PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Some Glaring Stats

Hey, at least there’s some consistency, except for rebounding. Looks like a long way to 64, or is it 96? Now if it were 256…The good news? It’s still early.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/213/penn-state-nittany-lions

Check out some other Big 10 stats. Incredibly, IU and NW are 5th and 6th in shooting percentage nationally. And IU is in the 50’s in two other categories. Uh oh. Those 1st two games, IU and UM away, are looking tougher.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1656”]Hey, at least there’s some consistency, except for rebounding. Looks like a long way to 64, or is it 96? Now if it were 256…The good news? It’s still early.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/213/penn-state-nittany-lions

Check out some other Big 10 stats. Incredibly, IU and NW are 5th and 6th in shooting percentage nationally. And IU is in the 50’s in two other categories. Uh oh. Those 1st two games, IU and UM away, are looking tougher.[/quote]

Some of those numbers, specifically scoring and rebounding, are distorted because we play at one of the slowest paces in the country (specifically we are 320th in pace). Things look differently from a tempo-free perspective.

Our adjusted offensive efficiency is 107.2 or 71st in the country (better than both Michigan and Indiana).
Our offensive rebounding percentage is 35% or 108th in the country (better than both Michigan and Indiana).

Unfortunately, both Michigan and Indiana are better than us in the equivalent defensive measures.

OH lar, there you go again using made up statistics again to paint a better picture. :wink:

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1656"]Hey, at least there's some consistency, except for rebounding. Looks like a long way to 64, or is it 96? Now if it were 256.....The good news? It's still early.

Check out some other Big 10 stats. Incredibly, IU and NW are 5th and 6th in shooting percentage nationally. And IU is in the 50’s in two other categories. Uh oh. Those 1st two games, IU and UM away, are looking tougher.[/quote]

Some of those numbers, specifically scoring and rebounding, are distorted because we play at one of the slowest paces in the country (specifically we are 320th in pace). Things look differently from a tempo-free perspective.

Our adjusted offensive efficiency is 107.2 or 71st in the country (better than both Michigan and Indiana).
Our offensive rebounding percentage is 35% or 108th in the country (better than both Michigan and Indiana).

Unfortunately, both Michigan and Indiana are better than us in the equivalent defensive measures.

Makes sense. That’s a little relief. But on pace, I think I brought this up before, are we slow because we don’t break enough, or because once forced into the halfcourt we struggle to get a shot within a reasonable time? Teams like Wisky and NW are great in the halfcourt and while both seem quicker than their prior clubs, forced into the halfcourt, they are much quicker to get a shot, and seem much more organized in its execution, and they don’t waste the clock, especially NW. They seem to do layups and 3’s. We have a mishmash of shots, many times bailed out by a 3 or Talor driving.

On a non-tempo stat, they kill us on shooting percentage, which might be due to breaking, and I haven’t seen IU play, but NW is getting halfcourt layups. Shurna’s on highlights all the time with dunks, Crawford a bunch too.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1656”]Hey, at least there’s some consistency, except for rebounding. Looks like a long way to 64, or is it 96? Now if it were 256…The good news? It’s still early.

Have you seen their OOC schedules? They are some of the worst possible. Outside of the BT/ACC challenge (and Indiana’s game against Kentucky) the rest is really, really bad.

BTW… I saw that NWstern’s schedule has 28 games, and Indiana has 30. Does anyone know why they are different?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1656"]Hey, at least there's some consistency, except for rebounding. Looks like a long way to 64, or is it 96? Now if it were 256.....The good news? It's still early.

Have you seen their OOC schedules? They are some of the worst possible. Outside of the BT/ACC challenge (and Indiana’s game against Kentucky) the rest is really, really bad.

BTW… I saw that NWstern’s schedule has 28 games, and Indiana has 30. Does anyone know why they are different?

A normal season consists of 29 games, which is how many Northwestern, like us, has scheduled (not the 28 games you came up with)

Indiana is playing in a “qualifying regular-season multi-team event”, i.e. a tournament (in their case it’s the Las Vegas Classic which they are playing in right now). When you do that you get to schedule 27 game plus the tournament, which, in this case, equals 31 (and is also how many games Indiana has scheduled, not 30 - better work on your counting).

A normal season consists of 29 games, which is how many Northwestern, like us, has scheduled (not the 28 games you came up with)

Indiana is playing in a “qualifying regular-season multi-team event”, i.e. a tournament (in their case it’s the Las Vegas Classic which they are playing in right now). When you do that you get to schedule 27 game plus the tournament, which, in this case, equals 31 (and is also how many games Indiana has scheduled, not 30 - better work on your counting).

I went to ESPN, and counted 28…

Northwestern Men’s Basketball Schedule

I went to ESPN, and counted 28…

Northwestern Men’s Basketball Schedule

Looks like ESPN doesn’t add a game to the schedule until it’s official, and since the game they play today is part of a four-team tournament, the matchups for tomorrow aren’t set yet.

They will have a game either way, they just don’t have an opponent set yet. Depends on how they do and how the other teams do today.