PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

So Far So Good after 7 Games

I am more than pleased with where we’re at after 7 games.

Given the lack of experience on the team my expectations were the new coaches would make the priorities as follows:
Make a 'team’
Effort effort effort
Instill freedom to 'do" without fear as long as there was effort
Criticize without curtailing freedom
Play 'em all and keeping playing 'em so they get real game experience

As I see it … on the plus side ( in no particular order ) :
Effort
Resiliency
Rebounding
Banding together
Coaches teaching on the bench
Lots of guys getting minutes

On the minus side ( in no paricular order ) :
Poor 1st halfs
Shooting Consistency
FT %
Inside scoring
Starting and sub rotations not yet established

What I’ll be looking for thru December ( in no particular order )
Starting rotation decided ( Frazier, Glover, Marshall, Travis and Oliver )
Plays run for Travis running the baseline to get dunks / layups
Someone to develop as the 3 pt shooter from the corners
Shooting to improve ( and stay improved ) after the 500 minute mark ( 2nd half of 13th game )

NCAA is a given next year

:o :o :o :o :o :o

[quote="jlr820, post:1, topic:2875"]NCAA is a given next year[/quote]

Agreed, a bit too optimistic for my tastes. You are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Reaching the NCAAs next year can happen, but is far from a given - there are so many pieces that need to be fixed in order to be at that level by next season.

Agreed, a bit too optimistic for my tastes. You are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Reaching the NCAAs next year can happen, but is far from a given - there are so many pieces that need to be fixed in order to be at that level by next season.

Like scoring more than 20 points in the freaking first half.

Like scoring more than 20 points in the freaking first half.

ahhh … methinks you folks have no vision … and little faith … and not much stomach for the journey

Yea, I don’t know if you realize how difficult it is to make the NCAA tournament.

ahhh .. methinks you folks have no vision .. and little faith .. and not much stomach for the journey

No stomach for the journey, huh I’ve on this PSU BB journey for over 40 years, and while it has, at times, been difficlult to stomach, I’m still here.

ahhh .. methinks you folks have no vision .. and little faith .. and not much stomach for the journey

certainly is what I believe … do you believe different ??

Yea, I don’t know if you realize how difficult it is to make the NCAA tournament.

why would it be too difficult for for next years team ?

[quote="jlr820, post:5, topic:2875"]ahhh .. methinks you folks have no vision .. and little faith .. and not much stomach for the journey[/quote]

No stomach for the journey, huh I’ve on this PSU BB journey for over 40 years, and while it has, at times, been difficlult to stomach, I’m still here.

soooo … does that mean you believe they’ll make the NCAA next year?

why would it be too difficult for for next years team

Because we can’t shoot for sh*t ::slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say so far, so good. We can beat the munchcakes, and that’s a good first step. We hustle and the kids try hard…but there’s no excuse for our shooting woes. There’s no way in hell a high major Division 1 program should score less than 20 points in any half…let alone 3 times in the first seven games. Never in my life have I seen something like that.

Well in 09 we had 6 current pros and didn’t make it. Last year we had 4 seniors who are current pros and we had to make an amazing run to do it. I really don’t see the players that are there now as better than the players we have had in the past. Maybe the big ten won’t be as strong and hopefully they will prove me wrong, but there are a lot of good teams that do not make it every year.

that’s today … guys need reps and more reps … they’re inexerienced and are being asked to do things they hadn’t before … they’re gonna get another 1000 game minutes this season … no different than learning to drive or ride a bike … they’ll get better

Well in 09 we had 6 current pros and didn’t make it. Last year we had 4 seniors who are current pros and we had to make an amazing run to do it. I really don’t see the players that are there now as better than the players we have had in the past. Maybe the big ten won’t be as strong and hopefully they will prove me wrong, but there are a lot of good teams that do not make it every year.

Is that a yes we will … or a no we won’t ?

Is that a yes we will … or a no we won’t ?

I read that to myself and I thought it was clear… No they will not make it.
Believe me I would love them to be there, but I personally do not see it happening.

I always try to be as optimistic as possible, but after today, I won’t be suprised if we don’t win another game away from the BJC the rest of this year. Not a knock on this team skill wise, but the youth of this squad really shows up on the road. Today’s game and the Kentucky game were very similar in the sense that we couldn’t hit the side of a barn with our shots in the first half. I expect this team to be very competitive at home-I think there might even be a few nice upsets. But get this team away from State College and I’m not so optimistic. But, I’m ok with that. That’s part of the growing process of a young team. There’s going to be obstacles. We’ll be fine in the long run. I have a lot of hope for this group of players as they develop, because I think there is so much potential there and I’m sure that view is shared by most of the people on this board. We’re just not ready yet.

I was going to say something about the fact that this was a road game like the UK game, but this doesn’t really explain the USF game in which we played pretty decent against a BCS opponent. So I’m sticking with the inconsistency angle for now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, did we play well, or did they just play worse?

Couldn’t agree more with your observation … they’re young … long as they stay after it they’ll do nothing but get better