Stat of the game, turnovers: PSU 19, Wisconsin 5

Babb played much better, but he went quiet during the Wisky comeback.

Edwards played better with 9 points and 8 rebounds, but still had 5 turnovers

Frazier didn’t play much which might have been a mistake. Needed his quickness on defense when Wisky came back by hitting 3 pt shots. Also needed to give Battle a 2 minute blow IMO.

Zero points from Jones or Brooks

For the record, Edwards had 6 turnovers. While his 9 point contribution was a nice sight, his 6 offensive turnovers and some defensive lapses, at least IMO neutralized his offensive scoring contributions.
He is a true freshman, he shows promise and I yearn and look forward to his maturation when he becomes more fundamentaly sound.

[quote=“Duff, post:2, topic:729”]For the record, Edwards had 6 turnovers. While his 9 point contribution was a nice sight, his 6 offensive turnovers and some defensive lapses, at least IMO neutralized his offensive scoring contributions.
He is a true freshman, he shows promise and I yearn and look forward to his maturation when he becomes more fundamentaly sound.[/quote]

Agreed, while Edwards finished a few more shots today, I still don’t think he should be playing 37 minutes to Brooks’ 9. Edwards TOs kill the team and he’s a poor defender.

That said, Bill did finish a few shots around the hoop today, which was good to see. I’m convinced with a year of the PSU strength program, he could be a pretty solid 3 for us.

For the record, Edwards had 6 turnovers. While his 9 point contribution was a nice sight, his 6 offensive turnovers and some defensive lapses, at least IMO neutralized his offensive scoring contributions. He is a true freshman, he shows promise and I yearn and look forward to his maturation when he becomes more fundamentaly sound.

Agreed, while Edwards finished a few more shots today, I still don’t think he should be playing 37 minutes to Brooks’ 9. Edwards TOs kill the team and he’s a poor defender.

That said, Bill did finish a few shots around the hoop today, which was good to see. I’m convinced with a year of the PSU strength program, he could be a pretty solid 3 for us.

How can you possibly say Brooks should get more minutes, reducing Edwards minutes? After almost 3 years, isn’t it time to try something else? If Ed has one glaring fault, it’s sticking with what isn’t working too long. Edwards was sloppy with the ball, but he’s not lost out there, and never disappears. I’d give Jones’ minutes to Sasa. Why not? Give it a try. You can’t get worse than zero points and 1 rebound in 16 minutes. It’s next to impossible.

You cay say Brooks should get more minutes because in 9 minutes today he had 4 rebounds. Everybody has their role on the team, and maybe Brooks is starting to realize he needs to rebound the ball and come in and play smart basketball. If he can go in there and play down low and get rebounds then I think he would definitely warrant more than 9 minutes.

Brooks played OK today, definitely deserved a few more minutes of run time for Edwards. Edwards has promise, but defense and TO’s negate some of his offense. I would think more like 20-25 minutes for Edwards is the right amount. Don’t understand why Frazier didn’t get a longer run either. Especially when PSU was up by 12+ early in the 2nd half. That is the time where Ed has to steal 2 or 3 minutes into a TV TO for Battle. I also like Frazier/Battle/Babb lineup when Wiscy went small. Ed’s rotation just doesn’t seem to have any rhyme or rhythm to it.

This is my #1 DeChellis complaint. It’s been perplexing his whole tenure. This is nothing new.

I guess I’m one of the few who actually likes Ed’s lineups.

I think he has consistently sent the message that if you practice well, you’ll see the floor. With the exception of a few guys, you earn your minutes during practice.

I like it.

I don’t have a problem with his lineups until “winning” time. I always like to see your five $$ players on the floor the last 7-10 minutes. I’m not sure ED knows who those players are yet. But who could blame him. No one (with the exception of Battle) is really consistent enough to be counted upon. Like the IU game for instance, Cam doesn’t play the whole game. Suddenly for some reason, ED puts him in in crutch time, and calls set plays for him to get open 3 looks. Strange move.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:8, topic:729”]I guess I’m one of the few who actually likes Ed’s lineups.

I think he has consistently sent the message that if you practice well, you’ll see the floor. With the exception of a few guys, you earn your minutes during practice.

I like it. [/quote]

I’m with you, and regarding Brooks, he’s played over 90 games. Isn’t that enough time for Ed to make some changes? I like Babb, Edwards, Ott, Battle and DJ, at least I did yesterday. I would like to see some Sasa, but not starting. To me on Frazier, he seems a bit tight. Yesterday, he threw a pass away after he was in all of 10 seconds. As it was pretty sloppy, maybe Ed cut him short.

I agree about Frazier. He looks super tight! I call it the freshmen jitters. I think he (along with Edwards) are going to be good players down the road. I think the freshmen that tend to be immediate impacts are not only talented, but also poised. The one thing I’ll say about Edwards is that no matter how many bonehead TO’s he makes, he never looks like he has lost his composure.

Composure…interesting choice of words. I, for one, would to see him show more “anger” or “upsetness.” Then maybe he would work to avoid future turnovers.
BUT it’s clear Edwards and Frazier are on the Freshman learning curve. Most kids with talent slide off of it in time.

OK I am going to hang myself out there for future abuse. I think EDWARDS will become a terrific player by his junior year. In fact, I think we will see Edwards become one of the better forwards we have seen at PSU. Not the best, but top 4.

So let’s see, Geary Claxton, Titus Ivory (perhaps a guard), Glenn Sekunda, Deron Hayes, and that’s just the last 20 years. I sure hope you are talking about only small forwards because I have a longer list of big forwards from just the last 20 or so years. I’d be thrilled if Edwards was as good as any.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:8, topic:729”]I guess I’m one of the few who actually likes Ed’s lineups.

I like it. [/quote]

So I guess Jones and Brooks are not practicing as well all of the sudden. ???

DeRon Hayes
Glenn Sekunda
Tom Hovasse
Jarrett Stephens
Geary Claxton
Ron Brown
Carver Clinton
Gyasi Cline-Heard
James Barnes
Steve Kuhn

Of the above, except for Gyasi, my first impression was probably higher than my impression of Bill, and Gyasi would have been equal to Bill.
I’m not knocking B.E. just saying right now, I don’t think he will be in their company.
Top 4, HMMM. Hope your right, if you are we got some great BB in front of us from #11.

OK I am going to hang myself out there for future abuse. I think EDWARDS will become a terrific player by his junior year. In fact, I think we will see Edwards become one of the better forwards we have seen at PSU. Not the best, but top 4.

DeRon Hayes
Glenn Sekunda
Tom Hovasse
Jarrett Stephens
Geary Claxton
Ron Brown
Carver Clinton
Gyasi Cline-Heard
James Barnes
Steve Kuhn

Of the above, except for Gyasi, my first impression was probably higher than my impression of Bill, and Gyasi would have been equal to Bill.
I’m not knocking B.E. just saying right now, I don’t think he will be in their company.
Top 4, HMMM. Hope your right, if you are we got some great BB in front of us from #11.

Can I get some love for Jamelle Cornley?!?!

Matt Gaudio anybody?

Or the other #11 - Travis Parker. Parker is who I most envision Edwards becoming - seem to have similiar skill sets.

BE has the skills (shot,handle,size,toughness) to become one of the best.
I think the staff sees that too.

I agree that right now some of the skills (handle) are still works in process.

There’s a lot of hard work ahead.