PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

SI: Penn State among teams due for a bounce back

Sports Illustrated article on the “unlucky” NCAA teams who might be expected to have a better season this year.

[b]Penn State won't be an NCAA team[/b], but with star guard Talor Battle returning and the maturation of some of the young talent, things should improve in Happy Valley.
Then, will the improvement be enough to keep ED around? Many people are taking the "NCAA or fired" position.

[quote=“State4Life, post:2, topic:1298”][quote]Penn State won’t be an NCAA team, but with star guard Talor Battle returning and the maturation of some of the young talent, things should improve in Happy Valley.
[/quote]
Then, will the improvement be enough to keep ED around? Many people are taking the “NCAA or fired” position.[/quote]

Yes, improvement will keep Ed around, it does not matter what the position is of many people. Have you not been a fan of PSU long enough yet to understand how things work up @ PSU? It takes back to back 7 win seasons after a PSU run to the Sweet 16 to get a coach fired @ PSU! :slight_smile:

[quote="State4Life, post:2, topic:1298"][quote][b]Penn State won't be an NCAA team[/b], but with star guard Talor Battle returning and the maturation of some of the young talent, things should improve in Happy Valley. [/quote] Then, will the improvement be enough to keep ED around? Many people are taking the "NCAA or fired" position.[/quote]

Yes, improvement will keep Ed around, it does not matter what the position is of many people. Have you not been a fan of PSU long enough yet to understand how things work up @ PSU? It takes back to back 7 win seasons after a PSU run to the Sweet 16 to get a coach fired @ PSU! :slight_smile:

Agree…BUT, then only if the coach’s last name has 4 letters. Loyality, oh loyality…sounds so great if you forget the people you are not loyal to. :wink:

If PSU wins double digit games this year, Ed will not be fired. A single digit win total will. At least, it should. To me, if Ed can amass 15 wins, I think you could make a credible argument for his retention.

A credible one? I have to disagree with you on that. And the athletic department unfortunately.

15 wins with 4 starting seniors is acceptable? Expectations have sunk so low. :-[

Does seem low. What’d they play last year, 31? I think 10-8 in conference would be enough, but that would be a lot better then 15 wins overall.

[quote="noobd, post:7, topic:1298"]15 wins with 4 starting seniors is acceptable? Expectations have sunk so low. :-[[/quote]

Does seem low. What’d they play last year, 31? I think 10-8 in conference would be enough, but that would be a lot better then 15 wins overall.

10-8 and he probably wins Coach of the Year in the Big Ten, so you can bet your bottom dollar he’d be retained.

10-8 in conference would be a lock to dance, barring a horrific OOC.

I think I heard this statement before …??.. :stuck_out_tongue:

History 101

2008–09 Big Ten men’s basketball standings
v • d • e Conf Overall
Team W L PCT W L PCT
#8 Michigan State 15 3 .833 31 7 .816
#17 Purdue† 11 7 .611 27 10 .730
Illinois 11 7 .611 24 10 .706
Ohio State 10 8 .556 22 11 .667
Penn State 10 8 .556 27 11 .711
Wisconsin 10 8 .556 20 13 .606
Minnesota 9 9 .500 22 11 .667
Michigan 9 9 .500 21 14 .600
Northwestern 8 10 .444 17 14 .548
Iowa 5 13 .278 15 17 .469
Indiana 1 17 .056

Signed,
Gotta luv Tubby, Baby

[quote="noobd, post:10, topic:1298"][b]10-8 in conference would be a lock to dance[/b], barring a horrific OOC.[/quote]

I think I heard this statement before …??.. :stuck_out_tongue:

History 101

2008–09 Big Ten men’s basketball standings
v • d • e Conf Overall
Team W L PCT W L PCT
#8 Michigan State 15 3 .833 31 7 .816
#17 Purdue† 11 7 .611 27 10 .730
Illinois 11 7 .611 24 10 .706
Ohio State 10 8 .556 22 11 .667
Penn State 10 8 .556 27 11 .711
Wisconsin 10 8 .556 20 13 .606
Minnesota 9 9 .500 22 11 .667
Michigan 9 9 .500 21 14 .600
Northwestern 8 10 .444 17 14 .548
Iowa 5 13 .278 15 17 .469
Indiana 1 17 .056

Signed,
Gotta luv Tubby, Baby

False.

Back then many of us were saying that 10-8 wouldn’t be good enough to get us in.
Now, we are saying that it would be.

It’s all because of the out of conference schedule. We had a pretty good idea it wouldn’t be good enough then, but we know it should be now.

You’re stuck on your Tubby conspiracy theory when history clearly shows it was a Penn State RPI problem

The OOC is better and the conference is better. PSU missed the dance by the slimmest of margins (an Iowa loss).

[quote=“State4Life, post:2, topic:1298”][quote]Penn State won’t be an NCAA team, but with star guard Talor Battle returning and the maturation of some of the young talent, things should improve in Happy Valley.
[/quote]
Then, will the improvement be enough to keep ED around? Many people are taking the “NCAA or fired” position.[/quote]

If he goes above .500 in the Big Ten he will and should be back. on the other hand, if he misses the NIT and finishes in last place again, I think he’s sure to be gone. It is hard to figure out what happens in between, like will 7-11 in the league and a 2nd round NIT appearance satisfy his boss? It might, but Dunn was fired after 8 years so frankly I have no idea how they could keep Ed here without an NCAA appearance in that amount of time.

[quote="State4Life, post:2, topic:1298"][quote][b]Penn State won't be an NCAA team[/b], but with star guard Talor Battle returning and the maturation of some of the young talent, things should improve in Happy Valley. [/quote] Then, will the improvement be enough to keep ED around? Many people are taking the "NCAA or fired" position.[/quote]

If he goes above .500 in the Big Ten he will and should be back. on the other hand, if he misses the NIT and finishes in last place again, I think he’s sure to be gone. It is hard to figure out what happens in between, like will 7-11 in the league and a 2nd round NIT appearance satisfy his boss? It might, but Dunn was fired after 8 years so frankly I have no idea how they could keep Ed here without an NCAA appearance in that amount of time.

The “maturation of some of the young talent” comment is kind of odd. I wouldn’t describe 3 returning seniors as “young talent”, so who is he referring to, Frazier, Sasa, Oliver and maybe Cam? He also refers to the team as “the young Nittany Lions”. I know we’ve had the discussion here, but starting 4 juniors and 1 soph is young? Kentucky was young. How old was OSU, MSU, Purdue, NW and Illinois? Did they lose more than 1 starting player each(not counting Chris Allen)? Did IL lose anybody? I see the 3 guard offense as being the norm. If those 4 mentioned and the 3 freshmen can get serious time(like maybe 2 of them starting) the team could be .500 or better. IMO, starting the same 4 as last year with just someone replacing Babb just won’t cut it. Somebody needs to step up and take a starting spot away. I hope one is Graham, Sasa or Oliver, as that would indicate stronger inside play. Not sure that will happen. More likely a 3 guard offense, like when it was Stan, Talor and Danny. I do think Sasa is a step up from Ott, so even if he doesn’t start, it’s an improvement off the bench, with relatively significant minutes.

The “maturation of some of the young talent” comment is kind of odd. I wouldn’t describe 3 returning seniors as “young talent”, so who is he referring to, Frazier, Sasa, Oliver and maybe Cam? He also refers to the team as “the young Nittany Lions”. I know we’ve had the discussion here, but starting 4 juniors and 1 soph is young? Kentucky was young. How old was OSU, MSU, Purdue, NW and Illinois? Did they lose more than 1 starting player each(not counting Chris Allen)? Did IL lose anybody? I see the 3 guard offense as being the norm. If those 4 mentioned and the 3 freshmen can get serious time(like maybe 2 of them starting) the team could be .500 or better. IMO, starting the same 4 as last year with just someone replacing Babb just won’t cut it. Somebody needs to step up and take a starting spot away. I hope one is Graham, Sasa or Oliver, as that would indicate stronger inside play. Not sure that will happen. More likely a 3 guard offense, like when it was Stan, Talor and Danny. I do think Sasa is a step up from Ott, so even if he doesn’t start, it’s an improvement off the bench, with relatively significant minutes.

I here ya Kid… I didn’t put much/any stock into this review. I don’t think the writer knows much about our PSU team. Seemed like he knows Talor and then jumps to a catch phrase about the young talent. The KEY to this team is productivity by the OLD players. We start 4 seniors for goodness sake. Will the team “click” and be able to win close games…we will see. Young talent will “augment” the 4 seniors.

Ed should 100% be fired if the team has under .500 record in the Big Ten. I really would be surprised if we had a winning record in conference but you never know. Either way, I can see them keeping Ed given the school’s track record. It’s very hard to compete in one of the most competitive conferences in the country when you are not doing everything possible to win. The other schools sure are.

I here ya Kid… I didn’t put much/any stock into this review. I don’t think the writer knows much about our PSU team. Seemed like he knows Talor and then jumps to a catch phrase about the young talent. The KEY to this team is productivity by the OLD players. We start 4 seniors for goodness sake. Will the team “click” and be able to win close games…we will see. Young talent will “augment” the 4 seniors.

You may be right, but I think it will be 3 guard offense a majority of the time, Talor, and the other two spots Tim, Trey, Taran. So, not 4 seniors. I think Tim is an especially interesting case. IMO, what gets you able to create your own good shots is a good handle, and after Gottlieb talked about his difficulty using his left hand, it became more noticeable. I thought Tim should’ve gotten much more time last year. He made a lot of mistakes, TO’s, dumb fouls, but that should be expected of frosh(someone posted a Jay Wright article awhile back about letting frosh make mistakes). There will be major comp for playing time at guard. I just can’t see how it’s a 2 guard offense, unless one or more of the 3 “T’s” isn’t strong enough. Don’t see it happening.

Good point Kid…A 3 guard offense takes a little pressure off of our “bigs” concerning foul trouble. Until I see otherwise I worry about our back-up big guys.

Don’t forget about Jermaine Marshall. I know it’s been a while since he’s played in a competitive game, but I’m excited to see what he can do.

Also, I really don’t think Tim’s left is as bad as advertised. Nobody said anything about it until a talking head mentioned it (and I think it was Tim Doyle, not Gottlieb). I think it’s one of those cases where it’s only true because someone said it was.

The only way I want Tim playing a lot is if Talor is at the 2 and a good shooter is playing the 3/off guard. Talor is streaky and Tim just flat out won’t shoot an open 3. That makes it awfully easy for the defenders to pack it down low and not allow any of our 6’1’’ guards to get easy looks. We have to have someone keep the defense honest.