PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Staten to WVU

Preferably PennLive

Deadwood is back to sleeping giant status.

LOL

My guess is WVU offers better toilets and Klondike bars… That’s what really seems to matter to him

Frank Drebin in Deadwood

Guess not. Considering the kid was clearly lured here by the past coach (not the school) and was already set on looking elsewhere before Chambers was even hired.

Frank, I can honestly sympathize with your disappointment to a certain extent. Personally, I was an Ed DeChellis fan, and I wanted him to stay. I also was excited to see Staten come here. He would have easily been the highest-rated prospect to come here in my lifetime, and, the father issues aside, he seems like a really nice, intelligent kid.

Now with that said, are you not willing to give Chambers a chance before turning sour on him? Give him time. See what he can do before becoming overly critical. He was willing to step into a job that a lot of media types have characterized as a career-killer. If nothing else, I’m grateful that he’s willing to give us a chance when a lot of other coaches would probably scoff at the idea of coming to Happy Valley.

And in the interest of being fair, you might want to note that Chambers is actually 3-4, not 0-1. Alexis, Ackerman and Lewis are all sticking around. So as far as recruits/transfers go, he’s batting .750. Not too shabby, IMHO.

[quote="Locksmith"]Sounds like Chambers contacted all the recruits and returning players Friday. Guess his panache couldnt match Huggins. 0-1[/quote]

It’s not really fair to Chambers, because Staten seemed to make up his mind as soon as Ed resigned. He wasn’t transferring here.

[quote="Locksmith"]Sounds like Chambers contacted all the recruits and returning players Friday. Guess his panache couldnt match Huggins. 0-1[/quote]

Frank, I can honestly sympathize with your disappointment to a certain extent. Personally, I was an Ed DeChellis fan, and I wanted him to stay. I also was excited to see Staten come here. He would have easily been the highest-rated prospect to come here in my lifetime, and, the father issues aside, he seems like a really nice, intelligent kid.

Now with that said, are you not willing to give Chambers a chance before turning sour on him? Give him time. See what he can do before becoming overly critical. He was willing to step into a job that a lot of media types have characterized as a career-killer. If nothing else, I’m grateful that he’s willing to give us a chance when a lot of other coaches would probably scoff at the idea of coming to Happy Valley.

And in the interest of being fair, you might want to note that Chambers is actually 3-4, not 0-1. Alexis, Ackerman and Lewis are all sticking around. So as far as recruits/transfers go, he’s batting .750. Not too shabby, IMHO.

5-6. Travis and Glover aren’t going anywhere either.

I’m more interested to see where we’re at next year this time in terms of guys currently on the roster. I will not be surprised to see a mass exodus take place next season, it’s just the nature of coaching changes. Right now everybody is saying the right things and giving this a go, but if you wind up not liking the coach or his style of running things you are probably going to try somewhere else.

Let’s hope he is a hit with the fans and the players alike, but I will not be getting too attached to anybody in a transition year like this. Learned my lesson at this point. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:30, topic:2459”]I’m more interested to see where we’re at next year this time in terms of guys currently on the roster. I will not be surprised to see a mass exodus take place next season, it’s just the nature of coaching changes. Right now everybody is saying the right things and giving this a go, but if you wind up not liking the coach or his style of running things you are probably going to try somewhere else.

Let’s hope he is a hit with the fans and the players alike, but I will not be getting too attached to anybody in a transition year like this. Learned my lesson at this point. :)[/quote]

Mass exodus? I hope not. We have one ship open now and another after next season. I’d hate for us to fall behind on the recruiting trail by having to replace players in the spring period. If one or two players transfer, I wouldn’t be surprised or upset. That’s almost normal these days. And would give PC more flexibility in building “his” program. But a mass exodus would disappoint me.

I fully expect to see players “leave” the program and free up scholarships. Mark it down that conversations will be had in which certain individuals will be advised on their playing prospects at PSU and suggested they look elsewhere.

I would expect we would see some turnover in the next year. What is it, most programs lose 1 a year during normal times? In a changeover, seems the chances are good that someone on the team will decide it’s not for them.

Probably won’t be Tre Bowman…there’s a YDR article today (though I can’t find it now) talking about how Bowman really liked Chambers when BU recruited him, but didn’t want to go that far from home.

On the football boards, they are already predicting doom for Chambers because he has already lost a Top-100 prospect in Staten.

That prediction could have a little bit of credibility if it were remotely true.

[quote="psubball, post:32, topic:2459"]I fully expect to see players "leave" the program and free up scholarships. Mark it down that conversations will be had in which certain individuals will be advised on their playing prospects at PSU and suggested they look elsewhere.[/quote]

I would expect we would see some turnover in the next year. What is it, most programs lose 1 a year during normal times? In a changeover, seems the chances are good that someone on the team will decide it’s not for them.

Totally agree!

Chambers is quoted as saying “They should be recruiting different players”…and then you link an article saying how Bowman liked Chambers when BU recruited him. There is an obvious connection there.