PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Steve Jones

[quote=“Skeeza, post:20, topic:3028”]I like Dan Patrick.

I don’t like the ones who force themselves to be controversial. There are far too many good stories out there that can be covered without having to go to the same mindless antics on the some old topics.

The thing I like about Dan Patrick is that he avoids that. He seems to just be looking to have a good time as a sports talk radio host.

Let me ask the readers of this thread this question…

I see who you like to listen to on sports radio, but if you were in a bar either watching a game or just talking sports, which one of the sports talk hosts would it be?[/quote]

Patrick is good. Lar mentioned another one who goes down that Patrick type path in Scott Van Pelt. These two guys are knowledgeable and well-liked among their peers and don’t need to create this halo of controversy every time they open their mouths like so many others.

And I agree…Steve Jones is already in that realm and will not sell out. Plus, he’s just trying to play to a local audience, where hacks like Giger are trying to become the next Colin Cowherd or Jim Rome or any of those so-called journalists who spew their crap on ESPN and the like (I’m looking at you Skip Bayless), trying to make a name for themselves.

I’ll never, ever forget working the SportsCentury series for ESPN and the folks in charge were more concerned about getting their ESPN talent in the show than the actual athletes/coaches who played large roles in what we were trying to produce. It’s ESPN’s mentality that their talent and their network are larger than the sports that they cover, and that is wrong. But since viewers buy into their ways, they will continue to fester the sports world.

I still love to watch shows like E:60 and have some friends who I know and trust that work on that show…real journalists, mind you. 30 in 30 is also a top notch series, as was SportsCentury. But where ESPN has crossed the line with me is in the way they have taken over the airwaves with “journalists” who do nothing but stir up controversy all in the name of ratings. I felt that way before the whole Penn State scandal and obviously they’ve done nothing to change my mind in that regard.

Steve Jones, thankfully, is not that and I look forward to hearing his show, if there is some way to get it outside of State College.

“Steve Jones, thankfully, is not that and I look forward to hearing his show, if there is some way to get it outside of State College.”

Two red solo cups and a long string.

[quote=“BubblingLion, post:22, topic:3028”]“Steve Jones, thankfully, is not that and I look forward to hearing his show, if there is some way to get it outside of State College.”

Two red solo cups and a long string.[/quote]

Unfortunately, 800 miles long.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:20, topic:3028”]Let me ask the readers of this thread this question…

I see who you like to listen to on sports radio, but if you were in a bar either watching a game or just talking sports, which one of the sports talk hosts would it be?[/quote]

Funny you should ask - for several reasons.

One - I’ve actually talked to Scott Van Pelt in a bar albeit only very briefly and we didn’t talk about sports.

Two - I’ve also talked with Steve Jones in a bar (if you count the Tavern Restaurant as a bar. Jones does live updates from the Tavern on home football Fridays in the fall).

Three - I’ve been helping two local guys with an internet radio show that they will be kicking off tomorrow. Former PSU football players Tim Sweeney and Keith Conlin, both of whom fit the “guys who would you want to talks sports with in a bar” to a T, will be doing exactly that tomorrow. Their show will be called “The Goon Show” (Conlin’s nickname) and their inaugural show will be from the G-Man at 7PM tomorrow. I’ll provide a link when they give me the “all systems go” with the show.

Live stream

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sports-talk-with-steve-jones

So, 10 minutes into this show, I’ll say this: I like it.

First time I’ve turned the radio on at home to listen to an afternoon radio show in years.

Lots of hoops talk going on now, more than I can remember in ages, with guest Mark Brennan.

Jones will be on from 1-3, SVP from 3-4, then I’m turning the radio off (in other words, Giger is still on at 4).

More hoops talk coming up with Keith Urgo.

And all of this is on football LOI day !!! :smiley:

That probably has to do with the qulaity of the football recruiting class we have coming in. :-[

Ed Hightower reference by Steve. This is going to be a great radio show, definitely more hoops friendly then other local shows.

Looks like Jones is doing a daily show from 3-5pm on a Sunbury station, too.

http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x991869367/WKOK-debuts-sports-show

Also, http://stevejonesshow.com/

That site has yesterday’s interviews with “Brain” Daly and Tim Frazier on it.

Does this mean “back - to - back” shows for Steve. 1-3…then 3-5?

If so, this may put a damper on Steve’s practice watching ability.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder how much will be repeated from the first show to the second. Since I work a public desk from 2-4 most days, I wonder if I’ll be able to catch up from 4-5.

Also, I know that WKOK has been trying to go back to more local programming. They’re one of the few radio stations that’s still owned by the original family that started it in the early 30s. They cover quite a bit of local high school sports among the five stations they own. In fact, PSU basketball is sometimes bumped in favor of Shikellamy High School wrestling or basketball.

While a Penn State focused show is more local than the nationally syndicated shows they have run in the afternoon, Steve had better be prepared to acommodate a lot of Notre Dame fans as well as a surprising number of WVU fans as well.

Does anyone know why 1450 AM does not stream?
Thanks.

[quote=“ebervale, post:35, topic:3028”]Does anyone know why 1450 AM does not stream?
Thanks.[/quote]

[quote=“Tom, post:25, topic:3028”]Live stream

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sports-talk-with-steve-jones[/quote]

this works for Steve’s show