PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Should have been a Home game tonight

Should have been a Home game tonight - it is always a big weekend in town when there is a home football game - it shouldn’t have been that hard to schedule a team for a friday nite BB game - just my observation

Reasonable observation. Just thinking that if men’s BB was anything other than an afterthought of the Dir. of Athletics, a solid game like this (against a BCS conference opponent) would be highly desirable and something you would make sure would happen. Alas, does not happen.
Just my observation

I disagree 100% I’m SO glad to see us schedule a quality road game. We wouldn’t sell that many more seats playing another game againt the sisters of the poor on a friday night before the students are back. I’d gladly sacrifice the maybe 1000 tickets for the experience the guys gained tonight.

I said BCS opponent, not sisters of the poor.

By the way the Univ. opened the dorms so students have/had the opportunity to be back on campus, plus RV parking lots are full for tomorrow’s MSU game.
However you can forget those FACTS.

You 100% disagree that, that one day/game, coupeled with a BigTen football Saturday, should be a day that we seek to HAVE our team in Univ. Park. That is the day you feel is THE DAY we choose for this ONE BCS OPPONENT GAME. Really? We can play a quality road game any ONE day over a 6 to 7 week OOC period. We happen to have one (as in only one) of those days that is also sharing a major football weekend. I say get a solid game at home, you say get the BB team out of town. That is something I can easily say I disagree 100% with.
Just wondering, how, I state a solid game against a BCS conference opponent gets interpretsd by you to mean a “game against the sisters of the poor?”

Actually, Thanksgiving Friday is one of the more difficult times to schedule a game because many teams are playing in Holiday tournaments. We were scheduled to play in one on the West Coast, then backed out late. That gave us very few options for this weekend. We were actually quite fortunate to find a quality game with Ole Miss. They will be returning the favor next year.

[quote="MarkH, post:3, topic:1550"]I disagree 100% I'm SO glad to see us schedule a quality road game. We wouldn't sell that many more seats playing another game againt the sisters of the poor on a friday night before the students are back. I'd gladly sacrifice the maybe 1000 tickets for the experience the guys gained tonight.[/quote]

By the way the Univ. opened the dorms so students have/had the opportunity to be back on campus, plus RV parking lots are full for tomorrow’s MSU game.
However you can forget those FACTS.
Seriously here is my question to you. Just wondering, how, I state a solid game against a BCS conference opponent and you interpret that to mean a “game against the sisters of the poor?”

If we had managed to find someone to actually come in here and play on Thanksgiving Friday, the chances of it NOT being a little sister would have been quite slim. This game was a last minute arrangement because we cancelled out of the Thanksgiving tournament on the coast. We were very fortunate to find ANY game much less one against a quality opponent. Also when the game was booked, there were no plans to have the dorms open and the game never would have been part of a student ticket package.

[quote="coalcracker, post:1, topic:1550"]Should have been a Home game tonight - it is always a big weekend in town when there is a home football game - it shouldn't have been that hard to schedule a team for a friday nite BB game - just my observation[/quote]

Reasonable observation. Just thinking that if men’s BB was anything other than an afterthought of the Dir. of Athletics, a solid game like this (against a BCS conference opponent) would be highly desirable and something you would make sure would happen. Alas, does not happen.
Just my observation

The AD doesn’t book the games so don’t point a finger at him. Plus, as I mentioned in the other posts, Thanksgiving Friday is not an easy night to book any game, much less book a quality opponent.

Now if you want to talk in generalities (i.e. book a home game on a football Friday), I agree with you. But this specific game, on this specific day, had slim to no chance of coming off.

Have to play on the road sometimes. But, you wonder why Ole Miss. Long trip…deep south…??
Maybe we had a prior relationship with their coach? Maybe they pay well?

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:1550”]Have to play on the road sometimes. But, you wonder why Ole Miss. Long trip…deep south…??
Maybe we had a prior relationship with their coach? Maybe they pay well?[/quote]

Maybe they were the only team available (see above posts).

We were lucky, repeat lucky, to get them. They were a perfect opponent. Quit complaining just because we lost.

which is why I’ve always been in favor of the holiday tourneys. Usually get one decent opponent and get some travel experience in teh OoC. However, given our recent success in holiday tourneys…

[quote="UncleLar, post:5, topic:1550"]Actually, Thanksgiving Friday is one of the more difficult times to schedule a game because many teams are playing in Holiday tournaments. We were scheduled to play in one on the West Coast, then backed out late. That gave us very few options for this weekend. We were actually quite fortunate to find a quality game with Ole Miss. They will be returning the favor next year.[/quote]

which is why I’ve always been in favor of the holiday tourneys. Usually get one decent opponent and get some travel experience in teh OoC. However, given our recent success in holiday tourneys…

I like the holiday tourneys too, but the problem is we use that to build our OCC resume instead of playing a true road game once in a while. We really should do both.

[quote="coalcracker, post:1, topic:1550"]Should have been a Home game tonight - it is always a big weekend in town when there is a home football game - it shouldn't have been that hard to schedule a team for a friday nite BB game - just my observation[/quote]

Just my observation

Now if you want to talk in generalities (i.e. book a home game on a football Friday), I agree with you. But this specific game, on this specific day, had slim to no chance of coming off.

Yeah, I am speaking in generalities. Relative to specific game/day scenerio I guess Ole Miss diidn’t get the slim to no chance of the game coming off memo.

Just my observation

Yeah, I am speaking in generalities. Relative to specific game/day scenerio I guess Ole Miss diidn’t get the slim to no chance of the game coming off memo.

… and they are coming here next year so we are both fortunate to have found each other.

Next year’s game is likely to be on a weekend with no home game, since PSU is on the road the last two weeks.