PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Seton Hall 73 - ~itt 66

Hey noobd, nice game and thanks. I can’t wait until ~itt is a 2nd division ACC team in hoops and football. Remember…things DO change! It won’t take a lot for ~itt to lose it’s Pittsburgh fan base. Most of the fan base were just bandwagon jumpers anyway! They will fall off after a couple of bumps in the road.

It took SHU a while BUT they finally figured out that you MUST defend Gibbs at ALL COSTS to beat ~itt. The other players are just not offensive PTPers. Some of the ~itt shot attempts in the last 5 minutes were just awful! SHU made some dumb mistakes ( fouling Gibbs on a 3 attempt and the foul by Pope running up the floor after a SHU rebound) BUT SHU made the plays in the clutch. The pick and roll basket by Pope was “golden!” Plus Pope sinking the fouls in the clutch were big also.

Does Pitt have a real following outside the counties surrounding Pittsburgh? For all the Panthers’ success, I don’t feel like they are on the radar nationally as much as they should be.

This year’s dip just makes their long run all the more remarkable for me.

[quote=“tjb, post:2, topic:3071”]Does Pitt have a real following outside the counties surrounding Pittsburgh? For all the Panthers’ success, I don’t feel like they are on the radar nationally as much as they should be.

This year’s dip just makes their long run all the more remarkable for me.[/quote]

I am an oldtimer and have lived in Pgh my entire life except for my PSU years. ~itt has a VERY SMALL fan base of hard core alums. The rest of the fans (huge majority) are just fair weather (VERY fair weather) fans who support the home town city team when they have a winner. Most are not even alums! They could care less when the team is middle of the road or is a loser. Somewhat typical of inner city universities.

Only caught the second half (last night was rough) but freshman Aaron Cosby came through in the clutch – 19 points on 12 shots. Pitt played some poor defense and Seton Hall ended on an 18-5 run (last 8 minutes.) Not sure about that flagrant at the end, but it didn’t really matter.

Unfortunate to see Gibbs go out without making the NCAA tournament (likely).

Does Pitt have a real following outside the counties surrounding Pittsburgh? For all the Panthers' success, I don't feel like they are on the radar nationally as much as they should be.

This year’s dip just makes their long run all the more remarkable for me.

I am an oldtimer and have lived in Pgh my entire life except for my PSU years. ~itt has a VERY SMALL fan base of hard core alums. The rest of the fans (huge majority) are just fair weather (VERY fair weather) fans who support the home town city team when they have a winner. Most are not even alums! They could care less when the team is middle of the road or is a loser. Somewhat typical of inner city universities.

I will disagree with Tundra here, I think Pitt has a decent fan base in the surrounding counties…I grew up in Johnstown and am there often enough to visit friends and family. I know a number of people who have season tickets to the Pete and the local paper (Tribune Democrat) usually send a report to cover the home games. I believe it is a combination of Pitt (main campus and UPJ) alums and non-alum basketball fans. I have friends in Westmoreland Cnty and I believe they would also concur that Pitt has a good fan base there as well.

I would like to use this post as an opportunity to dismiss another of the prevalent myths on this board that seem to be accepted as fact. The Johnstown/Altoona area has a lot of basketball fans out there; McCort, Johnstown, Altoona, BG and Hollidaysburg high schools all have a long history of good hoops programs (CAPPY can attest to this); many state that wrestling is the number one sport in the area. That’s true for certain schools, but none of the ones listed above. I know there are many fans of college basketball in the area; if PC puts a winning product on the floor, fans from the area will come out (baring inclement weather). They did in the early days of the BJC.