PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Shawn Oakman

According to the link below, Shawn is committing to Penn State for football but also intends to play hoops. He’s a 6’9 PF. Check it out (I got this from the FOS boards): http://www.slamonline.com/online/kicks/2011/01/brandon-jennings-invitational/

Well, certainly hard to turn away a guy who at worst is an athletic, huge post presence to bang around against in practice.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

11 AM Lansdowne (PA) Penn Wood vs Los Angeles (CA) Crenshaw

For this cross-country matchup I spoke to a duo from each team: Penn Wood’s Aaron Brown (6-5 senior wing who is committed to West Virginia) and Shawn Oakman (6-9 senior PF who is committed to Penn State, where he’ll definitely play football and probabably hoop, too)

Shouldn’t that read “proBabbably” ;D

[quote="State4Life, post:1, topic:1818"]According to the link below, Shawn is committing to Penn State for football but also intends to play hoops. He's a 6'9 PF. Check it out (I got this from the FOS boards): [url=http://www.slamonline.com/online/kicks/2011/01/brandon-jennings-invitational/]http://www.slamonline.com/online/kicks/2011/01/brandon-jennings-invitational/[/url][/quote]

agree…he will play football and then more football

Honestly if he plays basketball (with how successful our FB program has been in the last five seasons), he isn’t going to be playing games until the Big 10 schedule starts up. Not the best time to be bringing in a new piece.

Not saying the kid is Julius Peppers but if he’s good enough to contribute you let him whenever he comes to play.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:7, topic:1818”]Not saying the kid is Julius Peppers but if he’s good enough to contribute you let him whenever he comes to play.[/quote]I’m with you on this one. We will need a big man that can play in the worst way next year. If he can play and wants to make it happen.

I think it would be great if Oakman could contribute to the basketball team. I also like that he wants to play basketball for us, that’s always a plus.

So I came across ESPNs write up for our big men recruits. I thought it was interesting how they compared to Oakman’s.

Ackerman (88 rating, #38 C)

Alexis (87 rating, #49 C)

Oakman (88 rating, #44 C)

Based on the write-ups, I’m not convinced Oakman wouldn’t give us the best chance at the 5 position. He certainly seems to have athleticism that the other two don’t. Obviously, if he plays at all he won’t be the “answer” at the center position but he does rate well as compared to our other recruits.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:10, topic:1818”]So I came across ESPNs write up for our big men recruits. I thought it was interesting how they compared to Oakman’s.

Based on the write-ups, I’m not convinced Oakman wouldn’t give us the best chance at the 5 position. He certainly seems to have athleticism that the other two don’t. Obviously, if he plays at all he won’t be the “answer” at the center position but he does rate well as compared to our other recruits.[/quote]

I have no doubt that Oakman could be a contributor as a FULL TIME basketball player. But, unless you are some sort of super athletic freak, competing at the Big Ten level in two major sports is virtually impossible. Plus, I suspect once he discovers what his time commitment is going to be for football and academics, he’s very likely to have second thoughts about the whole hoops on the side idea.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:10, topic:1818"]So I came across ESPNs write up for our big men recruits. I thought it was interesting how they compared to Oakman's.

Based on the write-ups, I’m not convinced Oakman wouldn’t give us the best chance at the 5 position. He certainly seems to have athleticism that the other two don’t. Obviously, if he plays at all he won’t be the “answer” at the center position but he does rate well as compared to our other recruits.[/quote]

I have no doubt that Oakman could be a contributor as a FULL TIME basketball player. But, unless you are some sort of super athletic freak, competing at the Big Ten level in two major sports is virtually impossible. Plus, I suspect once he discovers what his time commitment is going to be for football and academics, he’s very likely to have second thoughts about the whole hoops on the side idea.

Can we finally put this to bed?

From a $$BWI$$ article on Oakman.

“Basketball has really helped me in football, especially with my footwork,” Oakman said. “I will miss playing basketball but look forward to my football career at Penn State.”

He’ll probably redshirt his freshman year at PSU - most OL do. Why not let him play hoops to keep his competitive edge?

I guess I was wrong, it didn’t put it to bed. ::slight_smile:

[quote="Great Santini, post:13, topic:1818"]He'll probably redshirt his freshman year at PSU - most OL do. Why not let him play hoops to keep his competitive edge?[/quote]

The ironic thing about your “put this to bed” post, Lar, is that this thread was in hibernation since January. And you had to go and wake it up. :wink:

[quote="Great Santini, post:13, topic:1818"]He'll probably redshirt his freshman year at PSU - most OL do. Why not let him play hoops to keep his competitive edge?[/quote]

The ironic thing about your “put this to bed” post, Lar, is that this thread was in hibernation since January. And you had to go and wake it up. :wink:

Very valid point.

Very valid point.

I’m glad it was re-opened. I seemed to have missed Lar’s conversion from stat guy to “eyeballs”. I thought it would be posthumous, like Red Auerbach going the other way. :wink:

According to the link below, Shawn is committing to Penn State for football but also intends to play hoops. He's a 6'9 PF. Check it out (I got this from the FOS boards): [url=http://www.slamonline.com/online/kicks/2011/01/brandon-jennings-invitational/]http://www.slamonline.com/online/kicks/2011/01/brandon-jennings-invitational/[/url]