PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Some good tempo free analysis from a Wisky fan

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=7122279

In our wins at home over MSU, Illinois, Wiscy and Iowa, our opponents claim to have “shot poorly”. Was it poor shooting or was it good defense that caused our opponents to take tough shots? Sometimes you can’t hit the wide open shots; sometimes you’re forced to hit tough shots. Whatever - here’s hoping the BJC becomes known as the place where it’s tough to have a good shooting night.

Bunch of math crappulla! Like it’s NOT THEIR FAULT they lost but a roll of the dice. Crappulla!!

PSU outplayed (played better basketball) than Wisconsin…Especially in crunch time. Nuff said!

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1863”]Bunch of math crappulla! Like it’s NOT THEIR FAULT they lost but a roll of the dice. Crappulla!!

PSU outplayed (played better basketball) than Wisconsin…Especially in crunch time. Nuff said![/quote]

Isn’t that spelled “crapola?” Just asking. :wink:

Stat of the game: FT’s PSU 12-20, Wisky 2-3. That tells everything. Bo blamed it on poor shooting. He’s wrong. Wisky 6-20, PSU 6-17. Wisky didn’t lose at the arc. Taking it inside wins games. FTA’s tell who did that more often. We had 6 FTA’s in the 1st half, 14 in the second. It’s not the points at the line, it’s the shots you take that matter. Frazier’s driving layup, Battle’s layups, his hook shot, handoffs to AJ, AJ’s dunks, Jeff’s floaters. Wisky didn’t do any of that in the second half.

They did have about 3 good looks at crucial times that they missed near the end of the game.

On the other hand, we had a bunch of good looks at the beginning of the game that we just missed. Guess what - that’s part of the game.

People trying to “change a loss into a win” always only notice the few plays that didn’t go their way. The conveniently forget about all the other ones that came out good for them but that also could easily have gone the other way. I’m sure it relates to Tim’s perception study.

I thought that was great when I read it last night.

The guy echoed Bo’s thoughts after the game - he blamed it on shots falling. I also loved Bo dismantling a reporter’s question about Wisconsin not seeming to cut as hard as it did against Northwestern. Boom! Bo said Penn State was more athletic, longer, more experienced, so the comparison was not apropos! This is perception bias that you can see any time you read the out of town accounts. Sportwriters are supposed to be objective, but they tend to portray events the same way as fans.

So Penn State sees better team defense, Wisconsin sees less effort made on the cuts.

Bo is right. If a couple of those good looks they had fell, Wisconsin is in a better position to win. That’s not a claim about better or worse three point shooting than average or expectations, that’s just a fact.

Penn State was working the ball around using alot of clock for the good shot and played hard hustling defense . I think Bo Ryan just found out what its like to play Wisconsin at the Kolh center.