Starting Lineup Scoring

For the most part I think that we can agree that the most resonable starting lineup to start the season would be: Talor,Babb,Jones,Jackson,and Brooks (Brooks might be in and out)…or lets just assume that is the starting lineup. It’s safe to say Talor will lead the team in scoring, and I think that if Jones starts out the season where he ended (10 ppg in the last 5 games) that he might have the number two spot filled in. Babb had a chance to really pick up his game and fill Stanley’s spot as a 3 point shooter. That leaves Jackson and Brooks. On average, what do you think each of these 5 guys need to score to have a chance at winning games?

Battle - 16.9
Babb - 7.6
Jackson - 8.4
Brooks - 6.6
Jones - 10.3

Frazier - 4.7
Woodyard - 2.3
Edwards - 6.4
Oliver - 3.1
Ott - 1.9

I think 8 or 9 guys could see 10+ minutes per game and i’m gonna go out on a limb and say Marshall and Sasha both redshirt. I understand no one else thinks Marshall and Sasha will redshirt and I don’t think they both ultimately will but it would help balance out the scholarship distribution if we had three freshman in 2010 instead of one. Hopefully, my inane predictions mean Sasha averages 8 and 8 and Marshall plays 25 min/gm and averages 7 points. ???

I think this is premature. Sasa is the wildcard. Need more info on his pre-season form. Was very high on him(and even bet on it) but now, unsure. I don’t doubt his ability to score, but if his D is non-existent, he might have trouble playing. His brother was pretty good playing for a world class team, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

I agree its too early. Regarding Sasa, I think the smart move is to redshirt him unless he is significantly better than Ott and Oliver. We have four other guys who can definitely play in the post (Ott, Oliver, Jones, and Jackson, edit and Brooks) and another possibility in Edwards. Sasa will be much more valuable in his fifth year than his first. I think we had this same discussion with Andrew several years ago. I am overjoyed that we redshirted him.

Based on current information I think our best team will be:

Battle
Frazier
Babb
Jackson
Jones

with a breakneck pace.

*edit I completely forgot about Brooks for a minute.

Does Sasa want a red-shirt? He is 20 years now. Plus he is a long way from home.

He was such a scoring machine in HS, vs. some very good teams, e.g., Oak Hill and Patterson(?). Oak Hill was #1 I think, or at least in top 5 nationally. Patterson has alums like Jeremy Hazell of Seton Hall, who led Big East in scoring this year. Oak Hill had Carmelo Anthony, Jerry Stackhouse, Rajon Rondo, to name a few. To try to insure I had the right name in Patterson, I checked the Veritas Christian website, but they don’t have them on the sked this year, but look at this note from the coach:

COLLEGE SCOUTS: PLEASE CALL AHEAD TO CONFIRM THE TIME OF YOUR VISIT. IN SPECIAL CASES, FOR INSTANCE, IF YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO BE IN OUR AREA ON A CERTAIN DATE, WE MAY BE ABLE TO RESCHEDULE PRACTICE FOR ANOTHER DAY, BUT IT MAY REQUIRE A 6:00 AM WORKOUT.

Looks like a pretty serious program. I can’t see a redshirt. While he might not be able to play D, he has to be able to score. Oak Hill had Tiny Gallon, 6’9", 296lbs., and Sasa had 33 vs. them. Gallon was ranked #9 by rivals, #2 center, and is now at Oklahoma.

Maybe we’ll play Sasa and just try to outscore everyone! Who needs defense?! :smiley:

Does Sasa want a red-shirt? He is 20 years now. Plus he is a long way from home.

He was such a scoring machine in HS, vs. some very good teams, e.g., Oak Hill and Patterson(?). Oak Hill was #1 I think, or at least in top 5 nationally. Patterson has alums like Jeremy Hazell of Seton Hall, who led Big East in scoring this year. Oak Hill had Carmelo Anthony, Jerry Stackhouse, Rajon Rondo, to name a few. To try to insure I had the right name in Patterson, I checked the Veritas Christian website, but they don’t have them on the sked this year, but look at this note from the coach:

COLLEGE SCOUTS: PLEASE CALL AHEAD TO CONFIRM THE TIME OF YOUR VISIT. IN SPECIAL CASES, FOR INSTANCE, IF YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO BE IN OUR AREA ON A CERTAIN DATE, WE MAY BE ABLE TO RESCHEDULE PRACTICE FOR ANOTHER DAY, BUT IT MAY REQUIRE A 6:00 AM WORKOUT.

Looks like a pretty serious program. I can’t see a redshirt. While he might not be able to play D, he has to be able to score. Oak Hill had Tiny Gallon, 6’9", 296lbs., and Sasa had 33 vs. them. Gallon was ranked #9 by rivals, #2 center, and is now at Oklahoma.

I watched many/all of Veritas’s films which were attached in a prior thread. I saw one Oak Hill/Veritas game, maybe two. I remember Oak Hill did not play much ,if any, defense. Oak Hill usually has 10 kids trying to impress scouts. I have seen Gallon a couple of times. I am not a fan. Huge/Big time body with good explosion (see…Tractor Traylor) but loafs most of the time on the court. He is already counting his NBA dollars and thus did not seem motivated.
But, your point is valid that Veritas is a pretty big time program and I would think Sasa would have received good training with quality competition. We will see how he does at the Big Ten11 level.

At least he brings some scoring. It’s not exactly like Ott is Nate Thurmond. :wink:

[quote="psugrad83, post:7, topic:84"]Maybe we'll play Sasa and just try to outscore everyone! Who needs defense?! :D[/quote]

At least he brings some scoring. It’s not exactly like Ott is Nate Thurmond. :wink:

He doesn’t have to be the best defender to see the floor. As long as he’s not totally lost, his offense might be enough to offset any liability.

I hope Sasa can provide offense at this level. But, it is not a “given.” We will see. On film he has solid ball skills…but he does appear slow footed and has little lift. I repeat. We will see. The preseason is getting close.

Jeff Ruland had little lift. I remember when he took Iona vs. #1 ranked and eventual NCAA winner Louisville, at MSG. Ruland had 35, and Louisville had Darrell Griffith, a 1st team All American. One of the most incredible performances I’ve ever seen. Ruland dominate, Iona was up by at least 30, then Louisville woke up, and closed to within 10 as Iona panicked, but hung on. Iona was not even in top 25 at the time, probably not top 50.

Ruland was indeed a wonderful offensive player. Remember Ruland and MaHorn were McMean and McNasty with the Nets. They didn’t play high BUT they sure played WIDE! Good memories.

I didn’t say Sasa couldn’t be a good offensive player at the BigTen11 level I said “we will see.”

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:84”]Ruland was indeed a wonderful offensive player. Remember Ruland and MaHorn were McMean and McNasty with the Nets. They didn’t play high BUT they sure played WIDE! Good memories.

I didn’t say Sasa couldn’t be a good offensive player at the BigTen11 level I said “we will see.”[/quote]

I know, just hopin’. Look at his stats in the '83/84 season and playoffs.

‘In the 1983-84 season, Ruland surged to 22 points and four assists per game. He was third in the NBA in rebounds and fifth in shooting from the floor. The team returned to playoffs and again lost to Boston. Ruland averaged 24 points, 13 rebounds, 8 assists, 52% from the floor and 81% from the foul line against the eventual NBA champions’.

He basically was the guy behind Jim Valvano getting the NC state job.

Thanks Kid. I had forgotten how good a passer Ruland was and how good a FreeThrow shooter he was. He had great “hands” for such a muscle guy.

One more thing. High flyers did NOT “High Fly” around McMean and McNasty. If you did…well…It was a long game and they had long memories and 12 fouls between them. Thus High Flyers usually ended up about in the 10th row of the fans!

Hey, if Sasa can score 15 or so a game he would, most likely, be significantly better than Ott and Oliver. I didn’t realize he was already 20. That does complicate things a little.

Still I worry a great deal about defense. I would hate for Andrew to have to pick up cheap fouls rotating to another player’s man. We will really need him on the court this year.

[quote=“laoDan, post:17, topic:84”]Hey, if Sasa can score 15 or so a game he would, most likely, be significantly better than Ott and Oliver. I didn’t realize he was already 20. That does complicate things a little.

Still I worry a great deal about defense. I would hate for Andrew to have to pick up cheap fouls rotating to another player’s man. We will really need him on the court this year.[/quote]

Good point. Sasa may only be able to play in 2 guard offense, like with Andrew and DJ. That way, he gives you the scoring, but is helped on D. In 3 guard offense, Andrew would foul out in 1st half covering for him.

Good point lao! Andrew’s fouls (or lack of) will be a big issue this season. Hopefully with maturity and experience Andrew can avoid fouls and stay on the court longer.

Gotta love the Thurmond and Ruland nostalgia!