PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Slightly OT: BJC Ushers

I’ve been critical of the ushers at the BJC before for bring much too strict and trying to exercise way too much control of where people sit in a 9/10thz empty BJC.

But credit is due to them this year. Not only are they not as controlling of the “crowds,” they’re actively encouraging people to move to better, largely empty seats. I don’t know if this is just to make the BJC look better on TV, or if it’s just common sense, but it’s a welcome change.

Kudos for friendly ushers who make guests feel welcome.

EDIT: Argh, iPhone auto-correct. They’re not abstinent encouraging. They’re actively encouraging.

Yes, thanks to those ushers, I’ve sat front row, second row and lower half, all at half court. Even got the pre second half TB lucky fist pound.

Thank you newly fan friendly ushers!

[quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:1564”]I’ve been critical of the ushers at the BJC before for bring much too strict and trying to exercise way too much control of where people sit in a 9/10thz empty BJC.

But credit is due to them this year. Not only are they not as controlling of the “crowds,” they’re abstinent encouraging people to move to better, largely empty seats. I don’t know if this is just to make the BJC look better on TV, or if it’s just common sense, but it’s a welcome change.

Kudos for friendly ushers who make guests feel welcome.[/quote][quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:1564”]I’ve been critical of the ushers at the BJC before for bring much too strict and trying to exercise way too much control of where people sit in a 9/10thz empty BJC.

But credit is due to them this year. Not only are they not as controlling of the “crowds,” they’re abstinent encouraging people to move to better, largely empty seats. I don’t know if this is just to make the BJC look better on TV, or if it’s just common sense, but it’s a welcome change.

Kudos for friendly ushers who make guests feel welcome.[/quote]

I’ve worked as an usher and knowing the staff the way I do I’ve forward your comments to the staff. Thanks guys

I wonder if they have to commit to that for the entire basketball season - you’d think that would make them crankier. :wink:

Hat’s off to the ushering crew for making the game better for the fans.

[quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:1564”]I’ve been critical of the ushers at the BJC before for bring much too strict and trying to exercise way too much control of where people sit in a 9/10thz empty BJC.

But credit is due to them this year. Not only are they not as controlling of the “crowds,” they’re actively encouraging people to move to better, largely empty seats. I don’t know if this is just to make the BJC look better on TV, or if it’s just common sense, but it’s a welcome change.

EDIT: Argh, iPhone auto-correct. They’re not abstinent encouraging. They’re actively encouraging.[/quote]
First off, I hate the auto-correct on my iPhone as well. And I’m happy that the ushers are indeed letting people sit closer to the action. I know in my years attending the BJC, this was a no-no, regardless of how sparse a crowd was. However, on the same token, it still doesn’t make the BJC look better on TV, as you mentioned. The Furman game looked really bad, IMO. It’s a shame. But if PSU can continue the winning trend and beat Maryland and VT, the fans will come, I’m sure of that.

I was actually quite upset with them for about 20 minutes earlier this season when they were forcing students to clear out of the one endzone side to move to the other one, when it was completely vacant halfway through the 1st half. They finally organized and decided to let people move there, but why the hesitation even existed made no sense to me. They spent about 20 trips from the floor up to the second level to tell people to move - would it not have made more sense to wait for somebody to request their assistance (should their assigned seats actually be taken) then to keep moving people who were sitting in obviously open seats?

When your working with a 75 percent empty arena I think you have to change your policies. Glad to hear it sounds like they have realized this now. Protect the main section of season ticket holders and deal with the handful of real issues on other assigned seats… and let everyone else sit wherever they want. It’s not a big deal. :slight_smile:

[quote="bstanf, post:1, topic:1564"]...they're abstinent...[/quote]

I wonder if they have to commit to that for the entire basketball season - you’d think that would make them crankier. :wink:

LMAO! :smiley:

Thanks for the heads up - I may just have to “upgrade” my seats for the Maryland game now.

[quote="bstanf, post:1, topic:1564"]I've been critical of the ushers at the BJC before for bring much too strict and trying to exercise way too much control of where people sit in a 9/10thz empty BJC.

EDIT: Argh, iPhone auto-correct. They’re not abstinent encouraging. They’re actively encouraging.[/quote]
First off, I hate the auto-correct on my iPhone as well. And I’m happy that the ushers are indeed letting people sit closer to the action. I know in my years attending the BJC, this was a no-no, regardless of how sparse a crowd was. However, on the same token, it still doesn’t make the BJC look better on TV, as you mentioned. The Furman game looked really bad, IMO. It’s a shame. But if PSU can continue the winning trend and beat Maryland and VT, the fans will come, I’m sure of that.

Several years ago they actually implemented a program encouraging folk to move down. I think it was called Operation Full Courtside (or something similar). They sent a letter to season ticket holders saying that people would be allowed to move down into the empty seats at the 10:00 minute point of the first half. I remember distinctly because I criticized the campaign at the time. Not because they were allowing people to move down but because the only word of the campaign went out to season ticket holders who were the ones who were already sitting in those seats. There was no real effort made to let other people who were sitting elsewhere that they could move into the courtside seats. That effort only lasted for a season or two before it was abandoned because some people in the lower levels complained.

[quote="bstanf, post:1, topic:1564"]I've been critical of the ushers at the BJC before for bring much too strict and trying to exercise way too much control of where people sit in a 9/10thz empty BJC.

Several years ago they actually implemented a program encouraging folk to move down. I think it was called Operation Full Courtside (or something similar). They sent a letter to season ticket holders saying that people would be allowed to move down into the empty seats at the 10:00 minute point of the first half. I remember distinctly because I criticized the campaign at the time. Not because they were allowing people to move down but because the only word of the campaign went out to season ticket holders who were the ones who were already sitting in those seats. There was no real effort made to let other people who were sitting elsewhere that they could move into the courtside seats. That effort only lasted for a season or two before it was abandoned because some people in the lower levels complained.

I believe that Opeation Full House Courtside is still in place. Each year, I receive a letter encouranging me to call the ticket office if I am unable to use my season tickets and they will attempt to resell them. I do not receive any reimbursement but my NLC account is credited with “points” if the tickets are sold.

I believe that Opeation Full House Courtside is still in place. Each year, I receive a letter encouranging me to call the ticket office if I am unable to use my season tickets and they will attempt to resell them. I do not receive any reimbursement but my NLC account is credited with “points” if the tickets are sold.

I probably have the name wrong. Whatever they called it, it wasn’t an effort to resell the tickets, it was one to allow people to move lower down during the game.

Ushers moved my son and I courtside on Sunday. Great perspective being that close.

I think this is also happening because of some of the worst crowds in BJC history. Two games in a row there has been less than 2,000 people in the building. I hope the MAryland crowd is good but I am hearing it is nothing special.

[quote="psugrad83, post:12, topic:1564"]Ushers moved my son and I courtside on Sunday. Great perspective being that close.[/quote]

I think this is also happening because of some of the worst crowds in BJC history. Two games in a row there has been less than 2,000 people in the building. I hope the MAryland crowd is good but I am hearing it is nothing special.

As of last night only 6000 tickets were sold. Pathetic.

[quote="psugrad83, post:12, topic:1564"]Ushers moved my son and I courtside on Sunday. Great perspective being that close.[/quote]

As of last night only 6000 tickets were sold. Pathetic.

flooding and weather won’t help the walk up crowd either