Starting rotation set for friday

According to Ed today we’ll see the same starting 5 that we saw friday plus Woodyard,Ott, and Fraizer. Woodyard is the only suprise I think, just based off of him never really putting up great numbers, but then again I’m not sure who I’d put in over him. I think our starting 5 have potential as long as Brooks plays within his game the shots are falling, but that’s pretty much bball 101…dont hit your shots and you aren’t going to win.

I am disappointed we’re not going to see Sasa or Oliver. Those guys looked intriguing. Same for Highberger.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:207"]According to Ed today we'll see the same starting 5 that we saw friday plus Woodyard,Ott, and Fraizer. Woodyard is the only suprise I think, just based off of him never really putting up great numbers, but then again I'm not sure who I'd put in over him. I think our starting 5 have potential as long as Brooks plays within his game the shots are falling, but that's pretty much bball 101..dont hit your shots and you aren't going to win.[/quote]

I am disappointed we’re not going to see Sasa or Oliver. Those guys looked intriguing. Same for Highberger.

Yeah, Oliver has been having headaches from practicing so I think he is still behind the curve even though he played decent against the rock. Sasa looks good too but is still a little behind. I wouldn’t be suprised to see them later on but I think they need some more work before they’ll get time. Ed did say that the rest of the time was up for grabs so they could still be in the mix on friday.

Edwards has a chance to unseat Woodyard for the sixth man slot once he gets healthy.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:207"]According to Ed today we'll see the same starting 5 that we saw friday plus Woodyard,Ott, and Fraizer. Woodyard is the only suprise I think, just based off of him never really putting up great numbers, but then again I'm not sure who I'd put in over him. I think our starting 5 have potential as long as Brooks plays within his game the shots are falling, but that's pretty much bball 101..dont hit your shots and you aren't going to win.[/quote]

Hopefully, we’ll see both (or even all three) of them when we get a comfortable lead.

Edwards has a chance to unseat Woodyard for the sixth man slot once he gets healthy.

No offense to Woodyard but from all the talking up Edwards has had this preseason I would expect him to do that.

Heres the scout video…
Penn State Basketball Test

Does that mean we WON’T see the other guys, or simply the main rotation will be those 8?

The exact quote:
“Will see Friday starters plus Woodyard, Frazier then Ott and the other minutes up for grabs”

So I imagine depending on how the game is going we should see a few of the other guys.

I would be surprised if ED goes much deeper than 8. His track record shows he doesn’t go too much further down the bench. Since 00/01 season ED has had a low of 7 guys avg > 10mins and a high of 10. 10 being the year Claxton got hurt. It seems that when all is ideal he stays at 9. Other guys had minutes but I used 10 mpg as my cut off to determine depth. It might be a little high.

So it goes:

F - Jones
F - Jackson
F - Brooks
G - Battle
G - Babb

Backups that play:
F - Sasa
F - Edwards
G - Frazier
G - Woodyard

And at times playing with 3 guards (Battle, Babb and Frazier/Woodyard)? Who would be the 2 forwards in that case, Jackson and Jones? I haven’t really thought about the lineup until this point so I might be a little out of the loop with the forward rotation.

[quote=“noobd, post:11, topic:207”]So it goes:

F - Jones
F - Jackson
F - Brooks
G - Battle
G - Babb

Backups that play:
F - Sasa
F - Edwards
G - Frazier
G - Woodyard

And at times playing with 3 guards (Battle, Babb and Frazier/Woodyard)? Who would be the 2 forwards in that case, Jackson and Jones? I haven’t really thought about the lineup until this point so I might be a little out of the loop with the forward rotation.[/quote]

No Ott? Based on what Ed said, it looks like Sasa’s out, to fight for minutes.

[quote=“noobd, post:11, topic:207”]So it goes:

F - Jones
F - Jackson
F - Brooks
G - Battle
G - Babb

Backups that play:
F - Sasa
F - Edwards
G - Frazier
G - Woodyard

And at times playing with 3 guards (Battle, Babb and Frazier/Woodyard)? Who would be the 2 forwards in that case, Jackson and Jones? I haven’t really thought about the lineup until this point so I might be a little out of the loop with the forward rotation.[/quote]

Here’s how I think it will work.

Assuming they go with the same rotation as before, and I think that’s likely, Woodyard will be the first off the bench (perhaps around the second media time out) and he will come in at small forward. When he does, Brooks moves to power forward and Jackson comes out of the game. When Jackson comes back in (third media time out), he replaces Brooks at the power forward to give Jeff his blow.

Right around the same time as Jackson returns to the lineup, Frazier will come in at point guard, Battle moves over to shooting guard, and Babb sits. When Babb returns, Battle should get his rest, or if we haven’t established a lead, Woodyard probably goes back to the bench and Babb plays wing.

Somewhere in that general time frame (between the second and third media time outs), Ott will also come in to give Jones some rest.

Most likely around the five minute mark, we’ll be back to all five starters on the floor - and we’ll start the second half the same way.

Thanks Lar. Somehow I forgot the almighty Ottzilla. He will be a dominant factor as always.

I like Woodyard. He always seems smooth to me. He can hit the three and has good size. Maybe he takes advantage of this opportunity and stays in the rotation.

The thing that stuck in my head with Cam from the exhibition is how he looked a lot better on defense.

That said, i don’t think we have enough firepower to consisently stay with the upper half of the Big 10. Drew seems too inconsistent inside, and Babb’s shot seems a lot less reliable than Stan’s…

[quote=“NYJJared, post:16, topic:207”]The thing that stuck in my head with Cam from the exhibition is how he looked a lot better on defense.

That said, i don’t think we have enough firepower to consisently stay with the upper half of the Big 10. Drew seems too inconsistent inside, and Babb’s shot seems a lot less reliable than Stan’s…[/quote]

You won’t find many shooters as reliable as Pringle. 45% from three is always tough to replace especially when you consider that he took 160.

[quote="NYJJared, post:16, topic:207"]The thing that stuck in my head with Cam from the exhibition is how he looked a lot better on defense.

That said, i don’t think we have enough firepower to consisently stay with the upper half of the Big 10. Drew seems too inconsistent inside, and Babb’s shot seems a lot less reliable than Stan’s…[/quote]

You won’t find many shooters as reliable as Pringle. 45% from three is always tough to replace especially when you consider that he took 160.

True, but I think we will have an overall upgrade with Babb, Woodyard and Edwards over Pringle and Morrissey. Probably not by percentage, but by overall effectiveness. Just my preseason opinion. It’s hard to replace the experience of a 5th year senior, but I think Woodyard could fill Morrissey’s role. He’s taller and has to be more athletic. And from what I’ve seen is a pretty smooth shooter from the arc. If he can stay with his man on defense, he could see a lot of minutes – especially if Babb’s shot isn’t falling.

Hard to believe how much our own fans underestimate how good Pringle was last year.

[quote="mjg, post:18, topic:207"][b]True, but I think we will have an overall upgrade with Babb, Woodyard and Edwards over Pringle and Morrissey[/b]. Probably not by percentage, but by overall effectiveness. Just my preseason opinion. It's hard to replace the experience of a 5th year senior, but I think Woodyard could fill Morrissey's role. He's taller and has to be more athletic. And from what I've seen is a pretty smooth shooter from the arc. If he can stay with his man on defense, he could see a lot of minutes -- especially if Babb's shot isn't falling.[/quote]

Hard to believe how much our own fans underestimate how good Pringle was last year.

I’m not intending to undervalue Pringle. I just think that those three guys combined will be better than Pringle and Morrissey combined. All three are taller than Stan and Dan, athletic, and can shoot. I’ll be the first to admit I’m on a limb and could very well be wrong. But I hope I’m not.