PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Steve Jones on Jed's Show This Evening

Steve was on Jed’s show from 7:30 - 8:00 this evening. Here are some interesting things Steve said in the back and forth with Jed.

1. I think it was Steve who said he talked to Bruce Parkhill about the Chambers hire. Bruce was very enthusiastic about it and said that he thought Pat would build on the excellent foundation that Ed had built up over the past four years. Steve pressed him a little about that and Parkhill replied that the 2007-08 team (Geary’s senior year) was definitely poised to go to the NCAA tournament and could have gone deep into the tournament that year until Geary hurt his knee. (Steve said that don’t forget that Cornley missed a lot of the last month of the season with his injury and the team led by freshman Talor Battle went on to win five games in a row at the end and lay the foundation for the 27 win season the next year. Parkhill’s reasoning was that the 07-08 team would have gone to the NCAA tournament and then the 2008-2009 team (the team that won the NIT) would have been an NCAA tournament team because they had gone the year before (the legacy effect). The 2009-10 would have struggled, and then the 2010-11 team would go to the tournament. So everything was set up for Ed to take the team to the tournament three out of the last four years. The injuries to Claxton and Cornley doomed the 07-08 team. Steve didn’t mention this, but back to back NCAA’s in 07-08 and 08-09 would undoubtedly have helped recruiting, too.

2. Jed asked about the increased commitment the University was showing to basketball. Steve said that was a tremendous misconception on the part of the fan base because Curley had always been a passionate supporter of the hoops program. Steve gave a “for instance” and talked about all the internet chatter about Ed having to fly commercial to make recruiting trips. Steve said Ed always had access to the university plane - he just didn’t like to fly in small planes (wait until Navy flies him on F/A-18’s on recruiting trips ;D); so he flew commercial. [Despite what Steve said and while that may be true, it sure doesn’t explain the salaries for the head coach and the assistants and the Bon Jovi thing.]

3. Steve said that this was going to be a very interesting season because none of the players on the team had been recruited to PSU by Pat. He also said he expects a lot of points off defensive stops and remarked that Pat was a great defensive coach.

4. Jed mentioned that if this situation (Ed leaving) had occurred immediately after the season, Chambers may have been the choice even though a lot of other names would have been available.

5. Steve’s knowledge of PSU hoops is encyclopedic - he was spouting off names from 20 years ago that are only vaguely familiar to me.

6. Steve also mentioned that he and Dick Jerardi had an extended conversation with Pat in Philly on Saturday. I haven’t read anything from Dick about what he thought of the hire.

7. One additional item – Steve and Jed talked about the poor TV coverage that PSU hoops experienced prior to the emergence of the BTN. Pre-BTN, it was atrocious. They’d get a 4 PM game against NW on ESPN on wild card weekend or something similar. PSU was never on in Philly or Pittsburgh or Harrisburg. Now the BTN reaches 83% of the households in PA. The BTN has meant PSU is on a lot more than it ever was before.

Thanks!

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2475”]Steve was on Jed’s show from 7:30 - 8:00 this evening. Here are some interesting things Steve said in the back and forth with Jed.

1. I think it was Steve who said he talked to Bruce Parkhill about the Chambers hire. Bruce was very enthusiastic about it and said that he thought Pat would build on the excellent foundation that Ed had built up over the past four years. Steve pressed him a little about that and Parkhill replied that the 2007-08 team (Geary’s senior year) was definitely poised to go to the NCAA tournament and could have gone deep into the tournament that year until Geary hurt his knee. [/quote]

Oh yes, that great team that lost to Rider, South Carolina and UCF in a span of 4 days.

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:2475"]Steve was on Jed's show from 7:30 - 8:00 this evening. Here are some interesting things Steve said in the back and forth with Jed.
  1. I think it was Steve who said he talked to Bruce Parkhill about the Chambers hire. Bruce was very enthusiastic about it and said that he thought Pat would build on the excellent foundation that Ed had built up over the past four years. Steve pressed him a little about that and Parkhill replied that the 2007-08 team (Geary’s senior year) was definitely poised to go to the NCAA tournament and could have gone deep into the tournament that year until Geary hurt his knee. [/quote]

Oh yes, that great team that lost to Rider, South Carolina and UCF in a span of 4 days.

Steve mentioned that the 2007-08 team was really starting to put it together and had started off the Big Ten season 2-1 (two road wins) when Geary went down. I agree with Bruce - I think that team would have gone to the tournament.

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:2475"]Steve was on Jed's show from 7:30 - 8:00 this evening. Here are some interesting things Steve said in the back and forth with Jed.

Steve mentioned that the 2007-08 team was really starting to put it together and had started off the Big Ten season 2-1 (two road wins) when Geary went down. I agree with Bruce - I think that team would have gone to the tournament.

And wasn’t the one loss to Minny in a tight game that we probably should have won? I’m with you, I think we could have danced that season.

And wasn’t the one loss to Minny in a tight game that we probably should have won? I’m with you, I think we could have danced that season.

We blew a 15 point 2nd half lead to an average Minnesota team with 1st year coach Tubby Smith. I never buy this ‘we would’ve made the tourney’ fallacy.

We blew a 15 point 2nd half lead to an average Minnesota team with 1st year coach Tubby Smith. I never buy this ‘we would’ve made the tourney’ fallacy.

The lack of making free throws that game negates any ability of the opposing coach. We just couldn’t make a free throw, Tubby didn’t beat us. Tubby was coming off a stellar stint with Kentucky. It’s not like it was Ed Dechellis or at Chambers on the sideline for his first time.

I said “could have”, so I guess I’m not fully committed. But had we started out 3-0, like we should have. And Geary doesn’t go down…well, maybe we would have. But, we’ll never know.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2475”]5. Steve’s knowledge of PSU hoops is encyclopedic - he was spouting off names from 20 years ago that are only vaguely familiar to me.

1. Steve also mentioned that he and Dick Jerardi had an extended conversation with Pat in Philly on Saturday. I haven’t read anything from Dick about what he thought of the hire.[/quote]
    I was a freshman in '88. Steve was doing hoops even back then. Dude is hard-core hoops. He toiled for a long time before getting the football job. To me he’ll always be the hoops announcer who got promoted to football, not the football guy who also does hoops. TC can say what he wants about this being a special time because of the coach, but I would argue that there isn’t a better tandom out there toiling in radio than Steve and Dick.

I can’t wait to head Dick’s take. I’m sure the 2 go back pretty far.

[quote author=MarkH link=topic=2539.msg62056#msg62056 date=1307413665]

5. Steve's knowledge of PSU hoops is encyclopedic - he was spouting off names from 20 years ago that are only vaguely familiar to me.

I can’t wait to head Dick’s take. I’m sure the 2 go back pretty far.

I’m really interested in what Dick has to say, too.

Oh, one final thing I remembered - Steve said he thought Pat would be at the helm of PSU hoops for 15-20 years.

2005-06 - The NIT year. Philly got a lot of games thru Lehigh Valley’s channel 69 which is on the Comcast cable. Not so much through the effors of the athletic department, but more thorugfh the effors of one obscure PSU alum and passionate PSU hoops fan.

Yeah, that would be TJM78

Thanks for the recap. Interesting points on the possibility of 3 NCAA tournament teams in 4 years. That all could potentially have happened, but it illustrates that Penn State recruiting has left no margin for error over the years. MSU, Ohio State, or Purdue can deal a lot better with the loss of a key player. We lose a key player and the season is done.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2475”]Steve was on Jed’s show from 7:30 - 8:00 this evening. Here are some interesting things Steve said in the back and forth with Jed.

1. Jed asked about the increased commitment the University was showing to basketball. Steve said that was a tremendous misconception on the part of the fan base because Curley had always been a passionate supporter of the hoops program. Steve gave a “for instance” and talked about all the internet chatter about Ed having to fly commercial to make recruiting trips. Steve said Ed always had access to the university plane - he just didn’t like to fly in small planes[/quote]

Well this is one PSU BB myth/excuse that can be put to rest finally.

I would say Parkhill was being a shade optimistic in thinking the Claxton team was well on their way to a NCAA Tourney bid. They lost to Rider and Central Florida and had no decent nonconference wins.

I would say the Jarret Stephens injury more likely cost Dunn a NCAA Tournament bid back when Booth was a senior.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:14, topic:2475”]I would say Parkhill was being a shade optimistic in thinking the Claxton team was well on their way to a NCAA Tourney bid. They lost to Rider and Central Florida and had no decent nonconference wins.

I would say the Jarret Stephens injury more likely cost Dunn a NCAA Tournament bid back when Booth was a senior. [/quote]

Agree on both counts.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:14, topic:2475”]I would say Parkhill was being a shade optimistic in thinking the Claxton team was well on their way to a NCAA Tourney bid. They lost to Rider and Central Florida and had no decent nonconference wins.

I would say the Jarret Stephens injury more likely cost Dunn a NCAA Tournament bid back when Booth was a senior. [/quote]

Didn’t that team beat Seton Hall at least? Regardless, Bubby was a freshman, and his play really picked up by the time the conference schedule started. It might be a stretch to say “well on their way”. But the possibility can’t be ruled out.

1. Jed asked about the increased commitment the University was showing to basketball. Steve said that was a tremendous misconception on the part of the fan base because Curley had always been a passionate supporter of the hoops program. Steve gave a “for instance” and talked about all the internet chatter about Ed having to fly commercial to make recruiting trips. Steve said Ed always had access to the university plane - he just didn’t like to fly in small planes[/quote]

I’m not totally buying it yet. I’ll admit it’s a definite possibility but it seems a little convenient for this story to suddenly surface now.

I’m not totally buying it yet. I’ll admit it’s a definite possibility but it seems a little convenient for this story to suddenly surface now.

When else would it have surfaced? Not like I ever heard Steve ask ED about it on his weekly radio show. Some of this probably started because people saw ED flying commercial and assumed he wasn’t allowed to use the school plane.

I believe Steve Jones 100%. Steve has a genuine like for ED and wouldn’t refute the the rumor if it was not true.

When else would it have surfaced? Not like I ever heard Steve ask ED about it on his weekly radio show. Some of this probably started because people saw ED flying commercial and assumed he wasn’t allowed to use the school plane.

It could have surfaced any one of the dozen of times that ED flew with the team over the last eight years. With all the flights that he’s made on University planes, I’m a little surprised that we never once heard about his dislike for flying on the smaller ones.