PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Selection Sunday Reaction(s) - Non PSU

I don’t mean to start my own thread, but it looks like the SS - IGT is already many pages deep.

In a nutshell: Clemson and UAB are not deserving over Colorado. The eye test needs to stop being said and Dick Vitale is as biased as they come. If you want to read more: http://thebracketman.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/selection-sunday-reaction-eye-test-shut-up-vitale/

Discuss and argue people!

I’ve been a fan of Jay Bilas, but he is just making incorrect statements on twitter. Harvard and Saint Mary’s do NOT have better resumes than VCU. Not even close.

The only team I really feel got snubbed was VT. It seems like they’re always getting denied even though they’re always on good footing going into selection Sunday.

I do not feel Colorado got snubbed. Personally, I like their squad and respect what they achieved this year. However, their OOC SOS was horrific, and that’s the same reason we didn’t get a bid two years ago. Fair or not, the standards are what they are. Bad OOC SOS = no soup for you!

Admittedly, I’m scratching my head on the Clemson pick. I still don’t get why they’re in. I really don’t. Zero wins against the top 50 is just not something I’d expect to see from a tourney team. I would have switched them out for VT. The rest of the bubble picks were tossups, IMHO.

As for the Big Ten, I thought that some got fairly higher seeds than I thought they would get. The committee clearly likes the Big Ten and makes me think that we might not have needed a win over MSU on Saturday to get in.

OSU and Purdue are where they should be.

Wisconsin a 4 seed - only if they are playing the tourney at the Kohl Center.

Michigan an 8 seed - they were one Illinois loss away from being on the bubble. Though they do pass the eye test, I guess.

Illinois a 9 seed - my wife was sweating it out and I thought they would be playing in Dayton to start. Also, they are 6-10 in the last 16, with no real :o wins in that stretch.

PSU and MSU a 10 seed - OK, that’s not too far off.

4 seeds: ranked 13-16
8 seeds: ranked 29-32
9 seeds: ranked 33-36
10 seeds: ranked 37-40

What was our RPI? What do you know, 39!

I find it somewhat interesting (though I’m not sure why), that the three OOC losses we fretted about so much before picking up some B1G wins all ended up being to teams not in the tourney, and in Maryland’s case, not even in the NIT.

Maryland didn’t make the NIT?

That might surprise me more than any of the tourney snubs…

[quote=“Spades88, post:7, topic:2140”]Maryland didn’t make the NIT?

That might surprise me more than any of the tourney snubs…[/quote]

Nope. Here’s the bracket.

Maryland declined a CBI bid, too

[quote="Spades88, post:7, topic:2140"]Maryland didn't make the NIT?

That might surprise me more than any of the tourney snubs…[/quote]

Nope. Here’s the bracket.

Oh wow. I didn’t realize just how crowded the bubble was until I looked over that. A lot of good teams in there. I guess I’m not surprised Maryland missed out. I can see how they didn’t beat out most of those teams (the ones I’m familiar with, at least). Harvard getting a 6 seed is interesting, too. I think they got a bit shafted on that one. Dudes can’t catch a break.

Good to see NW in there with a 4 seed. Hoping that either they or Nebraska make a run and take the title. :slight_smile:

Can’t blame 'em. I wouldn’t expect any team from a power conference to accept an invite to that tourney, except maybe for teams with ultra-young rosters who want the added experience…

Twitter suggests Maryland, Southern Miss, Iowa, Minny have all declined CBI bids.

CIT field:

Air Force (15-15), Buffalo (18-13), East Carolina (18-15), East Tennessee State (22-11), Furman (22-10), Hawaii (18-12), Idaho (18-13), Iona (22-11), Jacksonville (19-11), Marshall (22-11), North Dakota (19-14), Northern Arizona (19-12), Northern Iowa (19-13), Ohio (18-15), Oral Roberts (19-15), Portland (20-11), Quinnipiac (22-9), Rider (23-10), San Francisco (17-14), Santa Clara (19-14), SMU (17-14), Tennessee Tech (20-12), Western Michigan (20-12) and Valparaiso (23-11).

Oregon’s in the CBI

Did Minny decline the NIT too or just weren’t offered?

Did Minny decline the NIT too or just weren’t offered?

Must’ve turned down all offers, like Maryland…since Minn. is not in the CBI.com tourney either. I guess after a 1-10 finish, they just wanted the season to mercifully end. Can’t blame 'em, really.

I think this is the weakest NCAA field I have ever seen. At the top anyway! tO$U is the best team BUT they only have 5 good players. When they run into teams that play fast and refs that will call fouls they are in trouble; particularly Sullinger. He pushes a lot going after rebounds.~itt is 2nd best. They are solid and play smart. Duke plays fearless but…Purdue looks great then lays eggs (see MSU game.) I don’t buy the “parody” crap. BYU may be the worst 3 seed ever! Barkley is “right on” about the Big (L)East.
So…I don’t have any idea who will win title. I just hope it’s NOT ~itt. I think picking brackets this year will be very hard. Mucho upsets.
I like PSU’s draw…We can make MPG (Major Panache Gains) this year!

[quote=“khenders64, post:15, topic:2140”]>Did Minny decline the NIT too or just weren’t offered?

Must’ve turned down all offers, like Maryland…since Minn. is not in the CBI.com tourney either. I guess after a 1-10 finish, they just wanted the season to mercifully end. Can’t blame 'em, really.[/quote]

CBI comes with a huge price tag.

I think it would be tough for any team to take an invite. I look at the list of schools who did and wonder how far back it will put thier Athletic Department budget.

I just can’t see why any school would PAY to be in the 4th tier tourney.

[quote=“tundra, post:16, topic:2140”]I think this is the weakest NCAA field I have ever seen. At the top anyway! tO$U is the best team BUT they only have 5 good players. When they run into teams that play fast and refs that will call fouls they are in trouble; particularly Sullinger. He pushes a lot going after rebounds.~itt is 2nd best. They are solid and play smart. Duke plays fearless but…Purdue looks great then lays eggs (see MSU game.) I don’t buy the “parody” crap. BYU may be the worst 3 seed ever! Barkley is “right on” about the Big (L)East.
So…I don’t have any idea who will win title. I just hope it’s NOT ~itt. I think picking brackets this year will be very hard. Mucho upsets.
I like PSU’s draw…We can make MPG (Major Panache Gains) this year! [/quote]

Weak, you think? Maybe no dominant team, but some pretty serious 2, 3 and 4 seeds, e.g., Syracuse, KY, Louisville, Purdue, ND, UConn. I’m hoping we beat Temple and run into weak conference SDSU team.