSU would have gotten big heads with a win like that, then come home and pi$$ the bed against Iowa (not likely) or wouldn’t have fought as hard in the big win against Wisconsin those next two games.

But when it comes down to the one moment of this season, that one call will prove to be the dagger in the back.

And I still say that even after looking at the video, there’s nothing conclusive about who it went out on so it can’t be called an egregious call.