PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Sleeping Giant

Someone (Tundra, I believe, but who is not important) loved that Coach Chambers referred to Penn State as a “sleeping giant”, which made me remark that Chambers is not the first to see it that way.

Completely coincidentally, I was cleaning out my garage today and came across a piece I wrote for Town & Gown when ED was hired, and “sleeping giant” plays prominently. I scanned it in (forgive me, the PDF is a bit skewed and way larger than it needs to be) because I think it holds up pretty well! (If I must say so myself. :slight_smile: )

With a few minor updates, it could run again next fall!

Mapping Out the Future: Big-time men’s college basketball may soon find its way to the BJC, home of a sleeping giant

If I may join the millions of other writers who scream “I DIDN’T WRITE THE HEADLINE”, I think you’ll find the article is more even-handed about Penn State’s chances. The editor, professor Mike Poorman, knew who the audience was for these magazines. :wink:

Ed had more hair and less was grey.

I got a kick out of the barometer

I actually read a lot of those out loud to my daughter, because I thought they were funny.

She didn’t.

I wrote that, too. :slight_smile:

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2460"]I got a kick out of the barometer[/quote]

I actually read a lot of those out loud to my daughter, because I thought they were funny.

She didn’t.

I love the barometer, Some of that was hilarious, I got a kick out of this one: “PSU basketball recruiting looks promising, says recruiting analyst Phil Grosz (uh oh)” That’s great!

Although, some of that is quite out-dated. Such as; “PSU latest recruit choose nits over: Tulane, St. Joe’s, and Dayton. (uh-oh)”

• That is a better list then, what seems like, most of our recruits over the past 5 years… Maybe it should have said Southeast Central Louisiana State Mud-dogs, Lock Haven Univ, and University of Phoenix"

Slogans like “Sleeping Giant” can be important and a nice marketing tool. I think you also mentioned Harter used the slogan. While Chambers may not be the FIRST… I love the way he has said ALL the correct things so far…and he has not yet had his first official press conference.
I just believe Chambers will be the most active and successful marketer of all of our basketball coaches in the modern era. Marketing is a 24 - 7 job. I (in my prior posts) never meant to say prior coaches never used slogans or marketed BUT meant to say the prior coaches were not good at it nor successful in exciting the fan base.

Can’t wait to see the first press conference. A new era has begun. The SLEEPING GIANT will awaken!! Hey, how is that for our new slogan/logo??

Tundra, is it too late for you to consider a career move to marketing? You seem really fascinated (read: obsessed) with the subject lately, and seem to think you know a bit (read: all) about it.

I expect Chambers to say Bam! a lot during his press conference on Monday.

I guess reports that Ed is the top choice for the Navy job would end up in the “Uh Oh” column on the barometer?

Good read Tim. I actually think Ed would have eventually elevated us to where PSU was consistently middle of the pack in the Big Ten. I think hiring Chambers accelerates that process though.

[quote=“WestCoastBlues, post:9, topic:2460”]I guess reports that Ed is the top choice for the Navy job would end up in the “Uh Oh” column on the barometer?

Good read Tim. I actually think Ed would have eventually elevated us to where PSU was consistently middle of the pack in the Big Ten. I think hiring Chambers accelerates that process though.[/quote]

Ha! That would have been too great if I had foreseen that!

I agree. I think Ed was one of the top 5 or 6 game coaches in the league. In spite of that, this program had no chance of really taking off with him in charge. He was clearly a better game coach than Carmody and Weber, and at least once per season seemed to outcoach Izzo. I suspected he was a better game coach than Thad Matta, but OSU generally had so much talent that nobody could touch them unless the players had an off night. He was clearly not as good as Bo Ryan. I think Painter was better than Ed. I suspect Crean is a better coach but hasn’t really gotten his players in place yet. Eventually we would have been consistently finishing 5th-7th in the conference under Ed. It would have maxed out there I think, with occasional years where we made a run at something bigger. Eventually we will see where Chambers stacks up against other Big Ten coaches. That is a bit of an unknown right now. Hopefully he stacks up even better. Chambers brings a few ingredients that Ed lacked. It is hard to describe very well. It is a bit of an x-factor that good basketball coaches carry with them. For example, in recruiting I am already 100% sure that he will do better than Ed, and he has not even done any recruiting yet.

I also think one knock on Ed was that he made tons of excuses. To the extent that we see articles claiming the administration does not support basketball, and makes it hard for the coaches to recruit - I’d imagine there is another side to that story. I often wondered how much of that was accurate, and how much was Ed pointing at anybody except for himself for the fact that we were very up and down, and that recruiting wasn’t stellar. The recruiting classes were very uneven (1 scholarship last year, 4 senior starters this year), and in the middle of Ed’s tenure we seemed to be obsessed with recruiting guards at the expense of our front court. Those things weren’t anybody else’s fault.

I think Dick Harter said the same thing in 1981. This giant is clearly a heavy sleeper.

That’s a really savvy story, Tim. You’re a beautiful writer. … I mean your writing is beautiful.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2460"]I got a kick out of the barometer[/quote]

She didn’t.

I love the barometer, Some of that was hilarious, I got a kick out of this one: “PSU basketball recruiting looks promising, says recruiting analyst Phil Grosz (uh oh)” That’s great!

Although, some of that is quite out-dated. Such as; “PSU latest recruit choose nits over: Tulane, St. Joe’s, and Dayton. (uh-oh)”

• That is a better list then, what seems like, most of our recruits over the past 5 years… Maybe it should have said Southeast Central Louisiana State Mud-dogs, Lock Haven Univ, and University of Phoenix"

Clearly SECLSU was unable to capitalize on the recruiting momentum created by Bobby Boucher and the big bowl victory of 1999.

[quote="tjb, post:1, topic:2460"]Someone (Tundra, I believe, but who is not important) loved that Coach Chambers referred to Penn State as a "sleeping giant", which made me remark that Chambers is not the first to see it that way.[/quote] This giant is clearly a heavy sleeper.
Rip Van Winkle on steroids