Start recruiting basketball players!

While many on here state that our recruiting has improved I just don’t see it. We are getting better athletes, yes. But not better basketball players. We seem to pass the eyeball test in warmups more than ever before, but most of our guys just don’t seem to understand the game. Look at Wiscy, we probably have better athletes at every position, but they just understand how to play together and win. I’m pretty sure most of Bo Ryan’s guys are not highly recuited either. They either understand the game before they get there, or he molds them into the player he wants them to be. The thing is Ryan has a system and sticks to it. I don’t ED knows what type of team he wants to be YET in his 7th season. To me, you need a system and recruit kids that will fit that system.

I agree, basketball players over athletes. I think NU may be better example. Bo has some kids, like Bohannan, who was rated a 4 star. I think Leuer too, and Hughes. That said, I don’t think they were highly recruited, probably because they weren’t athletic except for Hughes. NU’s Coble and Shurna were 3 star players, neither very athletic. Shurna is the epitome of a non-athletic terrific player. He can barely run, but he sure can play. He’s the best back to the basket player on that team. Posts up bunches of times per game, with limited ups, not very strong, but a very good handle.

I’ve mentioned this before, we should get unathletic frontcourt players, but with good skills. Two years ago, Finley on Princeton schooled us, with 14 points, all on back to the basket moves. Cornley was on him, and Finley kind of ate him up. He’s still at Princeton, and he is 7th or 8th man, yet, he’d start here, IMO. JLove on Xavier is killing it. He was HS teammate of Andrew Jones, same year, though JLove didn’t redshirt. PSU shouldn’t be beaten by Xavier in recruiting kids. Yes, I know, the legacy, but if you can’t outrecruit the A10, quit the Big 10. I get ill when I watch NU, with freshmen Crawford and Marcotullio, and sophs Shurna and Mirkovic. And next year, Coble’s back. Oy. Of those 5 guys, only Crawford is athletic, but the others are skilled and smart.

Buie will help, and IMO, will start. Tough like Talor, and that will help some.

I dont think that anybody could argue with your logic H.C.

[quote="danlauver, post:1, topic:672"]Well many on here state that our recruiting has improved I just don't see it. We are getting better athletes, yes. But not better basketball players. We seem to pass the eyeball test in warmups more than ever before in warmups, but most of our guys just don't seem to understand the game. Look at Wiscy, we probably have better athletes at every position, but they just understand how to play together and win. I'm pretty sure most of Bo Ryan's guys are not highly recuited either. They either understand the game before they get there, or he molds them into the player he wants them to be. The thing is Ryan has a system and sticks to it. I don't ED knows what type of team he wants to be YET. To me, you need a system and recruit kids that will fit that system.[/quote]

I agree, basketball players over athletes. I think NU may be better example. Bo has some kids, like Bohannan, who was rated a 4 star. I think Leuer too, and Hughes. That said, I don’t think they were highly recruited, probably because they weren’t athletic except for Hughes. NU’s Coble and Shurna were 3 star players, neither very athletic. Shurna is the epitome of a non-athletic terrific player. He can barely run, but he sure can play. He’s the best back to the basket player on that team. Posts up bunches of times per game, with limited ups, not very strong, but a very good handle.

I’ve mentioned this before, we should get unathletic frontcourt players, but with good skills. Two years ago, Finley on Princeton schooled us, with 14 points, all on back to the basket moves. Cornley was on him, and Finley kind of ate him up. He’s still at Princeton, and he is 7th or 8th man, yet, he’d start here, IMO. JLove on Xavier is killing it. He was HS teammate of Andrew Jones, same year, though JLove didn’t redshirt. PSU shouldn’t be beaten by Xavier in recruiting kids. Yes, I know, the legacy, but if you can’t outrecruit the A10, quit the Big 10. I get ill when I watch NU, with freshmen Crawford and Marcotullio, and sophs Shurna and Mirkovic. And next year, Coble’s back. Oy. Of those 5 guys, only Crawford is athletic, but the others are skilled and smart.

I don’t mean to sound argumentative, but weren’t you praising the “skills” of Sasa when he signed?

[quote="danlauver, post:1, topic:672"]Well many on here state that our recruiting has improved I just don't see it. We are getting better athletes, yes. But not better basketball players. We seem to pass the eyeball test in warmups more than ever before in warmups, but most of our guys just don't seem to understand the game. Look at Wiscy, we probably have better athletes at every position, but they just understand how to play together and win. I'm pretty sure most of Bo Ryan's guys are not highly recuited either. They either understand the game before they get there, or he molds them into the player he wants them to be. The thing is Ryan has a system and sticks to it. I don't ED knows what type of team he wants to be YET. To me, you need a system and recruit kids that will fit that system.[/quote]

I don’t mean to sound argumentative, but weren’t you praising the “skills” of Sasa when he signed?

Yes, I was hopeful, and after finally seeing him play, was a bit disappointed in his foot speed. Still, I think he has the best post game on the team. His D looked pretty bad, so we’d have to play 1-3-1 with him in, but Northwestern plays it, and they do okay. He plays with his back to the basket much more than the others. That’s half the battle. If you ever see high post play, that’s not so the high post player can score, but to receive and distribute the ball. That’s usually done with players who can’t score down low. Mirkovic does a bunch of this, then looks for kickouts and back door runs. I haven’t seen us ever do that. Why can’t Jones do that, as it also takes the opposing center away from the basket?

You still need coaches to do the in game coaching and and we seem to be lacking in that dept.

Ed has always seem to like “tweeners” that can play multiple positions. Some people say at PSU, you have to take what you can get, but I think Ed goes out of his way to find “versatile” players. You certainly need a few like that on every roster, but I believe PSU has too many. Starters should have a defined position. Let some of the back-ups be versatile.

Ed must have forgot to tell them to make their shots during the stretch v. Iowa when PSU shot 4 for 21. Bad job.

The knock on Jerry Dunn was that he would recruit guys that couldn’t play but fit the mold. I prefer tweeners who have game.

Pleassssssssssse Dan. Hasn’t the guy (Jerry Dunn) suffered enough. He is not the ONLY PSU hoop coach (Ed included) who has recruited guys who couldn’t play.

Yes, I was hopeful, and after finally seeing him play, was a bit disappointed in his foot speed. Still, I think he has the best post game on the team. His D looked pretty bad, so we’d have to play 1-3-1 with him in, but Northwestern plays it, and they do okay. He plays with his back to the basket much more than the others. That’s half the battle. If you ever see high post play, that’s not so the high post player can score, but to receive and distribute the ball. That’s usually done with players who can’t score down low. Mirkovic does a bunch of this, then looks for kickouts and back door runs. I haven’t seen us ever do that. Why can’t Jones do that, as it also takes the opposing center away from the basket?

The funny thing about this thread (and the PSU hoops funk) is that it brings everything around180 degrees.

I’ve said before, when things are going bad, people start to panic and blame the weirdest things. In the earlier part of the decade, all the football fans were going as far as to suggest that we need to take out the grass at Beaver Stadium and put in field turf.

Just 2 years ago… the exact opposite was being said. Mike Walker and Danny Morrissey were good players, but everyone was clamoring that DeChellis needs to get better athletes. Now, they want to abandon athletes for players.

I think they really want great athletes that are great players (and good students to be able to get in). Hopefully we can find a couple of McDonald’s All-Americans that the other top programs have all overlooked for some reason.

The funny thing about this thread (and the PSU hoops funk) is that it brings everything around180 degrees.

I’ve said before, when things are going bad, people start to panic and blame the weirdest things. In the earlier part of the decade, all the football fans were going as far as to suggest that we need to take out the grass at Beaver Stadium and put in field turf.

Just 2 years ago… the exact opposite was being said. Mike Walker and Danny Morrissey were good players, but everyone was clamoring that DeChellis needs to get better athletes. Now, they want to abandon athletes for players.

I think they really want great athletes that are great players (and good students to be able to get in). Hopefully we can find a couple of McDonald’s All-Americans that the other top programs have all overlooked for some reason.

This is a bit of hyperbole. What’s needed is some sort of post presence. Agreed that the athletes in the backcourt are better, but our frontcourt has regressed since a few years ago. I’d prefer Parker, or even HoJo, to any of our current guys.