PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Service Academies to the Big East?

There’s some discussion this morning about the service academies going to the Big East. Not sure if it’s just for football or for all sports. I’m sure Ed DeChellis would just love to be a Big East doormat at USNA.

This article says “football” only:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/21/big-east-navy-airforce.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a3

This should raise the level of league play to almost PSAC level.

The Big East as a football conference is toast regardless, I feel. Now that it looks as if the “Big 12 minus 4” is looking to stick together and add a few others (SMU, Houston, TCU, BYU are all possibilities)…what’s the Big East to do.

WVU (unless the SEC changes its tune)
Louisville
Cincinnati
USF
TCU (unless the Big 12 comes knocking, which it should)
UConn (pending ACC invite)
Rutgers (pending ACC invite)

Even if they add:
Army
Navy
Air Force
Villanova (if they upgrade to D1A)
UCF (FAU, FIU or how bout just FU - Furman University that is ;))
ECU
Temple
Memphis (The Big East would love to add them in hoops…but not so much on the gridiron)

It still gives the Big East the feel of an upgraded MAC type league, if that.

Here’s a good article on the subject in today’s Memphis Commercial Appeal:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/sep/22/big-east-seems-to-look-past-u-of-m/

East Carolina applies:

Maybe they can all just drop down to the FCS (1-AA) and play for a real championship, since they’ll never again have a chance to play for the fake BCS one.

Old news. :wink:

Don’t count on it. I think it’s just a new approach.

Lawsuits are being threatened against both teams leaving and conferences that “lure” them.

It’s starting to go underground, that’s all.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:2683”]The Big East as a football conference is toast regardless, I feel. Now that it looks as if the “Big 12 minus 4” is looking to stick together and add a few others (SMU, Houston, TCU, BYU are all possibilities)…what’s the Big East to do.

WVU (unless the SEC changes its tune)
Louisville
Cincinnati
USF
TCU (unless the Big 12 comes knocking, which it should)
UConn (pending ACC invite)
Rutgers (pending ACC invite)

Even if they add:
Army
Navy
Air Force
Villanova (if they upgrade to D1A)
UCF (FAU, FIU or how bout just FU - Furman University that is ;))
ECU
Temple
Memphis (The Big East would love to add them in hoops…but not so much on the gridiron)

It still gives the Big East the feel of an upgraded MAC type league, if that.

Here’s a good article on the subject in today’s Memphis Commercial Appeal:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/sep/22/big-east-seems-to-look-past-u-of-m/[/quote]

How is that any different than before?

True…seeing that they only lost Pitt and Syracuse, why would anything change.

Skeeza…it now seems that the Big 12 (minus 3) will be staying together with the hiring of a new commissioner and a new agreement pending on TV rights.

The conference should look to lasso TCU into the mix to make a 10th team, seeing that Texas A&M looks to be good as gone.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:9, topic:2683”]True…seeing that they only lost Pitt and Syracuse, why would anything change.

Skeeza…it now seems that the Big 12 (minus 3) will be staying together with the hiring of a new commissioner and a new agreement pending on TV rights.

The conference should look to lasso TCU into the mix to make a 10th team, seeing that Texas A&M looks to be good as gone.[/quote]

That’s the same song and dance the BIG XII has been doing for a year and a half. Remember, they vowed to stay together right after Nebraska and Colorado left.

Reality = The SEC needs a 14th school. If they offer Missou, then Missou is gone. OKlahoma and Ok St are only staying because the PAC-12 siad no thanks publicly. Also keep in mind, there are talks of lawsuits being thrown around at the SEC for luring Tex A&M. Do you think the PAC-12 realizes this and says, “we can NOT make a public plea for the schools to join, they must disassociate themselves from their present conference, THEN we can welcome the school.”

They still have NOT resolved any of the issues that got them to this point to begin with. They still do NOT have equal revenue sharing, Texas still has not budged from it’s TLN, …and the “agreement” has not yet been signed.

Word is, Texas is already waffling on the “agreement”.

Skeeza,

I can see where you are coming from in regards to the Big 12 not being so settled. They still need an agreement and nine signatures…

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/09/22/big12.agreement/?xid=cnnbin

Though things have seemed to settle down a little from earlier this week when everyone was jumping ship in the wake of the Pitt/Syracuse move.

Now if Mizzou does decide to stay with the Big 12 (Texas A&M is good as gone), then what will the SEC do for a 14th? Go back to WVU and say we’re interested? Well that would be adding another “Yankee school”. And trust me, even as silly as it may seem and it being 150 years after the fact, the good ole boy network is still not too keen on taking an outsider into their family. But who is really left at this point? Florida/Georgia/South Carolina won’t want FSU/GaTech/Clemson to join their party. So then you go back to looking at stealing someone from the Big 12 again or is Louisville an option as my fellow Atlantan, and in-the-know man, Chuck Oliver is sort of reporting. But then Kentucky can squash that notion like FL/GA/SC can do.

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/09/sec-wants-louisville-as-14th-member-academics-leave-wvu-out/

The more I see, the more I’m glad that The Big Ten looks as if it is staying put.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:2683”]Skeeza,

I can see where you are coming from in regards to the Big 12 not being so settled. They still need an agreement and nine signatures…

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/09/22/big12.agreement/?xid=cnnbin

Though things have seemed to settle down a little from earlier this week when everyone was jumping ship in the wake of the Pitt/Syracuse move.

Now if Mizzou does decide to stay with the Big 12 (Texas A&M is good as gone), then what will the SEC do for a 14th? Go back to WVU and say we’re interested? Well that would be adding another “Yankee school”. And trust me, even as silly as it may seem and it being 150 years after the fact, the good ole boy network is still not too keen on taking an outsider into their family. But who is really left at this point? Florida/Georgia/South Carolina won’t want FSU/GaTech/Clemson to join their party. So then you go back to looking at stealing someone from the Big 12 again or is Louisville an option as my fellow Atlantan, and in-the-know man, Chuck Oliver is sort of reporting. But then Kentucky can squash that notion like FL/GA/SC can do.

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/09/sec-wants-louisville-as-14th-member-academics-leave-wvu-out/

The more I see, the more I’m glad that The Big Ten looks as if it is staying put.[/quote]

Can’t see that happening. Do you really think the SEC will try to land another school from that highly prized viewing metropolice known as Kentucky? I think the SEC will be very, very selective, much like the BIG TEN, on who they bring in and what that school will bring to the table. Louisville brings next to nothing. They would be better served getting Tulsa, at least they would get new markets.

I think their best option (the one most likely to accept a bid) would be Missou, and I would bet that Missou would LEAP at the opportunity. It’s a perfect fit. After all, Missouri was a slave state too !!! :wink: