PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Sports Bars near Palestra

Hello everyone . Looking for some help here I’m getting recommendations for sports bars near Palestra to get some pre/post game food & drinks . Looking for ones within walking distance . Thanks

4 Likes

I’d take the train downtown to Boxers.

I believe the Alumni Association is sponsoring something at the City Tap House, about 4-5 blocks from the Palestra.

1 Like

There’s one of those down the street from me in Boston! Terrific beer selection.

1 Like

If you’re focusing on walking distance, then City Tap House is probably the best spot. If you’re interested in other spots, there’s Landmark (34th and Market), New Deck Tavern (34th and Sansom), and Market Tavern (30th and Market) is another good place.

2 Likes

Is that after the game?

It will be packed for both but I believe the alumni function is pre-game.

2 Likes

Thanks for the helpful info !

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Penn plays Princeton at 7:00 after our game. Every bar within walking distance of the Palestra will be unmanageably mobbed late afternoon with PSU postgame crowd and that pregame crowd. I think you’re better off taking an Uber/Lyft a mile or two away. Local 44, Clarkville, and Dock St West Brewery are all good options just a bit further west that shouldn’t get much of the game(s) crowd. All have pretty good food. Locations are safe enough too. Or Uber the other direction over the river and tons of places to pick from and just a short ride.

3 Likes

The reason I go to road athletic events is to experience things just like this, not avoid them.

2 Likes

UncleLar makes a valkd point and that’s often the way I go about it. Hell, maybe I will on Saturday too. Just saying Philly is a big town with endless options at your fingertips if you want to get out and explore a bit. I’m thinking pregame with PSU crowd and postgame pending my mood at the time. Can’t wait for Saturday.

1 Like