PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Story on the new BJC scoreboard

I like it a LOT more with the ad ring around the top, and not around the bottom. Looks nice! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - ANC Sports Enterprises and Penn State University announced the Bryce Jordan Center will receive a new center-hung scoreboard featuring high-definition quality visuals across approximately half a million pixels.”

A half-million pixels isn’t a lot.

A true HD image on your widescreen TV has about 2M pixels (1920 x 1080). Even HD 720 has about million pixels (1280 x 720). A half million is equivalent to an SVGA display (800 x 600) which is a non-widescreen format. That’s also consistent with the article that says the displays are 12 feet high by 16 feet wide). While Super VGA (800 x 600) is better than standard def, I’m not so sure it reaches high-definition in most people’s mind.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:3, topic:2622”]“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - ANC Sports Enterprises and Penn State University announced the Bryce Jordan Center will receive a new center-hung scoreboard featuring high-definition quality visuals across approximately half a million pixels.”

A true HD image on your widescreen TV has about 2M pixels (1920 x 1080). Even HD 720 has about million pixels (1280 x 720). A half million is equivalent to an SVGA display (800 x 600) which is a non-widescreen format. That’s also consistent with the article that says the displays are 12 feet high by 16 feet wide). While Super VGA (800 x 600) is better than standard def, I’m not so sure it reaches high-definition in most people’s mind.[/quote]

Care to guess the resolution for the new boards in Rec Hall? You might be surprised.

Hint: Way less than half a million.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:3, topic:2622”]“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - ANC Sports Enterprises and Penn State University announced the Bryce Jordan Center will receive a new center-hung scoreboard featuring high-definition quality visuals across approximately half a million pixels.”

A true HD image on your widescreen TV has about 2M pixels (1920 x 1080). Even HD 720 has about million pixels (1280 x 720). A half million is equivalent to an SVGA display (800 x 600) which is a non-widescreen format. That’s also consistent with the article that says the displays are 12 feet high by 16 feet wide). While Super VGA (800 x 600) is better than standard def, I’m not so sure it reaches high-definition in most people’s mind.[/quote]

Lar, I was thinking the same thing but did not want to sound negative.

That article sound like a lot of hype…

The new center-hung system will include over 1100 square feet of dynamic video capabilities which will provide real-time statistics, team logos, crowd prompts, animated team introductions, student athlete videos and live footage of events at the arena.
....didn't the old one do that?
Compelling visuals such as "We Are . . . Penn State" featuring player images walking across the video system, from one display to the next[i] will forever change the game day environment at the venue[/i]
....well, there you go. Atmosphere problem solved. Nothing but sell out crowds from here on out. ::)

Unless it increases our winning percentage, much ado about nothing. One thing I still miss about Rec Hall was that the scoreboard kept track and kept posted stats for both rosters.

A half-million pixels isn’t a lot.[/quote]

But they have attitude :slight_smile:

The article mentions games at the BJC on Nov. 14th & 16th. When will we see the full schedule? I would think it must be complete by this time.

I’ve been a bit surprised over the years by PSU Athletics’ lack of sophistication about technology. They’ve made some questionable choices. I suspect (but don’t know of course) that they are using their brand to leverage “good deals” from tech providers who hope to spark their business with the association and end up trading cash flow for competence.

One thing the alumni base builds in is the ability to suck cash out of the brand without doing permanent damage. What are we going to do, root for Ohio State?

[quote=“tjb, post:9, topic:2622”]I’ve been a bit surprised over the years by PSU Athletics’ lack of sophistication about technology. They’ve made some questionable choices. I suspect (but don’t know of course) that they are using their brand to leverage “good deals” from tech providers who hope to spark their business with the association and end up trading cash flow for competence.

One thing the alumni base builds in is the ability to suck cash out of the brand without doing permanent damage. What are we going to do, root for Ohio State?[/quote]

Maybe just not show up or care?

I LOVED that feature. Of course, it was built for the wrestling rosters, but I loved how it showed the whole roster for both teams with their pts and fouls. Made it really easy to tell what was sitting on the bench when you’re not so familiar with the other team.

Probably right after the Big Ten releases the BT schedule for the upcoming season?

http://www.freep.com/article/20110824/SPORTS06/110823067/1054?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FreepMichiganWolverines+(freep.com+|+Michigan+Wolverines)

Shouldn’t be that hard to make a schedule with 12 teams.

Exactly…should be easy to pick the four worst teams and give PSU only one game against each ;D

Though I guess it can be a challenge to set a schedule for 12 teams, when the league has been at 11 for the past two decades, yet is called the Big 10 :o

Shouldn't be that hard to make a schedule with 12 teams.

Exactly…should be easy to pick the four worst teams and give PSU only one game against each ;D

Though I guess it can be a challenge to set a schedule for 12 teams, when the league has been at 11 for the past two decades, yet is called the Big 10 :o

Don’t forget the annual PSU - NW national ESPN game! I think this year it’s scheduled to start at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time. (start time backed-up to accommodate Duke’s winter co-ed square dance review!! (I think, Jay Bilas should be broadcasting live) :wink:

[quote="UncleLar, post:3, topic:2622"][i]"UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - ANC Sports Enterprises and Penn State University announced the Bryce Jordan Center will receive a new center-hung scoreboard featuring high-definition quality visuals across [b]approximately half a million pixels[/b]."[/i]

Care to guess the resolution for the new boards in Rec Hall? You might be surprised.

Hint: Way less than half a million.

They are 250,000 - and I’d like to know why they called those HD too.

I don’t care what it is as long as it works in conjunction with the horn.

[quote="UncleLar, post:3, topic:2622"][i]"UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - ANC Sports Enterprises and Penn State University announced the Bryce Jordan Center will receive a new center-hung scoreboard featuring high-definition quality visuals across [b]approximately half a million pixels[/b]."[/i]

A half-million pixels isn’t a lot.[/quote]

That made me laugh!

But they have attitude :slight_smile: