PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Some room for improvement

An interesting article published on Black Shoes Diaries ranks Penn State’s sports programs according to their contribution to the Directors Cup. Simplistically, it just averages the points earned by each sport since the Director’s Cup program began in 1993.

Needless to say, the basketball program has lots of room to improve.

That’s very interesting… Certainly helps explain the perception of the program… I would really like to see something like that for just the last 10 years, or maybe 8.

…Actually, a rolling 4-year average might be best :wink:

[quote=“Slash, post:2, topic:2587”]That’s very interesting… Certainly helps explain the perception of the program… I would really like to see something like that for just the last 10 years, or maybe 8.

…Actually, a rolling 4-year average might be best ;)[/quote]

That was said sarcastically, but I thought of the same thing when looking at Penn State’s overall performance in the Director’s Cup. There is a chart at the end of the article on their final standing each year, and I was wondering what the 4-year rolling average would say about our recent history. Are we getting better or worse?

That's very interesting... Certainly helps explain the perception of the program... I would really like to see something like that for just the last 10 years, or maybe 8.

…Actually, a rolling 4-year average might be best :wink:

That was said sarcastically, but I thought of the same thing when looking at Penn State’s overall performance in the Director’s Cup. There is a chart at the end of the article on their final standing each year, and I was wondering what the 4-year rolling average would say about our recent history. Are we getting better or worse?

Here’s a better version of that chart. I’ve flipped the Y-axis so the better values are on top and added a linear trend line.

And a four year rolling average version. ;D

Once some of the coaches we’ve hired in the last two years get their programs established, I’d expect to see that trend line improve.

Isn’t that the expectation EVERY TIME we hire new caoches?

If you were to plot this on a map of the campus, you’d see a disproportionant amount of the points came from teams that play on the west side of campus. Maybe they should move back to Rec Hall. :wink:

IMO, the most surprising team on that chart is the Men’s Lacrosse team. I would think that being in the hotbed of lacrosse, and with the resources available, there would be much more success.

Boys lacrosse has only been a PIAA sport for two or three years, not what I would call a hotbed.

[quote="Skeeza, post:8, topic:2587"]IMO, the most surprising team on that chart is the Men's Lacrosse team. [b]I would think that being in the hotbed of lacrosse[/b], and with the resources available, there would be much more success.[/quote]

Boys lacrosse has only been a PIAA sport for two or three years, not what I would call a hotbed.

And PSU had a coach that was in full coast mode for at least the last 10 years to be generous.

[quote="Skeeza, post:8, topic:2587"]IMO, the most surprising team on that chart is the Men's Lacrosse team. [b]I would think that being in the hotbed of lacrosse[/b], and with the resources available, there would be much more success.[/quote]

PA is not THE BEST recruiting hotbed, but it is in a great area for the sport. Ouside of Maryland and New York, not many other states have state high school sanctioned leagues in lacrosse. There are many schools in PA that play (Haverford is one of the best in the nation), in states where Penn State carries a lot of influence (such as Del, MAryland, NY, etc) and PA itself is home to several Div-I college programs.

All-in-all, I am saying that having the Men’s Lacrosse listed as one of THE WORST performing sports at Penn State was quite surprising to me.