Some things I have learned/seen in the tourney

that PSU needs to improve on GREATLY if there is any expectation of making the tourney next year:

1. Movement and spacing on offense. One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb as that all of the lower seeded tourney teams (talking 5 seed plus) is great spacing on offense and constant movement. The first round Ohio game was a clinic as that guard kept beating his man and there was nobody in the lane to challenge him when he did. When Battle broke down his guy, he usually ran into at least one, sometimes two other defenders in the lane. As for motion, PSU offense got better at the end of the year, but still is a LONG ways away. And it not just motion for motion’s sake, but motion with a purpose. Motion to set screens and picks, motion to move your defender away from the ball for a backdoor cut, etc…

2. Big man play. Watching the tourney made me realize how bad the play was at the 4/5 position this year for PSU. If PSU doesn’t develop at least one 4/5 player who can get the ball with his back to the basket in the post and at least make some semblance of a move to the basket, this team won’t be going anywhere next year either.

3. Defensive intensity. Let’s face it, defense is a whole lot about ‘wanting’ it, as much as athletic ability. Good hustle, good fundamentals, and smart team defense is what needs to happen. PSU wasn’t near it this year and better improve.

4. Lack of a ‘long’ athlete. Brooks should be this guy but isn’t. Every team needs that 6’-4" through 6’-8" athlete who can jump threw the roof and is uber athletic. The guys that can rebound, block some shots, finish in traffic. Geary Claxton type player.

Numbers 1 & 3 could be improved greatly through a decent coaching job. My issue is why would next year be any different from this year with the exact same staff and a lot of the same players. That concerns me greatly.

Number 2 the only hope is that Sasa hits the offseason really hard and adds some muscle and a little quickness and can at least keep the other team honest. I think if somebody could get it through Brook’s head that he is better off playing down low than on the wing, he could do it also, but I don’t see that happening.

Number 4, only if a Juco comes out of nowhere.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:1, topic:1020”]that PSU needs to improve on GREATLY if there is any expectation of making the tourney next year:

1. Movement and spacing on offense. One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb as that all of the lower seeded tourney teams (talking 5 seed plus) is great spacing on offense and constant movement. The first round Ohio game was a clinic as that guard kept beating his man and there was nobody in the lane to challenge him when he did. When Battle broke down his guy, he usually ran into at least one, sometimes two other defenders in the lane. As for motion, PSU offense got better at the end of the year, but still is a LONG ways away. And it not just motion for motion’s sake, but motion with a purpose. Motion to set screens and picks, motion to move your defender away from the ball for a backdoor cut, etc…

2. Big man play. Watching the tourney made me realize how bad the play was at the 4/5 position this year for PSU. If PSU doesn’t develop at least one 4/5 player who can get the ball with his back to the basket in the post and at least make some semblance of a move to the basket, this team won’t be going anywhere next year either.

3. Defensive intensity. Let’s face it, defense is a whole lot about ‘wanting’ it, as much as athletic ability. Good hustle, good fundamentals, and smart team defense is what needs to happen. PSU wasn’t near it this year and better improve.

4. Lack of a ‘long’ athlete. Brooks should be this guy but isn’t. Every team needs that 6’-4" through 6’-8" athlete who can jump threw the roof and is uber athletic. The guys that can rebound, block some shots, finish in traffic. Geary Claxton type player.

Numbers 1 & 3 could be improved greatly through a decent coaching job. My issue is why would next year be any different from this year with the exact same staff and a lot of the same players. That concerns me greatly.

Number 2 the only hope is that Sasa hits the offseason really hard and adds some muscle and a little quickness and can at least keep the other team honest. I think if somebody could get it through Brook’s head that he is better off playing down low than on the wing, he could do it also, but I don’t see that happening.

Number 4, only if a Juco comes out of nowhere.[/quote]
#5 A new coach with a fresh approach