Stuck btw a Rokk and a hard place

Got an email the other night and I figure it might generate some new chatter…

WHAT IF PSU DOESNT DANCE NEXT YEAR?

Sure its a long way off, but having a PLAN B never hurts.

And to me, its make it or break it in the 76 Classic:
3-0 sign ME UP
2-1 dancing shoes may need to be ordered
1-2 VERY unlikely, IMHO
0-3 is NOT out of the question because:

A) PSU does NOTHING early season away from the BJC un DeChellis
B) the field contains no TEAMS PSU cant lose to
C) there will be MEGA Pressure to preform
D) Jackson & Jones appear to be MAXED OUT

Me personally? I think it’s too early to be worrying about next year (although I think it’s going to be a really good year) but his posts usually make for good topics…

I disagree with the part about Jones. He may have maxed out last year during the NIT but he’s not playing that well right now so I know he can do better.

Also, about part “C”, the more pressure the better IMO. That’s when Talor plays the best.

Wow, Rokk by proxy! ???
I’m too busy worrying about this year.

So, is he lurking here as a member under yet another new name?

There was one post under the moniker of oldtownclub in the Cap One Bowl thread that had a hint of Rokk to it:

B4 you get to be a BCS team...you have to: NOT lose twice Get a punt blocked and returned for a td at the 50 yard line. get a special teams coach find a punt gunner in the program for 4 years that can find the ball in coverage.

that about nails it. do those four things and you r undefeated.

That said. Very good team with substandard o line will beat LSU and a not spectacular d line.
I’ll take 11-2 from this unit. Too bad it could not have been more…
Lions 24-9.

Really it was a little better than some most predicted and hats off to Darryl Clark…great season and leadership. Atrue Penn State man.

All the other posts from this poster have been fairly straightforward, so it’s tough to tell.
But I’m feeling the Rokk vibe around the board lately.

The 76 Classic should be a great test next season. It really does have one of those fields where we could lose to anyone in it, but could also beat anyone in it. If we are the NCAA team that I expect us to be, then a 2-1 showing out there is a must. 3-0 would be great, but at least 2-1 doesn’t set us back. Something like 1-2 and we’ll again have an uphill climb.

Next season should be the best team we put on the court since the 2000-2001 squad (and maybe since the 95-96 team). We will really need to capitalize on it since players like Talor Battle don’t come through PSU often, and though Brooks/DJ/Jones/Ott aren’t stars, they are good enough to be complimentary players on an NCAA team.

Though I’d love to see a bunch of Wins this season, I’m almost more worried about player development than wins. I’m almost ok seeing us lose a tough game where Talor struggles but guys like Jones/Brooks/Edwards step up and show that they can deliver for us. I think we kinda know what we’re going to get out of Talor, but the key to an NCAA season next year will be the other guys stepping up. If someone like Andrew Jones could lift his level of play like Gyasi did, we’d be a lot closer. Or if Buie can step right in as a 2nd/3rd scorer and lock down defender. Or if Brooks can make the leap, or Edwards really steps up. There are a lot of possibilities in there, but a few of those guys making “the leap” will be the difference between Talor carrying us to an NIT or Talor and company making us a tough out in the NCAAs.

As usual, Rokk makes some great points, and I can’t really argue with any of it except for Jones/Jackson being maxed out. I think there is still room for improvement for both.

It is true that ED’s teams have performed poorly away from the BJC in the early parts of the seasons - however, there will be one HUGE difference next year, and that is the amount of returning talent that has played a lot (and correspondingly, there will be a lack of newbies that need to be broken in). This year we had a number of new guys (or old guys that hadn’t played much) that were seeing significant minutes for the first time at the collegiate level. Next year, everyone returns (fingers crossed on Battle), and we add Buie, who likely won’t need as much of an adjustment as some of the others have, and even if it is a big adjustment, we should really be fine even if he doesn’t contribute much.

That being said, I’m hopeful of at least a 2-1 finish in the 76 Classic, and the kick-start to a great season. Of course, a lot of things can happen between now and then to change that opinion.

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing the other day. Next year really is the test for Ed. He has brought us a long way, but I really think he has to get in. I have been patient. I understand all the problems in the past and how bad we were when he took over, but now he has his players. If he can’t get his guys into the dance, then we would need someone who can.

My question would be, “does the next football coach determine the next basketball coach?” If they sign tom Bradly for 750K, there is no way they are going to go out and spend 2 or 3 mil on a basketball coach(not the PSU likely would anyway). If we go out and get a big name football coach for 4 mil a year, you could pay 2 mil for a hoops coach much easier.

lol I got an email from him the other day, too. Wish he’d have just come back, the place doesn’t quite feel the same without an instigator around like him.

[quote=“chicago lion, post:7, topic:467”]Funny, I was thinking about the same thing the other day. Next year really is the test for Ed. He has brought us a long way, but I really think he has to get in. I have been patient. I understand all the problems in the past and how bad we were when he took over, but now he has his players. If he can’t get his guys into the dance, then we would need someone who can.

My question would be, “does the next football coach determine the next basketball coach?” If they sign tom Bradly for 750K, there is no way they are going to go out and spend 2 or 3 mil on a basketball coach(not the PSU likely would anyway). If we go out and get a big name football coach for 4 mil a year, you could pay 2 mil for a hoops coach much easier.[/quote]

Uh. We have a coach who was just named Coach of the Year in the Big Ten. He’s not going anywhere so we aren’t in the market for one - big name or otherwise.

[quote="chicago lion, post:7, topic:467"]Funny, I was thinking about the same thing the other day. Next year really is the test for Ed. He has brought us a long way, but I really think he has to get in. I have been patient. I understand all the problems in the past and how bad we were when he took over, but now he has his players. If he can't get his guys into the dance, then we would need someone who can.

My question would be, “does the next football coach determine the next basketball coach?” If they sign tom Bradly for 750K, there is no way they are going to go out and spend 2 or 3 mil on a basketball coach(not the PSU likely would anyway). If we go out and get a big name football coach for 4 mil a year, you could pay 2 mil for a hoops coach much easier.[/quote]

Uh. We have a coach who was just named Coach of the Year in the Big Ten. He’s not going anywhere so we aren’t in the market for one - big name or otherwise.

We just won the NIT, we are 6-3 with a bunch of new players, (maybe) our best player is a senior at State College High, and this conversation is started? ???

What a pathetic creature William Rokk is. Don’t miss him, never will. I hope he is battling an enlarged prostate.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:467"]lol I got an email from him the other day, too. Wish he'd have just come back, the place doesn't quite feel the same without an instigator around like him.[/quote]

What a pathetic creature William Rokk is. Don’t miss him, never will. I hope he is battling an enlarged prostate.

Oh my. :o

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:467"]lol I got an email from him the other day, too. Wish he'd have just come back, the place doesn't quite feel the same without an instigator around like him.[/quote]

lol is that really necessary?

[quote=“blue2blue, post:6, topic:467”]As usual, Rokk makes some great points, and I can’t really argue with any of it except for Jones/Jackson being maxed out. I think there is still room for improvement for both.

It is true that ED’s teams have performed poorly away from the BJC in the early parts of the seasons - however, there will be one HUGE difference next year, and that is the amount of returning talent that has played a lot (and correspondingly, there will be a lack of newbies that need to be broken in). This year we had a number of new guys (or old guys that hadn’t played much) that were seeing significant minutes for the first time at the collegiate level. Next year, everyone returns (fingers crossed on Battle), and we add Buie, who likely won’t need as much of an adjustment as some of the others have, and even if it is a big adjustment, we should really be fine even if he doesn’t contribute much.

That being said, I’m hopeful of at least a 2-1 finish in the 76 Classic, and the kick-start to a great season. Of course, a lot of things can happen between now and then to change that opinion.[/quote]
You are already setting expectations for how this team will finish in next year’s early season tournament? You do realize there are still 20+ games left to play this year, right? ::slight_smile:

[quote=“chicago lion, post:7, topic:467”]Funny, I was thinking about the same thing the other day. Next year really is the test for Ed. He has brought us a long way, but I really think he has to get in. I have been patient. I understand all the problems in the past and how bad we were when he took over, but now he has his players. If he can’t get his guys into the dance, then we would need someone who can.

Seriously? You are questioning whether Ed can get the job done? He has an NIT championship. He was Big Ten Coach of the Year last year. He has signed what is arguably the best group of recruits and players that have ever taken the court at Penn State history. He is 6-3 this season after setting the standard for other Big Ten coaches by winning three ACC-Big Ten Challenge games in a row. He won more games in a single season than any other Penn State head coach. So now you are judging his worthiness as head coach by whether he makes the NCAA tournament next year?

The thought process that it takes to even come up with such a ridiculous comment is so foreign to me that I dont know what to say in response? ???

[quote="chicago lion, post:7, topic:467"]Funny, I was thinking about the same thing the other day. Next year really is the test for Ed. He has brought us a long way, but I really think he has to get in. I have been patient. I understand all the problems in the past and how bad we were when he took over, but now he has his players. [b]If he can't get his guys into the dance, then we would need someone who can[/b].

Seriously? You are questioning whether Ed can get the job done? He has an NIT championship. He was Big Ten Coach of the Year last year. He has signed what is arguably the best group of recruits and players that have ever taken the court at Penn State history. He is 6-3 this season after setting the standard for other Big Ten coaches by winning three ACC-Big Ten Challenge games in a row. He won more games in a single season than any other Penn State head coach. So now you are judging his worthiness as head coach by whether he makes the NCAA tournament next year?

The thought process that it takes to even come up with such a ridiculous comment is so foreign to me that I dont know what to say in response? ???

Um, one would think that these 2 things should go hand in hand. ::slight_smile:

[quote=“LPcreation, post:1, topic:467”]Got an email the other night and I figure it might generate some new chatter…

Me personally? I think it’s too early to be worrying about next year (although I think it’s going to be a really good year) but his posts usually make for good topics…

I disagree with the part about Jones. He may have maxed out last year during the NIT but he’s not playing that well right now so I know he can do better.

Also, about part “C”, the more pressure the better IMO. That’s when Talor plays the best.[/quote]

ROKK is black and white, sometimes to a fault, but always fun to read. Re the maxxed out part, he means they peaked. Tough to argue with that, as this is their 4th year in the program.

I’m as big a fan of Buie as any, and anybody who sees him play this season will be impressed. Yes, he will help, but guards are not PSU’s problem. Rebounding and inside scoring are, and we’re not adding any front line players next year. The real test will be this year in conference. Either our front line outplays the comp or they don’t. Win or lose in the paint. IMO, that’s the season. So far, I think it’s been spotty, and the comp hasn’t been great. The big guy on Temple had 12 rebounds. Virginia Tech should be good test for our front line. Their big man, Allen, has good numbers.

While I agree we need quality big men, there is room for improvement from our guards. Our shooting from 3pt land has been terrible,.309 this year.

True, but if you don’t have an inside game, and everybody’s at the arc(or at least 4 players), this is bound to happen, as the defense doesn’t worry about protecting the paint, and D’s up the arc. Make the defense collapse opens up the arc for better looks. On one of the game’s which PSU looked good, Len Elmore was talking about playing north/south, rather than east/west. I think it was the UVA game, and he was saying how much better PSU looked by going north/south in the second half. When the team goes east/west, you get lousy shots. You can go north/south two ways, have the guards penetrate, or pass it in to a big playing with his back to the basket. We do some of the former, very, very little of the latter, certainly not every game. DJ did it big time vs. SHU, but not much since. Brooks did it nicely in Tulane game, had 15 points and 7 rebounds, his best game, but he’s had 3 games with a single rebound, so it hasn’t been consistent, and going forward, we’ll be playing bigger and better teams.

If we don’t get points in the paint, tomorrow will be tough. Vs. Pitt, IU was 1-7 from the arc, Pitt was 8-22, scoring 21 more points at the arc. So, how’d they lose? IU had 40 points in the paint to Pitt’s 20. Playing this way also had IU go 25-34 from the line, while Pitt was only 12-17. Essentially same percentage, but a lot less shots. IU’s big guy, Watford, was 12-15. Go inside and get fouled. Shoot 3’s and get fouled less. Battle has same amount of FTA’s, 55, as Jones, DJ and Brooks combined. That’s ridiculous. Kind of tells the kind of shots we take. MSU’s 3 bigs with the most minutes have 99 FTA’s to Lucas’ 45. Some difference, huh?

Kid, i understand what your saying, but we have had a lot of wide open threes this year. We’re just not shooting well right now. No inside game can help someone make a wide open shot.