PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Sign of the times

Jerry Palm is shutting down his websites, CollegeRPI.com and CollegeBCS.com. He’s moving his operation to CBSsports. Jerry has been running his RPi site for about 17 years (and almost as long for his BCS site). I hope his stuff at CBS turns out to be as thorough as it was on his sites but I seriously fear t won’t be.

With big corporations buying out these small owner operated sites, I have to wonder how long it will be before NBC or somebody makes Tim an offer he can’t refuse. :wink:

Well, that $30 per year can go towards a kenpom subscription then.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:3214”]Jerry Palm is shutting down his websites, CollegeRPI.com and CollegeBCS.com. He’s moving his operation to CBSsports. Jerry has been running his RPi site for about 17 years (and almost as long for his BCS site). I hope his stuff at CBS turns out to be as thorough as it was on his sites but I seriously fear t won’t be.

With big corporations buying out these small owner operated sites, I have to wonder how long it will be before NBC or somebody makes Tim an offer he can’t refuse. ;)[/quote]

As long as Tim negotiates one of those fat NBC TV contracts for the BBall team, have at it. 8)

I’ve turned down overtures over the years, the biggest in the mid five figures. The promise was that I could “keep things exactly like they are” – which I knew then and saw subsequently could not have been the case.

I have been doing this for at least 15 years. The reason I didn’t want any money (and why I hold off on collecting more donations than I need), is that some day I am going to wake up tired of it and turn it off. And I don’t want to feel guilty about it.

I’ve got to say that the Sandusky crisis has really made me think hard about all this. All the attention we lavish on these less-than stellar students running around in polyester gets things “out of whack”, as our philosopher football king used to say, and sites like this can contribute to it. I was a little worried about Chambers, too. I am cynical about salesmen.

I’m happy about Chambers. He’s definitely a salesman, but he also seems to have scruples. (I don’t pretend to be the final or even particularly important arbiter of that! It’s just that my opinion is the only one that matters in the end when it comes to keeping this site going. :slight_smile: )

So onward!

For this you can thank my penchant for random phrases that I read/hear that happen to be song lyrics/titles causing that song to get stuck in my head…

Petula Clark-A Sign Of The Times

I think she’s lip-syncing. 8)

Chambers and his staff have scruples.

Wow, what 60’s variety show is that from. Every entertainer had one back then!

We’ll always have the memories… like when Palm swore up and down we had no chance of making the tournament as an at-large a little over a year ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

He had us in after our B10 tournament run. We had worked our way up to RPI #39 at that point and there was no way that we weren’t going to get a bid.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:9, topic:3214"]We'll always have the memories... like when Palm swore up and down we had no chance of making the tournament as an at-large a little over a year ago. :p[/quote]

He had us in after our B10 tournament run. We had worked our way up to RPI #39 at that point and there was no way that we weren’t going to get a bid.

I was referring to the week or so leading up to the B10 tournament, where he claimed we couldn’t get in even with a deep run in the B10 tournament.

It wasn’t just him, obviously. But he seemed to be the most adamant about it and I never understood why.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:9, topic:3214"]We'll always have the memories... like when Palm swore up and down we had no chance of making the tournament as an at-large a little over a year ago. :p[/quote]

I was referring to the week or so leading up to the B10 tournament, where he claimed we couldn’t get in even with a deep run in the B10 tournament.

It wasn’t just him, obviously. But he seemed to be the most adamant about it and I never understood why.

I don’t quite remember it that way so I tried to go back and figure out when he might have made statements like you suggest.

On January 28th, he had us in, so it wasn’t like we were on some hate list of his.

One month later on February 28th, we were on his first four out.

11 days later, after the first game of the B10, tournament he again had us first four out, which sure doesn’t sound like he would have claimed we had no chance just a couple of days earlier.

He might have had us on the outside looking in for a while, but I don’t think we were ever on an NFW list.

I’m not going to go digging for it, but there was discussion here and elsewhere in the final week of the regular season which amounted to him saying it would take us making the final of the big ten tournament to even have a prayer, and that we probably had to win 4 in a row including knocking off Ohio State to get there, and yada yada yada.

If I remember correctly it basically just came down to the fact that he didn’t want to waste time considering if we actually could put a run together. It was just easier to assume we wouldn’t considering the way we were playing. Which is fine, it’s whatever now. A lot of people were made to look stupid last year by what transpired, and I’m not excluding myself there.

I was just annoyed by what I considered to be a very flip attitude about even having to answer questions about PSU’s chances at certain points last year, as if he didn’t even have time to be wasting on such silly questions.

I had a feeling you’d come running to his defense though. It’s a shame he’s not paying you for all the PR and advertising you do for him, you probably deserve a headhunter’s fee for that sweet gig he just got.

Speaking of old threads though, if you want to have some fun go back and check out all the old names used by people that were just trashing the hell out of Ed and the bball program during last season. Never see those accounts posting anymore, where have they all gone, I wonder!!!?? ::slight_smile:

Aaaauuuuuuuuummmmmmm

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:13, topic:3214”]I’m not going to go digging for it, but there was discussion here and elsewhere in the final week of the regular season which amounted to him saying it would take us making the final of the big ten tournament to even have a prayer, and that we probably had to win 4 in a row including knocking off Ohio State to get there, and yada yada yada.

If I remember correctly it basically just came down to the fact that he didn’t want to waste time considering if we actually could put a run together. It was just easier to assume we wouldn’t considering the way we were playing. Which is fine, it’s whatever now. A lot of people were made to look stupid last year by what transpired, and I’m not excluding myself there.

I was just annoyed by what I considered to be a very flip attitude about even having to answer questions about PSU’s chances at certain points last year, as if he didn’t even have time to be wasting on such silly questions.

I had a feeling you’d come running to his defense though. It’s a shame he’s not paying you for all the PR and advertising you do for him, you probably deserve a headhunter’s fee for that sweet gig he just got.[/quote]

It went back to a Jeff Rice article in early March where Palm said that we needed to win the Big 10. Here is a post about it (and this whole thread has a lot of stuff about it)…

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php/topic,1938.msg50071.html#msg50071

Jerry basically was saying that he didn’t think PSU had a shot at an at-large bid (as many PSU fans also didn’t). We went on a great run and got one. I’m not sure why someone would hold it against Jerry a year later.

Thanks Frats. But I wasn’t bothered by him saying we wouldn’t get in. I just thought he had a smugness about himself anytime somebody brought up the question in the last week.

I don’t sit here throwing darts at his picture or anything, he just got added to my imaginary list of ‘experts’ from last year that wrote that team off too soon. Like those morons that called the MSU game and couldn’t justify any way in which we would get selected before the Spartans. It was a frustrating 10 days or so, as you’ll remember, but ultimately we were vindicated by a fantastic run so I stick my tongue directly out at all the doubters. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:3214”]Jerry Palm is shutting down his websites, CollegeRPI.com and CollegeBCS.com. He’s moving his operation to CBSsports. Jerry has been running his RPi site for about 17 years (and almost as long for his BCS site). I hope his stuff at CBS turns out to be as thorough as it was on his sites but I seriously fear t won’t be.

With big corporations buying out these small owner operated sites, I have to wonder how long it will be before NBC or somebody makes Tim an offer he can’t refuse. ;)[/quote]

I think that CBS will make him dumb down his stuff to the point where it is useless, and we’ll see some other Jerry Palm-types starting their own sites. So it goes

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:17, topic:3214”]Thanks Frats. But I wasn’t bothered by him saying we wouldn’t get in. I just thought he had a smugness about himself anytime somebody brought up the question in the last week.

I don’t sit here throwing darts at his picture or anything, he just got added to my imaginary list of ‘experts’ from last year that wrote that team off too soon. Like those morons that called the MSU game and couldn’t justify any way in which we would get selected before the Spartans. It was a frustrating 10 days or so, as you’ll remember, but ultimately we were vindicated by a fantastic run so I stick my tongue directly out at all the doubters. :P[/quote]

After going back through and reading those posts, Palm apparently had a couple of changes of heart regarding PSU chances over those days. You can see how we were pretty much always just in, or on his last few out, in the month before the tournament. According to frats, on Feb 25, Palm said this about the Big Ten.

[i]"Michigan’s loss this week knocked them back out of the bracket. They probably need to win their last two pre-tournament games to have a realistic shot, but they are winnable.

Penn St also has a schedule of opportunity, but is less likely able to take advantage of it. "[/i]

We had just beat NW in Evanston the night before and I have to wonder if Jerry had considered that when he wrote the above because just hours later, Palm has us on his fence sitters list.

The Rice column was written a week later, after we had lost to Ohio State, and it just seems strange that Palm would have us so far out of it, following the results of one game, particularly since he put us right back in the mix just a few days later. I don’t know what he was smoking when he gave Rice that quote but he clearly missed the ball that day.

At least I still had it nailed at that point. :wink:

And then, later on, I said that I thought that Jerry would change his mind if the make-it-to-the weekend scenario played out.

And he did, as detailed in this Dave Jones’ column on Friday before we played Wisconsin in the BTT.

Jerry Palm is shutting down his websites, CollegeRPI.com and CollegeBCS.com. He's moving his operation to CBSsports. Jerry has been running his RPi site for about 17 years (and almost as long for his BCS site). I hope his stuff at CBS turns out to be as thorough as it was on his sites but I seriously fear t won't be.

With big corporations buying out these small owner operated sites, I have to wonder how long it will be before NBC or somebody makes Tim an offer he can’t refuse. :wink:

I think that CBS will make him dumb down his stuff to the point where it is useless, and we’ll see some other Jerry Palm-types starting their own sites. So it goes

That wouldn’t surprise me in the least.