So now what?

Now what? Now we are sure of more “rebuilding” and no NCAA again. Now we see that Ed is no better than Dunn, and is in fact worse. Now we see that Curley and a few on this board like the direction of this program, but they are alone. Now we see that statistics that describe “luck” are bad metrics for a program, particularly a program that is on the wrong end of luck.

Curley finally does his job and fires Ed.

yeah - we’ll see if that pans out. seems more likely that we find out that the Nittany Lion is in fact not extinct, but one or two are hiding on Mount Nittany

Now we rehash a bunch of arguments in a new thread.

The time for a change was now. Ed had 7 years. It was a FAIR chance. He DID NOT produce. It was a perfect time for a new coach with all the scholorships available in the next two years. NOW the program is more doomed!!

THANKS APOLOGISTS…

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:1005”]The time for a change was now. Ed had 7 years. It was a FAIR change. He DID NOT produce. It was a perfect time for a new coach with all the scholorships available in the next two years. NOW the program is more doomed!!

THANKS APOLOGISTS…[/quote]

He just needs more time. Plus, we have bad geography.

PSU has never been a good basketball school, some attribute it to their recruiting location. Therefore they never can be, right? That’s Lar’s position. I thought Lar was a math guy - but he continues to disappoint. I thought he would be well versed in the folly of assuming a black swan event is impossible.

You guys can continue finding new ways to keep saying the same thing over and over again, but you’re just talking to yourselves at this point. For the last time… we understand your point of view. You want Ed gone. K, got it. Thanks. Had it when you made that clear days, weeks, months, and years ago also. That’ll do.

The transfer opens up a whole other can of worms now, though…

It’s a very gratifying position to take - because Ed has been proving us right for 7 years.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:1005"]The time for a change was now. Ed had 7 years. It was a FAIR change. He DID NOT produce. It was a perfect time for a new coach with all the scholorships available in the next two years. NOW the program is more doomed!!

PSU has never been a good basketball school, some attribute it to their recruiting location. Therefore they never can be, right? That’s Lar’s position. I thought Lar was a math guy - but he continues to disappoint. I thought he would be well versed in the folly of assuming a black swan event is impossible.

For the love of god, there is a difference between saying something is improbable and impossible.

The easiest way to ensure that a program like PSU will never succeed is to dismiss every factor except “the head coach is incompetent.”

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:1005"]You guys can continue finding new ways to keep saying the same thing over and over again, but you're just talking to yourselves at this point. For the last time... we understand your point of view. You want Ed gone. K, got it. Thanks. Had it when you made that clear days, weeks, months, and years ago also. That'll do.[/quote]

It’s a very gratifying position to take - because Ed has been proving us right for 7 years.

It’s interesting to me how you guys choose to protest Ed’s tenure here… for many reasons. smirk

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:1005"]The time for a change was now. Ed had 7 years. It was a FAIR change. He DID NOT produce. It was a perfect time for a new coach with all the scholorships available in the next two years. NOW the program is more doomed!!

Never said we couldn’t be. Simply said that those that ignore those factors are sticking their heads in the sand. They are obstacles that need to be overcome and you can’t pretend they don’t exist or don’t matter.

It’s ridiculous that a player transfers, and all of a sudden the mob gets back to “Ed should be fired” or “Ed should have been fired years ago”. Players sometimes transfer. It happens. It could be a personal decision.

I’m sad to see Babb go, since he showed some potential this year. Sure, it’s a loss. But it doesn’t have to be the end of the world. It opens up a roster spot. Lets see how the spot on the roster is filled. There is plenty of talent on this team with a highly touted freshman guard coming into the program next year.

Lets not turn the transfer of a player for reasons unknown into another Ed bashing thread. We’re better than that.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:14, topic:1005”]It’s ridiculous that a player transfers, and all of a sudden the mob gets back to “Ed should be fired” or “Ed should have been fired years ago”. Players sometimes transfer. It happens. It could be a personal decision.

I’m sad to see Babb go, since he showed some potential this year. Sure, it’s a loss. But it doesn’t have to be the end of the world. It opens up a roster spot. Lets see how the spot on the roster is filled. There is plenty of talent on this team with a highly touted freshman guard coming into the program next year.

Lets not turn the transfer of a player for reasons unknown into another Ed bashing thread. We’re better than that.[/quote]

it’s a big deal. all through the struggles of the 3-16 big ten season we were reassured only by the hope that the whole team was going to return next year. Now, that won’t even happen. So this team still has no post play, and just lost some significant perimeter scoring as well. We shouldn’t criticize Ed over this? he’s worse than Jerry Dunn and deserves a lot of heat. The jury isn’t out anymore

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:14, topic:1005"]It's ridiculous that a player transfers, and all of a sudden the mob gets back to "Ed should be fired" or "Ed should have been fired years ago". Players sometimes transfer. It happens. It could be a personal decision.

Lets not turn the transfer of a player for reasons unknown into another Ed bashing thread. We’re better than that.[/quote]

it’s a big deal. all through the struggles of the 3-16 big ten season we were reassured only by the hope that the whole team was going to return next year. Now, that won’t even happen. So this team still has no post play, and just lost some significant perimeter scoring as well. We shouldn’t criticize Ed over this? he’s worse than Jerry Dunn and deserves a lot of heat. The jury isn’t out anymore

Stop acting like the jury ever was out for you. You don’t hear news like this and think “well now that’s reaffirming my opinion”… You have your mind made up, you seek ammo for your argument every waking second.

Plenty of people on here act like the talent we have isn’t good enough anyways - couldn’t this wind up being a positive in the long term since you and others act like we were so miserable this season in the first place? Oh, of course not… that doesn’t jive with the idea you’ve had in your head for 7 years now and counting.

And here I thought one of the reason’s Ed was being given so much time was the state of the program he inherited. Namely 2 league wins and a bunch of transfers out of the program. If you think Babb is the only one I think you are mistaken. So where does that leave us? I’ll tell you where, 2003 all over again.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:14, topic:1005"]It's ridiculous that a player transfers, and all of a sudden the mob gets back to "Ed should be fired" or "Ed should have been fired years ago". Players sometimes transfer. It happens. It could be a personal decision.

Stop acting like the jury ever was out for you. You don’t hear news like this and think “well now that’s reaffirming my opinion”… You have your mind made up, you seek ammo for your argument every waking second.

Plenty of people on here act like the talent we have isn’t good enough anyways - couldn’t this wind up being a positive in the long term since you and others act like we were so miserable this season in the first place? Oh, of course not… that doesn’t jive with the idea you’ve had in your head for 7 years now and counting.

No that’s not entirely true. After last year I was very hopeful that momentum would pick up, and was happy with Ed. Where I differ with you is that I felt this year was Ed’s most important year ever, the most important year for PSU in 9 seasons. The reason? Ed had to sustain some carryover of last year’s winning into this year to help recruiting and fill those 5 scholarships with a talent upgrade. Otherwise, this program will spin its wheels for another 4 years. Another NIT appearance seemed to be a minimum requirement. Not only did he not make it, he failed on an epic level.

Your wrong Craftsy. The vast majority want desperatley to be proven wrong. We are sick of being right about Ed. But the truth is what it is. Stop acting like this is a positive. This team lost its 2nd best player. A “positive in the long term”?! I think you overestimate both the immediate impact of Buie and the ability of Ed to use this scholarship to find immediate and significant help for next season. This is not good news for the program nor is it a good sign of its health.

But the thing is, you guys attempt to crucify people who want Ed back next year as though we have anymore say in whether he does or not than those who oppose it.

You’re constantly lecturing us, insulting our intelligence, or in extreme cases sending hate mail to us as though it’s going to matter. Enough is enough. I’m not telling any of you what to think, I’ve only tried to explain why I feel the way that I do - even when it’s not the popular opinion. That seems to be met with hatred, of all things. But my opinion means squat, and so does yours really.

That’s why it seems to me that so many of you are more concerned with being right or wrong than the actual good of the program.

The fact of the matter is that this season was a set back. But in Ed’s tenure here, the program was steadily improving until this year. So why would just the past year’s setback be a sign that Ed should’ve been fired years ago? If next year is not the improvement we all hope for, that’s when it logically makes sense to get rid of him in my opinion. Not after just ONE setback year.

If you consider his entire time here a failure, then I just don’t think you followed the growth closely enough. If you didn’t like his hire from the start, then you’re probably just twisting the facts to make your argument at this point.

But again - at the end of the day, none of this matters. This conversation has NO bearing on what WILL happen, so can we just cool it a bit with the back and forth bashing and having to defend Ed every single day a new piece of news comes out? I think the lines are drawn at this point, no need to keep redrawing them everyday.