PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Should we restructure the recruiting and commitments threads?

Seeing the new freshmen arrive on campus got me to thinking about how this weekend could be viewed as the start of the new season. It also got me to wondering about whether the recruiting and tracking the commitments threads could be organized better.

The way that they are structured now, they are just never ending threads. It’s going to become more and more difficult to go back and find something in them (of course, the positive side of that is that we will only ever have one thread to have to search through for something that we are looking for).

My first thought was that we could just arbitrarily start new recruiting and commitment threads every year when the new freshmen arrive, or the first day of classes every fall, or the opening of basketball practice every season.

Then I thought maybe we’d be better of aligning both of those threads with the actual recruiting class. So we could start 2013, 2014, etc recruiting and commitment tracking threads. If we did that we’d almost have a defined end date for each of the threads so they wouldn’t grow endlessly but the downside would be that the pinned threads at the top would double or triple in size.

Or we could just leave well enough alone and continue to let them grow (at least until we have another system crash and burn ;D ).

I don’t think it’s a particularly big deal but was wondering what others thought (of course, the actual implementation of any change would totally be at the discretion of Ayatollah Beidel).

What say you all?

I think starting separate recruiting/commitment threads is a good idea.

I like the status quo!

I’d think by the end of the late signing period it’d be fair to turn the page on the recruiting thread.

Could the previous years’ commit/recruiting threads then be moved to some archive board for future reference?

Is there a tagging option to the forum software? If so, perhaps that could be used as an easier way of separating and sorting recruits & commits.

I’d like to actually have the year in the title of the thread and then close them out at the end of that period.

I was under the assumption this is what would happen.

I'd like to actually have the year in the title of the thread and then close them out at the end of that period.

Wasn’t it this way in the past?

[quote="think1, post:6, topic:3327"]I'd like to actually have the year in the title of the thread and then close them out at the end of that period.[/quote]

Wasn’t it this way in the past?

I can’t recall it from the past (only been a member here since 10/11).

I like the idea of starting a new thread after the late sitning period.

I do too, but I’d prefer having threads for each recruiting year – the current thread has Taylor’s class, Thorpe and Austin and also Washington’s class. Plus it has some 2015’s in there as well. As of now, we could close out the 2012 thread. Then we could track the commitments within the same thread for that year. So we’d really only have one, maybe two extra threads pinned.

NO NO NO…
Late signing period ended 5-16-12 (see link)
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

There has been MUCHO 2012 recruiting news for PSU after this date. (see: McGlynn, Perez, Lawrence et al)
The present system works fine…WHY change it???

I like the idea of starting a new thread after the late sitning period.

NO NO NO…
Late signing period ended 5-16-12 (see link)
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

There has been MUCHO 2012 recruiting news for PSU after this date. (see: McGlynn, Perez, Lawrence et al)
The present system works fine…WHY change it???

Because there is no real organization and the thread will continue to grow. We should close the thread and make a new one every year. I suggested the late signing period just as a date to use so the recruiting thread can be closed.

How about closing it when classes start?

Like Lar said. Classes have started for our batch of new kids.

I vote for status quo.

We recruit four different classes of kids at one time. Unless everyone really wants 5-8 threads pinned, which I think would make the board very hard to read, the current system is fine. There is a search function if you really want to find someone. Plus with kids changing classes all the time, and typical human laziness, everything will get cluttered all over again anyway.

I spend most of time on this board in both of those threads, and I haven’t had an issue finding something in the past that I looked for.

[quote=“eric17, post:16, topic:3327”]I vote for status quo.

We recruit four different classes of kids at one time. Unless everyone really wants 5-8 threads pinned, which I think would make the board very hard to read, the current system is fine. There is a search function if you really want to find someone. Plus with kids changing classes all the time, and typical human laziness, everything will get cluttered all over again anyway.

I spend most of time on this board in both of those threads, and I haven’t had an issue finding something in the past that I looked for.[/quote]

I agree that it would be too many pinned threads. What if we agree to only pin the threads pertaining to the next class, while the others float? Then, you close that thread at the appropriate time and pin the thread for the next year.

We recruit four different classes of kids at one time. Unless everyone really wants 5-8 threads pinned, which I think would make the board very hard to read, the current system is fine.[/quote]

Just create a new forum just for these archived threads.

How about we don’t close the thread – just unpin them. That way if guys transfer, etc. they can still be used.

I spend most of time on this board in both of those threads, and I haven’t had an issue finding something in the past that I looked for.[/quote]

Disagree because the recruiting and tracking info for a class could be combined into one thread then. So at most 4 of this type of thread (and the farthest out would be rarely used, so no big deal). It’s pretty much the same as now, only better organized. Plus, searching for a name is hard to do if it’s the name you are trying to remember. Makes it easier if you know the class at least.