PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Steve Jones

I hear that Steve Jones will soon be having his own sports show on 1450AM in State College. Does anyone else have more details? I checked the ‘schedule’ portion of their website, which brings us their schedule from October.

Taking Cory Giger’s spot?

That wouldn’t surprise me. Steve was let go by 3WZ after they changed formats. He would be a natural at ESPN1450. I only hope that he’s replacing Gory Giger, whom I’d live to see go back to Arkansas.

Giger is the worst. The absolute worst.

With Steve’s schedule I have to believe that it will be a morning show.

True, but ESPN radio has syndicated shows all morning. I don’t know how that’d work contractually.

I didn’t know about this hack until I saw him on SportsCenter the week that all the fit hit the shan. He was just railing on JoePa left and right and the knuckleheads on the SportsCenter set were hanging on his every word like he’s Mr. Know-It-All. He had a play in getting the media to turn its total attention to Paterno that week and pretty much gave the BOT a little more motivation to do what they did.

I will give him a “frask in pisk” (for all you Yiddish fans out there) if I ever run into him and just say the words “shame on you” and walk the other way.

In my business, I’ve dealt with a lot of blowhards who just like to hear themselves speak. They are very shallow human beings who spew crap to just get their name out there. ESPN is full of these types and the higher ups (who I know) buy into this crap because it pulls in ratings.

ESPN probably wouldn’t like Steve Jones because he’s not one of them.

Off my soap box for the time being…

I called him out for a blog post he made last March. He had Tim Curley on as a guest during a broadcast right after the NCAA opening round. On the show Curley stated that he thought we had a fantastic season and was looking forward to this year . Giger tried to turn it into a big deal after the show by writing up in his blog in the Altoona Mirror that Curley was giving DeChellis a “vote of confidence”. It was ridiculous that he was trying to make it a news story that Curley wasn’t firing DeChellis after making the NCAAs, especially since the subject was never actually broached on Giger’s show. It was a non story but Giger wrote it up to generate some controversy. After I called him out on it, he had the nerve to mention me in a Facebook post/tweet inviting me to come on to his show to defend DeChellis. I refused to because I didn’t want to give his show any credibility.

Wish 1450AM would put a stream up so people outside the area could listen to the shows.

According to Twitter, Steve Jones will be on AM 1450 weekdays 1-3 pm. That takes over most of Van Pelt’s slot, I think.

Giger is the worst. The absolute worst.

I didn’t know about this hack until I saw him on SportsCenter the week that all the fit hit the shan. He was just railing on JoePa left and right and the knuckleheads on the SportsCenter set were hanging on his every word like he’s Mr. Know-It-All. He had a play in getting the media to turn its total attention to Paterno that week and pretty much gave the BOT a little more motivation to do what they did.

I will give him a “frask in pisk” (for all you Yiddish fans out there) if I ever run into him and just say the words “shame on you” and walk the other way.

In my business, I’ve dealt with a lot of blowhards who just like to hear themselves speak. They are very shallow human beings who spew crap to just get their name out there. ESPN is full of these types and the higher ups (who I know) buy into this crap because it pulls in ratings.

ESPN probably wouldn’t like Steve Jones because he’s not one of them.

Off my soap box for the time being…

Hello, Colin Cowherd!

Van Pelt is the only guy of the bunch that ESPN has on that I actually enjoy listening to. I hope Scott gets slipped into some other slot.

[quote="psuDW, post:10, topic:3028"]According to Twitter, Steve Jones will be on AM 1450 weekdays 1-3 pm. That takes over most of Van Pelt's slot, I think.[/quote]

Van Pelt is the only guy of the bunch that ESPN has on that I actually enjoy listening to. I hope Scott gets slipped into some other slot.

As unlikely as it is to happen I would hope Cowherd’s slot.

I love Cowherd, at least relative to nearly everyone else in sports radio. I think once you learn to listen to his show from the correct perspective it becomes a pretty entertaining show, although more comedy than sports analysis. But that’s about the most you can expect out of a national show in my opinion - you can’t bring in millions of listeners from different parts of the country without being controversial, people will change the station and he knows that so he’s constantly trying to play devil’s advocate or find strange angles to play stories from. I guess this bothers some people, to which I would say lighten up.

As far as Steve Jones - I was excited to hear this news also, but I have a feeling he will suffer from what I just mentioned. He’s too nice, from what I know of him. I hope he can make it work, but I don’t have huge expectations that it will for very long.

[quote="psuDW, post:10, topic:3028"]According to Twitter, Steve Jones will be on AM 1450 weekdays 1-3 pm. That takes over most of Van Pelt's slot, I think.[/quote]

Good call. I like listening to him too. I was so glad when they bumped Jim Rome.

And therein lies the problem. It seems you need to be either a blowhard that draws controversy or unbelievably knowledgeable to a point where people enjoy listening to you because you offer a load of information that they can’t get anywhere else. I have a friend, our daughters are best friends at school, who does Atlanta sports radio that is like that. He’s far from a blowhard, but is the best at what he does and is a tremendous interviewer of big-name sports celebrities to boot. I hope with Steve’s insight into all that is PSU sports, that he can become the latter.

As far as Steve Jones - I was excited to hear this news also, but I have a feeling he will suffer from what I just mentioned. [b]He's too nice[/b], from what I know of him. I hope he can make it work, but I don't have huge expectations that it will for very long.

And therein lies the problem. It seems you need to be either a blowhard that draws controversy or unbelievably knowledgeable to a point where people enjoy listening to you because you offer a load of information that they can’t get anywhere else. I have a friend, our daughters are best friends at school, who does Atlanta sports radio that is like that. He’s far from a blowhard, but is the best at what he does and is a tremendous interviewer of big-name sports celebrities to boot. I hope with Steve’s insight into all that is PSU sports, that he can become the latter.

In my opinion, Steve already is the latter. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things PSU.

Apparently Jones’ show starts today

I’m not really a talk show guy but I think Steve will do very well. Stan Savran had talk shows for years in the Pgh market. Stan proves a legit straight sport talk guy can be popular.

I like Dan Patrick.

I don’t like the ones who force themselves to be controversial. There are far too many good stories out there that can be covered without having to go to the same mindless antics on the some old topics.

The thing I like about Dan Patrick is that he avoids that. He seems to just be looking to have a good time as a sports talk radio host.

Let me ask the readers of this thread this question…

I see who you like to listen to on sports radio, but if you were in a bar either watching a game or just talking sports, which one of the sports talk hosts would it be?