PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

So let's get this straight

Today we find out that our AD is going to interview Ron Everhart. Ron Everhart was involved in major NCAA violations at Northeastern in 2003 that landed the school on probation in 2009 after Everhart had already fled town.

This sounds a lot like the supposed reason we couldn’t touch Larry Brown.

I liked the idea of hiring Brown, but given the quality of information we have (poor at best, wrong at worst) and the fact that Curley has not made a decision yet, it seems premature to be writing these things.

If he comes out with the right guy, this will seem foolish. And so far he hasn’t hired Lebo, Everhart or Sendek.

Fine Tim. I don’t know how to delete the topic but if you want to go ahead. If Everhart is chosen or even interviewed I’ll save my comments for then

[quote=“psuarva, post:1, topic:2438”]Today we find out that our AD is going to interview Ron Everhart. Ron Everhart was involved in major NCAA violations at Northeastern in 2003 that landed the school on probation in 2009 after Everhart had already fled town.

This sounds a lot like the supposed reason we couldn’t touch Larry Brown.[/quote]

Everhart is cheap like all the other candidates that have been mentioned. I guess we can turn a blind eye to our principles for the right price.

[quote="psuarva, post:1, topic:2438"]Today we find out that our AD is going to interview Ron Everhart. Ron Everhart was involved in major NCAA violations at Northeastern in 2003 that landed the school on probation in 2009 after Everhart had already fled town.

This sounds a lot like the supposed reason we couldn’t touch Larry Brown.[/quote]

Everhart is cheap like all the other candidates that have been mentioned. I guess we can turn a blind eye to our principles for the right price.

What would have made anyone think price would not be a major consideration?

[quote="psuarva, post:1, topic:2438"]Today we find out that our AD is going to interview Ron Everhart. Ron Everhart was involved in major NCAA violations at Northeastern in 2003 that landed the school on probation in 2009 after Everhart had already fled town.

What would have made anyone think price would not be a major consideration?

Price wasn’t really my point. The point is the reason we “couldn’t” hire Brown was NCAA violations. Everhart did the exact same thing. And we have an article where Brown says salary wasn’t going to be an issue. Whether that is true or not, we won’t know, because Curley was too scared to let the conversation go there.

“Cheap” is a relative term. If the school is going to pay someone $800,000/yr (Ed’s most recent salary), more than the the University President, I hope they are finding the highest quality individual they can.

[quote=“psuarva, post:1, topic:2438”]Today we find out that our AD is going to interview Ron Everhart. Ron Everhart was involved in major NCAA violations at Northeastern in 2003 that landed the school on probation in 2009 after Everhart had already fled town.

So NCAA violations were clearly not the issue with Larry Brown. We can speculate about what the issue/issues were, or we can believe the one source D. Jones quoted, Brown himself, that Brown has been out of the college game too long for Curley’s liking (and maybe TC want to put a cap on the number of grumpy old men with God complexes that he has to deal with).

I store this in my hate/vent jar: If Curley ends up making a great hire I congratulate him and am done with it; if he makes an underwhelming hire I’ll pull this out and haunt him with it to the extent that I can.

So NCAA violations were clearly not the issue with Larry Brown. We can speculate about what the issue/issues were, or we can believe the one source D. Jones quoted, Brown himself, that Brown has been out of the college game too long for Curley’s liking (and maybe TC want to put a cap on the number of grumpy old men with God complexes that he has to deal with).

I store this in my hate/vent jar: If Curley ends up making a great hire I congratulate him and am done with it; if he makes an underwhelming hire I’ll pull this out and haunt him with it to the extent that I can.

How do you plan on doing that?

He’s going to stand outside Curley’s office wearing a bed sheet while rattling chains and moaning, “Laaarrrryyy Broooowwwnnnnn.”

He’s going to stand outside Curley’s office wearing a bed sheet while rattling chains and moaning, “Laaarrrryyy Broooowwwnnnnn.”

That’s it! Thanks. ;D ;D ;D

I’ll visit him three times to show him visions from PSU hoops past, present, and future.

That’s it! Thanks. ;D ;D ;D

I’ll visit him three times to show him visions from PSU hoops past, present, and future.

Save two trips–past, present, and future of PSU hoops are all the same. :wink:

LOL this thread got good.

LOL Phoenix,

Ghost of haunting Curly Past: Bring him back to 1983, when he’s still a young boy and PSU has the chance to hire Rick Pitino.

Ghost of haunting Curly Present: Show him the humble office and practice facilities of poor Tiny Ed, who is laboring keep his little team going while his grumpy AD always threatens to fire him.

Ghost of haunting Curly Future: PSU football tanks after Paterno retires, and with the hoops team still languishing the athletic department falls into disarray. Cobwebs line the new hockey rink - never used - and even the fencers are leaving for greener pastures.

NOT THE FENCERS!

lol

I hope they don’t rush this thing and pick the wrong guy. Starting to get a little concerned.

Be very concerned. I wasn’t yesterday when I thought it would be Chambers cause I thought that while not an overly exciting hire it would have tremendous potential and he could be a guy that would stick around for a while.

I do not like Everhart’s personality, his coaching, or just him in general. And it looks like he might be the lead candidate. Tim Curley is screwed in the head.

[quote="GoSpikes, post:16, topic:2438"]Starting to get a little concerned.[/quote]

Be very concerned. I wasn’t yesterday when I thought it would be Chambers cause I thought that while not an overly exciting hire it would have tremendous potential and he could be a guy that would stick around for a while.

I do not like Everhart’s personality, his coaching, or just him in general. And it looks like he might be the lead candidate. Tim Curley is screwed in the head.

You think the BJC was empty with Ed running the show? wait and see what it looks like if this guy is hired. I hope this is nothing more than a rumor

Where do you get that from? Am I missing something?

I’m with you here. If we didn’t hire Brown due to his history, as I’ve suggested, but we hire Everhart, then I’ll lose my faith in Tim Curley to ever do things right for the men’s hoops program.