PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Some earlier start times for games

It seems that some games on the BTN will be on earlier this year now that “time period exclusivity” no longer exists.

http://blog.dispatch.com/hoopsscoops/

[quote=“HarryA, post:1, topic:2553”]It seems that some games on the BTN will be on earlier this year now that “time period exclusivity” no longer exists.

http://blog.dispatch.com/hoopsscoops/[/quote]

Great! I hate the 9 p.m. tips.

9pm tips are fine if it’s an ESPN game.

9pm tips on BTN…not so much. Then again a 9pm BTN game is better than a 6pm weekday BTN game

It seems that some games on the BTN will be on earlier this year now that "time period exclusivity" no longer exists.

+1

Much easier to convince myself to make a 2-hour drive to the game if I can get home before 1am on a weeknight.

It seems that some games on the BTN will be on earlier this year now that "time period exclusivity" no longer exists.

I love them. I can leave work in DC on time, get to the BJC for the game, and get home not much later than my usual 1 AM bedtime.

Thank goodness. I had a horrible time catching many of the B10 games this past season. I student taught during the spring semester, didn’t get the BTN at the place I rented (Pittsburgh), and had to drive to a sports bar 15 min away to catch the game. Considering I had to be to the school before 7 am everyday, and it was a 20-30 min commute, I would get up at 5:30 am everyday. Throw in a 9 pm tip the night before and it would make for a long day (I would never have the time to nap). Granted, I get up at 4:30 am half of the time with my current job, so I can’t complain.

I figure this schedule will be the norm in the future, if I work at a school that starts by 7:30 again. So, long story short, that extra hour is awesome!

[quote=“State4Life, post:6, topic:2553”]Thank goodness. I had a horrible time catching many of the B10 games this past season. I student taught during the spring semester, didn’t get the BTN at the place I rented (Pittsburgh), and had to drive to a sports bar 15 min away to catch the game. Considering I had to be to the school before 7 am everyday, and it was a 20-30 min commute, I would get up at 5:30 am everyday. Throw in a 9 pm tip the night before and it would make for a long day (I would never have the time to nap). Granted, I get up at 4:30 am half of the time with my current job, so I can’t complain.

I figure this schedule will be the norm in the future, if I work at a school that starts by 7:30 again. So, long story short, that extra hour is awesome![/quote]

The early start times have been/are/should be the NORM. Only mindless money gubbing networks/conferences/schools would use a 9:00 p.m. start time on a week night!! I think Bobby Knight had some “not so sweet” comments for the league (BigTen11/12) when they started the douple headers with 9:00 p.m. starts! Goodness when is our society going to make any decision NOT based on GREED! (Kid:…no need to add a right wing comment.) NUFF SAID!

Thank goodness. I had a horrible time catching many of the B10 games this past season. I student taught during the spring semester, didn't get the BTN at the place I rented (Pittsburgh), and had to drive to a sports bar 15 min away to catch the game. Considering I had to be to the school before 7 am everyday, and it was a 20-30 min commute, I would get up at 5:30 am everyday. Throw in a 9 pm tip the night before and it would make for a long day (I would never have the time to nap). Granted, I get up at 4:30 am half of the time with my current job, so I can't complain.

I figure this schedule will be the norm in the future, if I work at a school that starts by 7:30 again. So, long story short, that extra hour is awesome!

When the Big10 participated in ESPN’s Big Mondays, there were 10PM starts. That was what drove Knight over the edge with the late starts. I only remember one 10PM Big Monday home game against Wisconsin.

The early start times have been/are/should be the NORM. Only mindless money gubbing networks/conferences/schools would use a 9:00 p.m. start time on a week night!! I think Bobby Knight had some “not so sweet” comments for the league (BigTen11/12) when they started the douple headers with 9:00 p.m. starts! Goodness when is our society going to make any decision NOT based on GREED! (Kid:…no need to add a right wing comment.) NUFF SAID!

I love late start times. It gives me a chance to get the kids to bed and watch a game in peace.

People with DVRs will enjoy the earlier start times.

It’s hard for me to watch anything live anymore. For sporting events, I record it and start watching 30-45 minutes later so I can zip through the commercials, ending at the actual time the game ends.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:2553”]People with DVRs will enjoy the earlier start times.

It’s hard for me to watch anything live anymore. For sporting events, I record it and start watching 30-45 minutes later so I can zip through the commercials, ending at the actual time the game ends.[/quote]

Love the recordings!! Sometimes I just listen to the games (real time) from the PSU broadcast; then watch the recording later. Reminds me of my youth listening to Duquesne/Pirate games with my dog (Dukie!)

I personally don’t like the 6:30pm start times. Hate those. They don’t feel like a proper start time for me. Feels sort of JV’ish to me. And isn’t a lot of the Big 10’s viewership an hour behind (which would make their start times 5:30pm)?

People with DVRs will enjoy the earlier start times.

It’s hard for me to watch anything live anymore. For sporting events, I record it and start watching 30-45 minutes later so I can zip through the commercials, ending at the actual time the game ends.

Love the recordings!! Sometimes I just listen to the games (real time) from the PSU broadcast; then watch the recording later. Reminds me of my youth listening to Duquesne/Pirate games with my dog (Dukie!)

My brother’s the same way. He loves watching games on the DVR and starting 45 min later or so. I’ve just never gotten into it. I don’t like knowing that the game is going on and just waiting around (unless I have errands to do or something and it’s not a big game) to view it later. I’ll only record a game to re-watch it later.

I personally don't like the 6:30pm start times. Hate those. They don't feel like a proper start time for me. Feels sort of JV'ish to me. And isn't a lot of the Big 10's viewership an hour behind (which would make their start times 5:30pm)?
[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:2553"]People with DVRs will enjoy the earlier start times.

It’s hard for me to watch anything live anymore. For sporting events, I record it and start watching 30-45 minutes later so I can zip through the commercials, ending at the actual time the game ends.[/quote]

My brother’s the same way. He loves watching games on the DVR and starting 45 min later or so. I’ve just never gotten into it. I don’t like knowing that the game is going on and just waiting around (unless I have errands to do or something and it’s not a big game) to view it later. I’ll only record a game to re-watch it later.

I do this all the time for football. You can watch a football game in under an hour if you FFWD through commercials and huddles. Heck, if you could somehow just watch the plays, a game would only take 20 minutes to watch.

I personally don't like the 6:30pm start times. Hate those. They don't feel like a proper start time for me. Feels sort of JV'ish to me. And isn't a lot of the Big 10's viewership an hour behind (which would make their start times 5:30pm)?
[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:2553"]People with DVRs will enjoy the earlier start times.

I do this all the time for football. You can watch a football game in under an hour if you FFWD through commercials and huddles. Heck, if you could somehow just watch the plays, a game would only take 20 minutes to watch.

Knew a couple of college kids who had to time the actual playing time in a pro game for a class. I think 13 or 14 minutes was the time.

the NFL network does that replay show where they cut out all the BS and just show you the plays. I think it is a half hour show, so yeah… with commercials I’m sure they’re condensing it down to about 20 minutes of footage at most and they show some replays. Pretty crazy to think about, but not all that surprising. Football has really lost it’s luster for me the last few years and mostly because the games just take so damn long. 3 hours is now a quick game for pro’s, and 3.5 is typical for college it seems. If you’re only getting about 15-20 minutes of actual plays you are being hit over the head with ads for about 150 minutes per game. No thanks.

There is a lot of game clock that runs during huddles. Think about the NFL. The play clock starts at 40 seconds when the previous play ends. Then the ball gets snapped with under 10 seconds left on the play clock. That’s over 30 seconds of “game time” wasted in the huddle. If a play lasts 10 seconds (and I’d bet most plays don’t), 75% of the game clock is run off during huddles. I’m not surprised to read the post above that says 13 or 14 minutes is all the action you get out of 3 hours watching football. No wonder more people are turning to hockey. :wink:

I think they say 7 seconds is the average play in football. So yeah, most of the clock is wasted on huddles and lining up and getting back to the huddle.

Although, if you looked at how much SERIOUS action really happens in other sports you would find a similar ratio (although football is far and away the worst) I think but other sports don’t seem to be pushing 4 hours semi-regularly from start to finish. There’s plenty of non-action in soccer and hockey but the games just don’t take anywhere near as long. ~2 hours for most soccer matches including halftime. It’s a small commitment. It’s refreshing. :slight_smile:

[quote="Craftsy21, post:15, topic:2553"]the NFL network does that replay show where they cut out all the BS and just show you the plays. I think it is a half hour show, so yeah.. with commercials I'm sure they're condensing it down to about 20 minutes of footage at most and they show some replays. Pretty crazy to think about, but not all that surprising. Football has really lost it's luster for me the last few years and mostly because the games just take so damn long. 3 hours is now a quick game for pro's, and 3.5 is typical for college it seems. If you're only getting about 15-20 minutes of actual plays you are being hit over the head with ads for about 150 minutes per game. No thanks.[/quote]

There is a lot of game clock that runs during huddles. Think about the NFL. The play clock starts at 40 seconds when the previous play ends. Then the ball gets snapped with under 10 seconds left on the play clock. That’s over 30 seconds of “game time” wasted in the huddle. If a play lasts 10 seconds (and I’d bet most plays don’t), 75% of the game clock is run off during huddles. I’m not surprised to read the post above that says 13 or 14 minutes is all the action you get out of 3 hours watching football. No wonder more people are turning to hockey. :wink:

I was once a die-hard football fan. Couldn’t imagine it would ever lose it’s luster. I guess everything runs its coarse.

It’s usually the same culprit: money. It just about killed it for me when the games kept getting longer and longer because of the commercials, then the remedy for the game length was with trying to shorting the number of plays and keep the clock running.

Same thing with hoops. Over 2 hours to watch a 40 minute game, and they do keep the clock running. I’d bet that there are about 40 minutes worth of commercials during a televised hoops game.

ESPN has a huge cover story on paying college players. THAT would officially kill it.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:17, topic:2553”]I think they say 7 seconds is the average play in football. So yeah, most of the clock is wasted on huddles and lining up and getting back to the huddle.

Although, if you looked at how much SERIOUS action really happens in other sports you would find a similar ratio (although football is far and away the worst) I think but other sports don’t seem to be pushing 4 hours semi-regularly from start to finish. There’s plenty of non-action in soccer and hockey but the games just don’t take anywhere near as long. ~2 hours for most soccer matches including halftime. It’s a small commitment. It’s refreshing. :)[/quote]

I watch a ton of hockey. And in my biased opinion, the only time the action really slows down is during a powerplay. Of course a pp is exciting in it’s own way, even with the slower action. Because of the limited space the game gets played in (the ice surface, and further limited by the blue line rules), the action can be pretty much non stop for extended periods of time. Basketball is the only sport that can compare, but it’s too easy to score for my taste.

Yeah hockey is probably best at constant action while the clock is running, but don’t confuse constant motion with constant action. There’s plenty of times where the defenders just hold the puck back on their own end, lots of stoppages for face-offs, and like you said powerplays and line changes usually give you 10 second breaks where nothing is really happening. And i’m not a big fan of commercials they throw in, as a soccer fan who is used to 45 minutes uninterrupted.

But I do enjoy hockey and soccer much more than football lately.