PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Selection Show

Man, these things are annoying. All these superficial interviews. Love Bill Self though, sorry he left the Big 10. Hope we get Shaka.

Seth Davis is Andy Katz with more polish. A no-value-add commentator.

Top two seeds - renegade programs!

Sparty gets a One Seed!

From your mouth to G-d’s ears. :slight_smile:

WOW! IONA IS IN!!! :o

Its interesting that there isn’t much arguments on the last 4 in and last 4 out this year.

I was more surprised BYU got in. Iona was certainly off the radar.

NW fans have to be livid that Iona got in over them.

Bonnies drew FSU. Our neighbors over the border are running into a buzzsaw.

I don’t follow this stuff very seriously. BUT how can Washington finish 14-4 and win the PAC 12 and not be selected over BigLeast teams that finished 9th or so in a not extremely tough conference. I followed WVU. They really hustle…but no way should they be in the dance.
and…South Florida…give me a break!! Didn’t they say the top committee guy was on the BigLeast payroll??

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:3171”]I don’t follow this stuff very seriously. BUT how can Washington finish 14-4 and win the PAC 12 and not be selected over BigLeast teams that finished 9th or so in a not extremely tough conference. I followed WVU. They really hustle…but no way should they be in the dance.
and…South Florida…give me a break!! Didn’t they say the top committee guy was on the BigLeast payroll??[/quote]

Because the Pac10 wasn’t a good conference this year (probably the worst year that a major has had in recent memory). They were 11th in RPI, and winning the 11th ranked conference with 4 losses certainly isn’t enough to bring home a bid when your best non-conference win was over a team with an RPI of 118th. They had ZERO wins over teams that are in the tourney (they went 0-6 against tourney teams, and only 2 of those 6 were top 25 teams. Calling a conference funny names like the “Big Least” doesn’t change the fact all 9 of those teams clearly deserved to be in over Washington (and a team that was left out, Seton Hall, also should have been ahead of Washington had it mattered).

I don't follow this stuff very seriously. BUT how can Washington finish 14-4 and win the PAC 12 and not be selected over BigLeast teams that finished 9th or so in a not extremely tough conference. I followed WVU. They really hustle................but no way should they be in the dance. and....South Florida.........give me a break!! Didn't they say the top committee guy was on the BigLeast payroll??

Because the Pac10 wasn’t a good conference this year (probably the worst year that a major has had in recent memory). They were 11th in RPI, and winning the 11th ranked conference with 4 losses certainly isn’t enough to bring home a bid when your best non-conference win was over a team with an RPI of 118th. They had ZERO wins over teams that are in the tourney (they went 0-6 against tourney teams, and only 2 of those 6 were top 25 teams. Calling a conference funny names like the “Big Least” doesn’t change the fact all 9 of those teams clearly deserved to be in over Washington (and a team that was left out, Seton Hall, also should have been ahead of Washington had it mattered).

I think we have to get over the idea that there are 6 big conferences and everyone else. Especially in basketball. I think there is really a big 7 that includes the Mountain West, and other leagues like the A-10, Horizon and Missouri Valley will sometimes be as strong as the traditional majors. This year the Pac-12 was not a top 8 conference, maybe not even top 10. So it’s not surprising.

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:3171”]I don’t follow this stuff very seriously. BUT how can Washington finish 14-4 and win the PAC 12 and not be selected over BigLeast teams that finished 9th or so in a not extremely tough conference. I followed WVU. They really hustle…but no way should they be in the dance.
and…South Florida…give me a break!! Didn’t they say the top committee guy was on the BigLeast payroll??[/quote]
So we were going to be a bad loss if Northwestern loss to us, but we didn’t hurt South Florida’s RPI?

I guess Tubby wasn’t black enough this year. ::slight_smile:

I don't follow this stuff very seriously. BUT how can Washington finish 14-4 and win the PAC 12 and not be selected over BigLeast teams that finished 9th or so in a not extremely tough conference. I followed WVU. They really hustle................but no way should they be in the dance. and....South Florida.........give me a break!! Didn't they say the top committee guy was on the BigLeast payroll??

Didn’t Washington beat Long Beach State? Their RPI had to be higher than 118.

who do the big least think they are takin up all the bids man. who made the big least king of the world?

heh, South Florida, who woulda thunk it? a loss to PSU on their resume but that didn’t stop em. they’re in the big least man. over washington winner of the pac10 lol. they lost a lot of non conference games. scored only 40 points in a double digit loss to auburn sheesh. they’re just givin away bids at this point huh?

To be fair, you could have thrown that argument our way last year when we lost to Maine, and didn’t even score 40 on our home floor vs Maryland.

water under the bridge man, water under the bridge.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:3171"]I don't follow this stuff very seriously. BUT how can Washington finish 14-4 and win the PAC 12 and not be selected over BigLeast teams that finished 9th or so in a not extremely tough conference. I followed WVU. They really hustle................but no way should they be in the dance. and....South Florida.........give me a break!! Didn't they say the top committee guy was on the BigLeast payroll??[/quote]

Didn’t Washington beat Long Beach State? Their RPI had to be higher than 118.

No, they didn’t.

Of course it hurt their RPI. However, they did enough in the rest of their games that their RPI still came in at 27th. Northwestern finished with an RPI of 65th (they got hurt from some bad luck the last few days as their RPI was 57th after the loss to Minnesota on Thursday night).